SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
surreptitious77
surreptitious77 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy SC1 issues.

I've got a 2000 SC1 and it's having some issues.

At first, it was just when driving more than about 30 miles in one trip but then it didn't want to go across my small town. It died on me when I stopped at lights/stop signs and has progressed to trying to die when I'm going down the road. It doesn't idle when parked for long either.

When I park the car and turn it off and leave it off for a little while, it starts up and goes fine for a while and does the same thing.

I replaced the EGR valve this morning and it idled for about 5 mins before it died. I decided to drive it and it got me across town and what not but towards the very end of my short trip it bogged down and tried to die while I was going down the road again...

I don't know what to try now... maybe the cord that is connected to the EGR valve?

I took the car to Pep Boys a few months ago and they told me that I had a pay-box thing in the car that "Buy Here, Pay Here" places install to be sure whoever bought the car finished paying for it. They said that it was wired extremely badly and could be causing the car not to run right... I am open to suggestions on how to take it out efficiently.

And the last thing, I don't think it's idling right. It's not a steady idle, and after a few seconds the rpms drop. There's also a skip in the idle sound... The idle problem may be related to one of the other issues, I don't know.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surreptitious77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surreptitious77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surreptitious77 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: SC1 issues.

I don't know whether your car has this mystery black box that disables the engine if payments aren't made as a lock out device but your Saturn does have a factory theft deterrent system, Passlock, that works with the remote keyless entry fobs. If there's an aftermarket alarm system you're not aware of and possibly interfering with engine running then you'll have to find out for sure as it may mislead everyone here with repair advice. Factory remotes will have GM embossed on the back cover.

The first thing to check is our How-to library about the infamous coolant sensor. If yours is still the original faulty plastic round nosed one, replace it immediately with the flat nosed brass one. This sensor will cause hard starting with rich fuel mixtures, engine flooding, poor mileage, high idling and transmission issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cracked ects.jpg (39.1 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreptitious77 View Post
I took the car to Pep Boys a few months ago and they told me that I had a pay-box thing in the car that "Buy Here, Pay Here" places install to be sure whoever bought the car finished paying for it. They said that it was wired extremely badly and could be causing the car not to run right...
Did they show you this box, and can you take pictures of it? You'll have to host the picture offsite and paste a link or use IMG tags as you won't be able to directly upload a photo for a while.

edit: I did some searching and couldn't find much info on these. Did see one reference that suggests it is only a starter disable so should not affect the idle or car while running. Seems that when a dealer uses something, they tend to go with GPS locators. Having the car not start does not help the dealer if they don't know whre the car is, whereas knowing whre the car is means they can repo it.

I suspect the Pep Boys mis-identified an aftermarket alarm or remote start kit like fdryer is suggesting.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 08-04-2011 at 08:30 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

If you have a remote aftermarket alarm box, just cut it out and resolder the wires.

I had to do this when I bought my HCE (HomeComing Edition)...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
surreptitious77

They didn't show me the box, only told me that it had one and was wired horribly. I'm going to go attempt to find it.

And also check that coolant sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help surreptitious77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Look up underneath the dash, where the hood latch is...most likely it is mounted up underneath and near the PCM....with wires running through the firewall to the UHJB (Underhood Junction Block).

The ECTS is the 2 Wire Sensor that is on the driver's side of the engine block underneath the EGR Valve. It is mounted with a deep socket 13MM.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
surreptitious77

Ok, found black box...

It's hanging underneath my dash on the drivers side...

I can't post urls on here until I have 15 posts or more though.

The only words on it are a white label that says warranty void if removed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
surreptitious77

Literally hanging, it's not mounted to anything. Just hanging by the wires. It gets in the way so I tried to tuck it away but it doesn't stay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
surreptitious77

If i cut the wires that go to it and solder them back will that still make the car run as if the box were never there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
silvergagt04
silvergagt04 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Attention Re: SC1 issues.

I have removed many a aftermarket alarm and remote starts from used cars at the dealer I worked for but never ran into a pay or stay box before. I would ASSUME that if you cut it out and resoldered the wires together (by matching colors and wire sizes) it will run as though the box is disconnected and the wiring was never molested.

Having said that I don't know what other components are also related to a system like that. Is it hooked into the ignition system or the fuel system? Is it hooked into the theft system? Only you will know when you cut it out.

A world of advice, solder the wires as you cut them out in small batches. Maybe 4 matching wires at a time, that way there should be not possibility of mixing them up when reconnecting them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvergagt04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvergagt04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silvergagt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
surreptitious77

Before I attempt to take the box out, would that even affect my car dying after five mins of idling or trying to die going down the road?

And how hard/expensive would it be to fix it if resoldering the wires didn't work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #12
silvergagt04
silvergagt04 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

As I said before, I have never experienced one of these devices before if that is what it is but the standard thing to do when diagnosing a running problem, atleast for me is to remove none factory add-ons. Could it cause a running problem? In my opinion, anythings possible. But no one can guarantee.

As far as how much it is going to cost if removing the device doesn't cure your concern. Well running problems are usually fuel or ignition related. It could be a fuel pump on its way out, or an ignition module that is intermittently shorting internally, or even a loose or bad ground somewhere. It is hard to say when there is more then one possible cause.

If you want to check other things first, go right ahead. I would start with letting it idle until it dies and then taking all the plug wires off of the coils. Remember to mark them before removing if they are not. Then crank the engine and see if your coils are throwing spark. It should be powerful enough to arch off each other. If they don't it is ignition, more then likely a ignition module or crank sensor. If they do then seeing if you have fuel pressure. Check the fuel pressure with the key on and when cranking. If there is none, more then likely if is the fuel pump. That is enough to start with if you don't want to remove the "black box".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvergagt04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvergagt04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silvergagt04 is offline   Reply With Quote