SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
questionful
questionful is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default Scary Loud Engine Noise

I have a 2001 Saturn SL2 DOHC AutoTranny with 140k miles on it. My sister drives it and she doesn't take care of it. It has been driven with the oil level below the dipstick at least twice. A few weeks ago, I drove it again and noticed a noise that wasn't there before. The noise got quieter after the engine started, but persisted and got a tiny bit louder at higher rpm's. It was like a rattle that also got faster with higher rpm's. The noise seemed to come from the cam chain side of the engine. A few days ago, my dad started the engine with the hood open and it made the same noise but super loud and the engine shook pretty hard. He shut the engine off after a few seconds. I checked the oil, and the level was below the dipstick. I added two quarts, got a little over the full line, and my dad started it. The noise was a little quieter but still really loud and we shut the engine off after a few seconds. Today I popped the valve cover off and saw no obvious damage. The cams and rollers looked smooth, the cam chain looked taut and clean, there was no oil in the spark plug wells, and everything was an orangy color except the inside of the valve cover which was covered in a superthin layer of hard black grime which looked normal. In other words, it looked fine to me.

Can you help me diagnose the car? What do I check now? I will see if I have the tools to pull the spark plugs. Is it difficult to remove the cam shafts and check out the valves?

Thanks for any help.

Also, I went under the car to see if the oil pan drain plug was leaking. It didn't seem to be leaking, but the front of the oil pan was covered in black grime, as if a gasket above it was leaking and the oil that leaked out got cooked onto the metal. Might this be a sign of a leaky gasket? The oil level dropped a lot and I don't see any smoke come out of the exhaust pipe and the drain plug seemed sealed.

2001 SL2 DOHC AutoTrans 138k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to questionful's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help questionful reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
questionful is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Warshark73
Warshark73 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: Scary Loud Engine Noise

When you had the engine running, did you look at the drive (serpentine) belt tensioner to see if it was flopping around? Seems to be a fairly common occurrence. If it's not that, you might want to take the belt off and check the accessory pulleys and see if any of them are making a sound when you turn them by hand. At that point, you should check to make sure the accessories are properly bolted into place as well.

And the frustrating thing about engine noises is that a noise coming from one side of the engine can sound like it's coming from the other side of the engine. A $5 investment in a mechanic's stethoscope will do wonders in locating engine noises.

As for the grime, clean it all off with Simple Green (or some other de-greaser) and run the car for a while. Turn it off then check the area where you found the grime. If there's no visually noticeable leak, take a paper towel or napkin and wipe around the areas where the pan meets the block, the block meets the head, the valve cover meets the head, and the timing cover. If you find any area with what appears to be fresh oil, you probably found a leak.

Overkill is underrated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warshark73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warshark73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warshark73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
holydiver
holydiver is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The last time I heard a noise like that on my car, I had spun a bearing on the crankshaft. This prompted an engine teardown and rebuild. I'm not sure about your case. Maybe if you record some audio or video and post it on someplace like youtube maybe I can make a better judgement.

'96 Saturn SL2 5-Speed, 141k, Rebuilt Engine (My Toy)
'96 Saturn SL2 Automatic, 187k (The Project)
'02 Saturn L200 2.2L Auto, 119k (Dad's Car)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to holydiver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help holydiver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
holydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

It could possibly be a rod knock. How bad is the oil consumption anyway? And a video will help a lot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
questionful

2001 SL2

Should I run the engine to take a video?? I was scared that running the engine any more might cause further damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help questionful reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Sounds like the timing chain is done.

Running the engine with little or no oil doesn't allow the timing chain to be properly lubed...

You could probably run the engine to get a video, but the more you run the engine, the greater the risk that the timing chain could break.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
questionful

2001 SL2

I got a video! I rigged a home-made stethoscope to a microphone. Please tell me what you think.

YOUTUBE LINK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

i vote for timing chain. U need to keep up with the oil level. it just like blood for our body going low will cause problems.....

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote