SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
kcarter2515
kcarter2515 is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Aura Instrument Cluster Problems

Hey Guys,

Yesterday when I took my car out for a drive, I noticed that the gauge needles that normally light up white were dark. It's harder to glance down and see your speed without those needles lighting up! At night, you can see them but they are very dim. The numbers light up with no problems. I took out the entire instrument panel and re-plugged it back in. No luck.

I scheduled an appointment with my local GM dealership. When I took the car in, they poked their head in and started messing with the dimmer switch and they immediately came back on!

I know that this was NOT the case. I played with that dimmer switch all day and nothing seemed to work. Besides, the dimmer switch has no affect on the gauges during the day.

I was driving down the road today, and noticed the needles were out again. I'm worried that it's a faulty BCM, which could be pricey. The gauges obviously work, but the power or something isn't making it to the gauge needles. The dealership said it was "probably" the instrument panel, which would run between $300-400.

I looked into the eBay option since I can take the panel out myself, but the odometer reading from the used cluster would carry over to my car. That's odometer fraud and I don't wanna mess with that!

Needless to say, I'm confused. Could anybody offer some insight to this problem?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kcarter2515's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kcarter2515 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kcarter2515 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2007 Aura Instrument Cluster Problems

every one is different but to me its worth a little extra to get it done thru the dealer and have the correct mileage on it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarter2515 View Post

I looked into the eBay option since I can take the panel out myself, but the odometer reading from the used cluster would carry over to my car. That's odometer fraud and I don't wanna mess with that!
The mileage is kept in non-volatile memory in the BCM. You can replace the IPC as often as you want but it still will report the mileage as stored in the BCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Yesterday when I took my car out for a drive, I noticed that the gauge needles that normally light up white were dark. It's harder to glance down and see your speed without those needles lighting up! At night, you can see them but they are very dim. The numbers light up with no problems. I took out the entire instrument panel and re-plugged it back in. No luck.
Someone else had this issue in this group not so long ago. But I don't think it was ever resolved in the thread. I suspected a bad IPC, but now I'm not so sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
kcarter2515

Thanks guys so much for your help. I ordered a replacement IPC for $80.00 off of eBay from a 2007 Aura. I'm glad to hear that I'll be able to plug this in no problem and have my current mileage come up.

Side note - I was thinking logically about where the mileage is actually stored, and in the Aura's case, it couldn't possibly be in the IPC. OnStar sends me a health history report every month including the mileage on the car. I doubt that the OnStar module would go fetch the mileage from the IPC itself and then send the data out. It would have to come from a central location, the BCM.

As soon as I install the new cluster I'll be sure to post with an update and some pictures. $80 and 15 minutes of my time is a whole lot better to stomach than $300-400.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kcarter2515 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
jim147
jim147 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Thanks guys so much for your help. I ordered a replacement IPC for $80.00 off of eBay from a 2007 Aura. I'm glad to hear that I'll be able to plug this in no problem and have my current mileage come up.

Side note - I was thinking logically about where the mileage is actually stored, and in the Aura's case, it couldn't possibly be in the IPC. OnStar sends me a health history report every month including the mileage on the car. I doubt that the OnStar module would go fetch the mileage from the IPC itself and then send the data out. It would have to come from a central location, the BCM.

As soon as I install the new cluster I'll be sure to post with an update and some pictures. $80 and 15 minutes of my time is a whole lot better to stomach than $300-400.
Looking forward to know how this goes for you. I've noticed the '08 doing this from time to time. I have a BMC on order for the Vue, I don't want to have to do one on the Aura too.

jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jim147's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jim147 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jim147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
journeyforce
journeyforce is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I am surprised you paid that much. A quick look shows one for sale for $35
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-SA...item5d2f48bf1e

I am glad that the mileage is stored somewhere else and the cluster is easy to replace.

How do you remove that black cover from the IPC? It looks like it is attached to the steering wheel.

Out of interest if the 2007's were prone to issues why didn't you look for one from a 08-09?

Good luck with it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

im pretty sure thats not correct. mileage will read whats in the oddomter on an aura..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post

How do you remove that black cover from the IPC? It looks like it is attached to the steering wheel.
The FSM shows that you remove the screws towards the top then disengage the velcoro at the bottom, then rotate it. You dont actually remove it.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
im pretty sure thats not correct. mileage will read whats in the oddomter on an aura..
Greenman is correct.

From the FSM:

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
greenman

2009 AURA XE

I posted this earlier in the other thread concerning an '07 IPC with needle lighting problem. There appears to be an issue with '07 IP clusters. This exchange program may well have expired by now, even though there is no expiry mentioned in this bulletin that I see. It does not seem to be a VIN dependent program.
I can't explain how that dealer was able to temporarily correct the issue using the dimmer rheostat. That rheostat provides a single input to the BCM which takes that input & controls the brightness of several interior lamps. I have a hard time believing it's the dimmer. Maybe KeyOFF then KeyON temporarily fixes it. That seems to hold true for a lot of intermittents in computer-controlled systems.

Service Information
Document ID: 1853047
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#05-08-49-009D: Exchange Program - Saturn Aura, ION, Relay, SKY and VUE Instrument Panel Cluster Ordering Process - (Aug 4, 2006)

Subject: Saturn Aura, ION, Relay, Sky and VUE Instrument Panel Cluster Ordering Process

Models: 2005-2007 Saturn Relay

2007 Saturn Aura, ION, Sky and VUE

Attention: Fixed Operations Manager, Parts Manager, and Technician

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-49-009C (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

The purpose of this bulletin is to inform Saturn Retailers of a parts exchange program for instrument panel (IP) clusters. The IP cluster has been designated as an exchange part. By working closely with our retailers and technicians through the parts exchange process, the GM team will gain a better understanding of any field concerns that may develop.

If a customer comes to the retailer with IP cluster concerns, please follow the repair information and diagnostics found in the Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console sub-section of Service Information (SI) or the appropriate Saturn Service Manual. If your diagnosis points to a fault with the IP cluster, obtain an exchange IP cluster as follows:

U.S. Retailers: Please call one of the following authorized Electronic Service Centers (ESC):

AER Technologies (AEL) , Brea, CA: (714) 871-7357 or (800) 321-6970

AJR International, Inc (AJC) , Elmhurst, IL: (630) 832-0222 or (800) 232-3965

Autocraft Electronics (AED) , Carrollton, TX: (972) 466-6200 or (800) 336-3998

Instrument Sales & Service, Inc (ISS) , Kent, WA: (253) 796-5400 or (800) 666-5469

Model Electronics, Inc (MES) , Spring Valley, NY: (201) 961-6200 or (800) 433-9657

Specmo Enterprises (SED) , Madison Heights, MI: (248) 307-2570 or (800) 545-7910

Techni-Car, Inc (TCT) , Oldsmar, FL: (813) 855-0022 or (800) 886-0022

Replacement parts are usually shipped out within 24 hours, and a pre-paid return package label will be included for returning the original part. By returning the original part, you will avoid a significant non-return core charge. Insert the Core Authorization Form when returning the original part. Please follow the instructions on the paperwork included with the replacement unit for proper handling procedures.

The IP cluster will be shipped to the facility free of charge. You will not be invoiced for the IP cluster. Therefore, the IP cluster is not to be sold to the Customer Service Order (CSO).

Canadian Retailers: Replacement IP clusters must be obtained from an authorized Canadian Electronic Service Centre (ESC).

Ordering Information
When ordering through Electronic Service Centers, the following information is needed to process retailer order(s):

• Retailer telephone number (preferred) or Dealer Code

• Account number (this is the ESC’s internal profile number)

If an account number has not been established, the ESC will create a new account number or "profile" of the Saturn Retailer.

• IP cluster part number currently in the vehicle

- The part number can be retrieved with the Tech 2® scan tool.

- If the IP cluster has been removed, the part number is listed on the label of the IP cluster.

• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), mileage, and delivery date

• Repair Order (R.O.) number (this corresponds to the Customer Service Order [CSO] number)

• Description of issue

The retailer will receive a Core Authorization Form and an Order Form. The Order Form is for the retailer’s records. The Core Authorization Form is the document that should be returned with the original IP cluster unit; this form is NOT an invoice. The Core Value, Reman Price, and Estimated Freight are listed for non-warranty transactions.

NON-WARRANTY TRANSACTIONS will require a Purchase Order (P.O.) number for the retailer to process the order. (The retailer issues a P.O. to purchase the unit from the ESC and then bills the customer.) All other steps are the same.

Last edited by greenman; 08-03-2011 at 11:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
kcarter2515

Again, I appreciate all the feedback on this matter...nice to know that there are still people out there on this forum!

Anywho, one of the reasons why I opted for a higher-priced IPC on eBay was merely for location. It was only $65, but tack on another $15 for shipping. The seller is in the same state I am in, Michigan. The quicker I get it, the better.

And to lowsaturn, I searched "2007 Saturn Aura Service Manual" and came up with the same thing you just posted above.

I purchased this car back in May of 2009, and had no prior knowledge to any IPC problems such as this back then. Ever since I've had the car, it's been great to me! Such a nice car to drive.

Another side note - I took the car out for a drive tonight and noticed that the needles are dimly flickering but are still pretty dark even for at night. When I get the part in, I'll post pictures of how I take the dash apart and install the new IPC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
kcarter2515

UPDATE!

All of my parts came in today, one of them being my new instrument panel cluster! I got some LED reverse lights, and a new driver side window control panel - all of which look and work great! But I have good and bad news:

Good News: I swapped out my old instrument panel with the new one, and it fired right up. The needles were back on and working! So it looks like it's nothing more than a crap IPC.

Bad News: When I looked at the odometer, it was the odometer reading from the car it came from. It's about 10,000 miles off. What's interesting is that my trip odometers, average fuel and speed, and oil health were all the same from the old cluster. The even more interesting part is that the odometer reading wouldn't budge. I put the new cluster in and drove the car for 5 miles (which the trip odometers were reading), but the odometer reading stayed the same.

I called my local dealership and asked them how much it would cost to re-program the correct mileage in the cluster and I was told $150.00. I almost went through the roof! How much would a BRAND NEW cluster cost, plus labor and programming? They originally quoted me between 300-400 for a new one plus labor, etc but I have a hard time believing that a brand new cluster only costs $150 when I spent $80 on a used one.

Whatever. I'm at a loss...anybody else care to offer some more insight? I've tried removing the battery, going through one drive cycle, etc. Looks like I'm taking it to the dealership sometime next week. I'll keep you guys posted.

Pictures of the swap/install:

Original IPC with dim needles:

Just before I pulled the IPC out:

IPC panel rotated to pull IPC out:

NEW IPC with working needles! But new mileage...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
When I looked at the odometer, it was the odometer reading from the car it came from. It's about 10,000 miles off.
Thats very odd since the factory service manual states that the odometer reading is stored in the BCM and is reportred to the IPC.

I'd also call some other deaers, that price is crazy.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Working on this. One possibility is not all MY IPCs may be created equal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Working on this. One possibility is not all MY IPCs may be created equal.
I have the 2008 FSM, I'd really like to take a look at the 2007 version.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
kcarter2515

When I was searching for some information on where the mileage is stored, I came across a thread on a chevy silverado forum where someone had posted a list of all gm vehicles and were their mileage is stored and how to program a replacement IPC. For a 2007 Aura, the mileage is stored
In the BCM, and displayed on the IPC, but needs to be programmed with a Tech 2 something or other. My understanding is that there are a limited number of dealerships that own this programming device/software because of it's price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
journeyforce

2008 AURA XE

Yes I was about to post my suspicions on that one also. It would seem that there might be a redundant mileage memory in the cluster. Perhaps to be safe if the BCM takes a dump, that the memory of the mileage is safe. Sort of like not putting all eggs in one basket.

However as I found out today trying to get that radio programmed at the dealer (dealer wanted $150 for the job) you better be prepared for it not to be cheap

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
journeyforce

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
When I was searching for some information on where the mileage is stored, I came across a thread on a chevy silverado forum where someone had posted a list of all gm vehicles and were their mileage is stored and how to program a replacement IPC. For a 2007 Aura, the mileage is stored
In the BCM, and displayed on the IPC, but needs to be programmed with a Tech 2 something or other. My understanding is that there are a limited number of dealerships that own this programming device/software because of it's price.
Actually all GM dealerships should have at least one or two as everything from remotes to the ECM need to be programmed by that Tech two. The Tech Two replaced the Tech one as the programming tool after OBDII was phased in. All GM dealers have this tool so don't worry about it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #20
kcarter2515

So it looks as if I have to take this into a dealership that has a Tech 2, which will most-likely be my local Chevy dealership.

One thing that I just don't understand is why the odometer reading on the new cluster won't budge! It just stays put at 52,946. Must be some sort of security feature. I mean, it's so easy to rip a cluster out and throw in a new one, I guess GM had to safeguard themselves somehow...

Thanks again for your help, everyone. I'll keep you posted when I get this sorted out. I'm letting my sister drive the car to Toronto for the week, so it might not be until the following week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!