SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
spike552
spike552 is on a distinguished road

Default TCM reprogram?

ok i have a 2005 saturn ion 2.2L and were pretty sure the TCM is goin, what i need to know is if i purchase a used one from ebay from a chevy cobalt which looks exactly like whats on my saturn, do i have to have some gm certified tech program it, or does the programming only pertain to a new in the box tcm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spike552's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spike552 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spike552 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
satlite440
Advanced Member
satlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2
Default Re: TCM reprogram?

tcm will have to be programmed to your vin bro...tcm's rarely fail unless voltage spiked..why do you think you need a replacement ? do you have codes? do you have ****ing issues with your 4t45E?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you need one for an ion, iirc. they have different protocols, even if the TCM model #s are the same. the TCM needs to be programmed to your vin, but dealers will often only program new ones bought through them, so check before buying a used one. I second the question, why do you think it's bad? these transmissions and tcms are typically solid.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
satlite440
Advanced Member
satlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

well for the record as a gm trans tec i feel the 4t45e is less than robust at 60k and up the direct cluch or forward cluch piston seals leak or the bushing and scarff seal in the low roller cluch wear.. the 4t65 is better and the 4t80 is the best of the old sidewinders... and once again any codes? also at my dealer we would do a reflash on a straight time only basis.. sometimes used modules don't program of cause other issues that affect other modules and we would make no garuntee of it... and if the underlieing problem is still there it will return as all you have done is replaced the watchdog and not caught the burgler..... gen 3 ecm/pcm/tcm modules are very robust and we have a very low fail rate like less than 3% of a platform/car line in the feild if some shop is telling you this you need another opinion.. run don't walk bro...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
spike552
spike552 is on a distinguished road

well i jiggle the tcm i get a code, i reset code and jiggle tcm again i get a code, did that bout 8 times lol, and yes the wires and connectors are all intact. The retard portion of this is the fact that i get DTC that arent related to the actually problem. So it doesnt really matter where i get a tcm from cuz it has to programmed by a gm tech, and i will call before buying one thnx.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spike552's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spike552 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spike552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

sounds like the TCM, or maybe even the ECM's connector the TCM plugs into. the harness plugs into the TCM, then the TCM plugs into the ECM.

and satlite440, I have to disagree. you may see a high failure rate in a heavier car, or more extreme conditions (mountains), but between the forums ions and cobalts see a relatively low failure rate of the transmission. on ions the CVT is the one to watch out for, otherwise the 4 and 5 speed autos are pretty bulletproof. including the "cluches" and seals.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

Last edited by 2006 ion2; 08-10-2011 at 05:39 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote