SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
josiah2097
josiah2097 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 93 SC2 Charging Issue

My 93 SC2 keeps dying. I have a new alternator, starter and battery. I've also replaced the negative battery cable and it won't stay running. I had my battery fully charged (and tested) by Autozone the other day and it died on the way back from work today. When it dies the lights get dimmer and dimmer until just about every electrical system shuts down right before it completely dies. I can jump it to get it started again, but it will only last a mile or two before doing the same thing. I'm going to get the positive battery cable changed ASAP but I don't think they have them at Autozone (the correct ones with the additional connection to the fuse box) and I'm not fully convinced this is the problem. Since I've checked the positive battery cable and it doesn't look bad at all, does anyone have any other ideas for me to try while I'm hunting down a replacement cable?

I have really appreciated (and have gained a lot from) the knowledge spread on this forum and want to say thank you for all of the help I've gotten from you guys already!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to josiah2097's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help josiah2097 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
josiah2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 93 SC2 Charging Issue

You have a burned out or missing fusible link wire. This fusible link is simply a calibrated wire that runs between the alternator side post and starter connection that has the large RED battery cable. This wire provides power to the alternator and if its burned on the inside of the insulation you might not see it. Its rated for approximately 30 amps. Check it for voltage on the end attached to the alternator. Measure the alternator post against engine ground for 12v. Its this wire doesn't show 12v then its either not attached to the starter large terminal correctly or its burned out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
josiah2097

I really appreciate the how detailed you were on that. I'll have this checked tomorrow and let you know how it went. Thank you so much for the quick reply!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help josiah2097 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
josiah2097

" This fusible link is simply a calibrated wire that runs between the alternator side post and starter connection that has the large RED battery cable. This wire provides power to the alternator and if its burned on the inside of the insulation you might not see it."

What is this wire actually called...? And any ideas where I can get a replacement? (Does anyone know where I can find a diagram showing me where this wire is?)

Last edited by josiah2097; 08-03-2011 at 10:15 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Fusible link wire. Its basically a smaller gauge of wire to limit the amount of current between the battery and alternator in the rare case of an alternator shorting out internally. This wire is the only type used as a fuse and rarely blows. The few times its blown was when someone inadvertently tightens the nut too hard on the alternator post, twisting the post terminal resulting in permanently damaging the wiring inside the alternator connection. A short simply sends 12v battery current into the alternator and shorting to ground, burning up this wire immediately instead of burning out the alternator. Over tightening and twisting the post damages the alternator permanently.

Most times a length of plain wire about the same gauge as this fusible link wire will suffice. A good auto electrical shop will know how to make up one for a few dollars. We're not talking about something the dealer will charge to rip off car owners for $50+ when its just a plain wire.

Did you measure for 12v, as suggested, on the alternator post to see if 12v is actually there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
josiah2097

Don't think we have any way to test for voltage...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
josiah2097

My girlfriend was using my account earlier. I believe I know what wire you're talking about (it's the smallest gauge wire out of the ones I've been dealing with). I had a lot of problems when removing it from the old alternator and I most likely damaged it during that process. I'm going to try and get a replacement from Autozone or Napa, install it on the side of the road (bringing my jackstands and jack), jump it and hope it charges itself on the way home. I'll let you guys know what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Simple test for this wire. Just use a small 12v bulb to bridge between the alternator post and case ground; if the bulb lights up then the fusible link wire is good. No light, even of you (disconnect battery ground before disconnecting this f/l/w) disconnect this f/l/w at the alternator and reconnect battery ground and try a bulb test again, would mean a failed f/l/w. This f/l/w is HOT all the time on the alternator post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
josiah2097

Happy Re: 93 SC2 Charging Issue

I replaced the fusible link cable with one I made out of parts from Napa then jumped the car. Now everything seems to be working just fine! I drove it about 8 miles with no issues. Thank you fdryer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!