SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #81
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1
Default Re: Breaking the code

If math is set up for bar it would possibly be 3 or 4 digits. Psia 3 with decimal point. The scangauge ii has a manual for the custom PID reading. I'll look at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #82
David R
David R is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Just going to interject something here, I've read else where, or maybe even the parent of this thread that the machine (pcm) runs metric, so PSI isn't likely, can't say for sure though.

I've had a MAP sensor on the test bench for awhile. My DVM only reads 3 1/2 digits, but it wanders from +4.71 to 4.79, you may be seeing 3 decimal places from the map sensor. Could be atmospheric calibration, were the +4 is assumed.

Just a tought, keep at guys.

~I'm not an authority on anything~

2009 Astra XE 5sp 175K km
2000 Honda Civic SI 5sp 172K km, AKA EX Coupe - Gone
1997 SW2 DOHC Auto 325K km - Stored for winter, used in summer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #83
SabercatPuck
SabercatPuck is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Hmm out of the game for awhile and looks like someone took up the mantle. I am starting to ease back into this project. I am well on my way to programming a reverse assembler so that I can evaluate the data coming off of the logic analyzer easier. Hoping to have it up and fully functional (probably take awhile longer to make it pretty) in the next few weeks. You can see more here:
http://delcohacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2320
It is based in excel VBA, though I am hoping to port it to Open Office at some point.

Looks like I need to look this thread over good though to see what is new out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SabercatPuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SabercatPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #84
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Here I thought life had intruded on your activities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #85
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

I haven't downloaded the VBA file so maybe it would be self evident why you're doing it this way.

Reverse assembler? Isn't that what used to be a disassenbler?

From a Google search: (first hit)

DHC11 - A 68HC11 Disassembler

This page described a multi-pass code-seeking disassembler for the Motorola 68HC11 and other compatible processors includig the 6800, 6801, 6802, 6803, etc. It includes a number of features to enhance the readability of traditional disassemblies. It has been used by the author for various applications including disassembling GM (including Holden) vehicle ECMs.

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, just feel I'm missing you methodology. Could you elaborate?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #86
SabercatPuck

1999 SL1

A dissasembler takes the information from the raw bin file and turns it into a straight listing of the program, leaving it up to us to work our way through the code, and there is quite a bit of things that get very difficult to trace due to the "black box" nature of the pcm.
The reverse assembler I am designing takes the address and data information from a logic analyzer and turns it into assembler code (for easier reading) that follows the action while it is going. By doing this I can send commands to the PCM and see what the processor does, what memory locations it accesses, and how the internal registers react. That way I can see what it is doing in real time without guessing at things. Makes it real easy to see what is going on. If you look through the stuff on delcohacking where I was going over what I was doing there are a few places where I manually converted the logic analyzer info, but that is very long process when done by hand, hence my desire for the reverse assembler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #87
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Ah...

so you want to take the recorded values from a logic analyzer and do a lookup translation?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #88
SabercatPuck

1999 SL1

Yep, and while I have seen a few different names for it, the one used by hp/agielent was a reverse assembler. I think the program they use is actually a bit smarter as I think it actually can tell if it had false data and edit appropriately. Mine will not be nearly so smart, but so long as the data set is good it should work well. It relies on having a third input beyond the data as well. Going by memory it is the pin called E on the data sheet. This pin goes low when it pulls the first opcode instruction, and since I know how long each instruction is I can see if the next expected instruction is where it belongs at least. That is about the extent of my error checking. Good thing is if it is a bad data set it can be run again.
The hardest thing to deal with gas been excel hating the use of hex numbers. I have to treat everything like text.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #89
SabercatPuck

1999 SL1

Just a heads up that I posted an update on delcohacking. I still have a fair amount of programming to go, but I am starting to get through large enough sections of code to make it useful.
I did find that the other popular term for this is an inverse assembler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #90
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The move to OpenOffice would be nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #91
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Without getting into the nitty-gritty details, I'm curious, does the processor in the Saturn PCM use on chip ROM? Used as a classic boot loader?

I'm sure lots of people are hoping that they'll be able to modify some of the engine operating points. Me I'm hoping that something can be done with the Autotragic programming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #92
SabercatPuck

1999 SL1

There is an on chip ROM but it is used for vehicle specific info. Things like the VIN number and seed/key info. The boot sequence for this Rom is it jumps to the memory location pointed to in the last 2 memory locations in the EEPROM. There are several of these 2 byte vectors at the end of the EEPROM that contain the jump vectors for the hardware interupts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #93
SabercatPuck

1999 SL1

Got the initial coding finished for the reverse assembler. Just need to check for errors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #94
David R

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Again, I'm curious, are you getting data from the PCM while its still connected to the car? Either way I'd find a picture or 2 of your setup entertaining.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #95
SabercatPuck

1999 SL1

At this point I am working in a stand-alone PCM that I hacked (foot or so of the cable assembly too) out of a junk yard car. I got the ABS, air bag, and door lock modules from the same car as well. Might get to them one of these days. I have not done anything yet in terms of hooking up sensors and other inputs to it yet. I figured I had quite a bit to play around with just with sending stuff through the ELM box (322 I think) that I have. The biggest thing that was hampering me was getting good cables for my logic analyzers and then after I knew I could get at least mostly noise free data back from the analyzers the reverse assembler program to be able to put the data into a more readable format. Now it will be time to really start trying to pull the code apart. By the way if there are any sections in particular that anyone is interested in seeing what is happening let me know and I can see what I can do. I can see about snapping a pic or 2 next time I have it set up. I actually did set it up this afternoon when I had run a small section of code that would try to test out most of the opcodes so I could have real life data to compare my reverse assembler output too.

Oh by the way, after doing some research on it, I am not so sure a port to open office is likely to happen anytime soon. It looks like the structure for star basic in open office is different enough that I would have to start from scratch and in that case I may as well look into other options instead. The biggest question is how many people out there working with 68hc11 processors are looking for a way to work with data from a logic analyzer by running it through a reverse assembler, and if I am only doing it to help myself what I have now is workable at least. I figure there may be a handful of people working on car and robotics projects out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #96
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Problem with excel is it comes in a half dozen moderately incompatible versions. I have an older version but I use it so often I would have to go look and see which version it is, 97 IIRC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!