SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
honda hater SL2
honda hater SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1992 SL1
Default 2000 SL2 having starting issues. security light stays on sometimes

Hey guys, havent posted in a while but I have an issue I need to troubleshoot and fix QUICK, like today. so here is the deal;

2000 SL2
manual

The starter is intermittent, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, even right after it just did with no condition changes. this started significantly before problem 2

it just started trying to not start at all, the security light will blink and it will turn over and hit 1 time and then act like the gas got cut off and just die, even if i fluxuate the gas pedal.

I dont even know where to start and i have been working on saturns for 10 yrs. Im headed out to check the ECTS now because I know that thing can make for some of the most random and frustrating issues but Im kinda stumpped on this one guys. could the security system be causing these issues? do you think they are seperate or linked?

I need advice on the quickest way to fix both, I have a 24hr drive ahead of me and have to be to work at 330am on monday!!!

All it takes for evil to prevail is good men not putting rice burners in their place!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to honda hater SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help honda hater SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
honda hater SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
honda hater SL2

1995 SL2
1992 SL1
Default Re: 2000 SL2 having starting issues. security light stays on sometimes

It does have the brass ECTS.

All it takes for evil to prevail is good men not putting rice burners in their place!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help honda hater SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
honda hater SL2

1995 SL2
1992 SL1

I have 48 psi fuel pressure, need to replace spark plugs too, but this still isnt making sense, can I get some help anyone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
kielbasa7
kielbasa7 is on a distinguished road

Dazed Re: 2000 SL2 having starting issues. security light stays on sometimes

Mine used to die suddenly. Then I could immediately restart it. After replacing the fuel pump I found out I had no voltage at the coils. You should have 12 volts there with the key on. Security light blinking makes me think there is a problem in the steering column wires leading to the ignition switch. This would also cause starting problems. Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kielbasa7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kielbasa7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kielbasa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
honda hater SL2

1995 SL2
1992 SL1

thanks kielbasa. I had a guy replace my ignition switch a few years ago and a chip got knocked loose. he taped it back on, but now i suppose it might be time to check the tape, lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
honda hater SL2

1995 SL2
1992 SL1

so I pulled the starter and tested it, put positive to both posts on the solenoid and grounded the case, it spun right away all 3-5 times i did it. I then re-installed the starter and added a jumper wire on the switch pole of the solenoid to touch directly to the battery as a temporary fix, problem is it wont turn now. no click, no nuthin.... I have no idea whats wrong with it!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

that is a passlock issue. to help you i need the code to tell you how to trouble shoot it.however if you need a new passlock cyc houseing ,not the key cyc the houseing is where the senser pick up is..it will caues the issue you have as the passlock module isn't getting a clean signal from the ignitioncyc/passlock reader...you need to find someone or somewhere who has a tec 2 or scan tool that will talk to the vtd module. most genaric scaners only do pwrtrain not body systems......also be prepared to pony up as any componant in the vtd replaced will require a securityrelearn proceedure from tis2web...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda hater SL2 View Post
so I pulled the starter and tested it, put positive to both posts on the solenoid and grounded the case, it spun right away all 3-5 times i did it. I then re-installed the starter and added a jumper wire on the switch pole of the solenoid to touch directly to the battery as a temporary fix, problem is it wont turn now. no click, no nuthin.... I have no idea whats wrong with it!!!!
Power to the start is good? Have you gotten the battery cable (s) back on tight enough? You are powering the solenoid at the right post? On the 2000 the solenoid signal wire (solenoid activation one) is on the outside of the solenoid as it sits in the car. This is backwards of the earlier starters.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
......also be prepared to pony up as any componant in the vtd replaced will require a securityrelearn proceedure from tis2web...
The passlock relearn can be done either by a TECH 2 scan tool (the 10 minute relearn) or it can be done by the 30 minute relearn which does not need the TECH 2.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote