SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Glasact
Glasact is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Difference Between AURA XR & XE

I'm thinking about trading in my 2000 LS2 on a 2009 Aura XR. Was curious as to the difference between the XR & the XE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glasact's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glasact reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glasact is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Askspot
Askspot is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Difference Between AURA XR & XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasact View Post
I'm thinking about trading in my 2000 LS2 on a 2009 Aura XR. Was curious as to the difference between the XR 3.6 & the XE.
The difference between the two is that you buy the XE and then a year later figure out that you should have bought the XR 3.6. I wouldn't have been able to afford the XR at the time, but man wish I could have. Go with the XR if you have the cash. The XR 3.6 is faster has 18" rims vs 17" most XR 3.6 comes with lether seating (I think maybe all do) Fog lamps. ect..

Now I have the XE V-6 from 2007 so tell us what engine model you are talking about. If you're talking about the XR 2.4l then you can throw out the part about it being faster. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Askspot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Askspot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Askspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

The 3.6 engine, leather interior, dual exhausts... that's all I can think of this early in the morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

IIRC, 2009 the XE was only available with the 2.4:

Quote:
For the 2009 Aura, Saturn is emphasizing fuel economy. The midlevel 3.5-liter V6 has been discontinued, and the four-cylinder engine is now the only choice for the base XE trim. The four-cylinder has even been made an option this year for the upmarket XR. Saturn has also upgraded the four-cylinder's transmission, from a four-speed automatic to an advanced six-speed auto. Efficiency has risen as a result, and the four-cylinder Aura's fuel economy is now at the top of the midsize sedan segment. The powerful 3.6-liter V6 carries into 2009 unchanged.

The midsize 2009 Saturn Aura family sedan is offered in two trim levels: XE and XR. The base-model XE comes standard with 17-inch steel wheels with plastic covers, air-conditioning, full power accessories, cruise control, a trip computer, OnStar and a six-speaker CD/MP3 audio system with an auxiliary audio jack and satellite radio. Going with the four-cylinder XR gets you 17-inch alloy wheels, remote vehicle start, foglamps, leather seating, a power driver seat, heated front seats, Bluetooth and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls. The XR V6 is very similar but has 18-inch alloys, automatic climate control and an auto-dimming rearview mirror with a compass. Most of these features are available for the XE model as part of options packages. On the XR only, you can also get an eight-speaker audio system with redundant rear-seat audio controls (and two sets of wireless headphones), a six-CD changer and a power passenger seat. A sunroof is available for all Auras as an option.
I have an the 2.4 XE with a sunroof and the:

PREFERRED PACKAGE 8-way power driver seat adjuster, leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather-wrapped shift knob, Bluetooth for phone , personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system and HMI and carpeted floor mats.

and

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE
includes Universal Home Remote, remote vehicle starter system, inside rearview auto-dimming mirror with compass display, heated driver and front passenger seats and outside heated power-adjustable and driver-side auto-dimming, body-color, folding mirrors

So if you are looking for an XE, look for these packages. Can't go wrong.

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

Last edited by golftango; 07-07-2011 at 09:23 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
MightyLampshade
MightyLampshade is on a distinguished road

Granted mine is a 2008 XE with the 3.5 but I'm not feeling the "should have bought a 3.6 XR" phenom Askspot is refering to. I could have purchased an XR when I got mine but I realized I didn't need to spend the extra money and the additional power would likely only get me into trouble. I have no problem going far too fast without realizing it in mine as it is.

In 2009 the 3.5 wasn't an option. All XE models came with the 2.4 and the XR was offered with the 2.4 for the first (and only) time as well as the previously standard 3.6. You get some additional features built into the XRs but you can package just about any of them into a XE. I'd recommend finding a vehicle with the features you're after and then worry about what trim level it is. I spent months being hung up on the 3.5 vs 3.6 debate but then I decided I'd just find one with everything I wanted and take the engine it came with. Hope this helps, and good luck with your purchasing! Saturns are way way undervalued currently and you can usually get some pretty good bargins in the Aura market if you're willing to hunt for awhile

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MightyLampshade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MightyLampshade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MightyLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Glasact

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for all the input!

The two I am considering are both 2009 XR's with the 6 spd. auto and paddle shifters. Both look like new and are equiped about the same. One has about 32,000 miles and the other has 34,000. One is Quicksilver and has the addition of the optional sunroof and the other is Carbonflash without the sunroof. Both have the power, heated leather seats and XM radio. The Silver one with the sunroof is about 2,000 more, has 2,000 less miles and comes with a certified 5Yr. 100,000 mile limited power train waranty...............Hard to decide

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Glasact reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
golftango

2009 AURA XE

Quote:

The two I am considering are both 2009 XR's with the 6 spd. auto and paddle shifters. Both look like new and are equiped about the same. One has about 32,000 miles and the other has 34,000. One is Quicksilver and has the addition of the optional sunroof and the other is Carbonflash without the sunroof. Both have the power, heated leather seats and XM radio. The Silver one with the sunroof is about 2,000 more, has 2,000 less miles and comes with a certified 5Yr. 100,000 mile limited power train waranty...............Hard to decide
Sounds like the quicksilver is the clear winner. Having a sunroof is nice.
Although carbon flash looks damn good on the Aura.

Only deal breaker for me would be is if one was an ex-rental.

'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

09 xr had leather, 17 inch alum wheels and a few other options standard. xe is cloth xr is leather n 09. did see an 09 xr with leather delete and a credit on the sticker once for a fleet car. choose from 2.4 4 cyl eco tech or 3.6 v6 which gave you 18 in ch rims.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
gpartrid
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I believe the 09's came with electronically adjustable lumbar support.

Saturn has an automatic 5 yr. / 100k mile transferrable warranty - regardless from whom you buy the car.

The 3.6L XR sucks big-time gas unless you're doing a fair amount of highway driving at speed. If you're doing a fair amount of local / city driving, the 2.4L should fit the bill nicely.

I agree with one of the members above: go for the options you want. Dark colors, however, will show dirt, scuffs, swirls, paint chips and general paint wear much more readily than will a light colored vehicle. A sunroof is a NICE feature to have.

Good luck and keep us posted.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
I'm thinking about trading in my 2000 LS2 on a 2009 Aura XR. Was curious as to the difference between the XR & the XE.
It depends on the year.

Leather was not standard on the XR until the 2009 model year, when the XR became available with the 4cyl powerplant. The 2.4 was not available in either XE or XR in 2007, and for 2008 the 3.5 became optional and the 2.4 was standard.

For 2007 and 2008, it was mainly 18" aluminum wheels, foglights, 3.6 V6, 6spd trans with tap shift, heated seats, remote start, fog lights, and stiffened suspension.

I have a 2007 XE. I wanted the better fuel economy of the 3.5. In retrospect I am happy with the decision, the 3.5 has enough power, and it is pretty efficient. My only complaint is the 4spd transmission, which is rather lethargic, and stubborn on downshifts. Overall it's a nice car, and I've liked mine very much.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Like gpartrid mentioned, both Auras should still be covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile factory powertrain warranty - so that certified warranty may just be the remainder of that (along with the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty).
Now if it's a certified pre-owned car in other ways (whatever the dealer program is), that may be different.

Anyway, if both are in equally good shape and have similarly clean histories I agree with the above posts that the silver one is probably the way to go, for the fewer miles and sunroof.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
gpartrid

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I'd like to add a few things for your consideration:

Warranty Info (the 5 yr. / 100k comes with 5 yrs. of roadside assistance!):
http://www.saturn.com/warranty/ (also click the "Warranty FAQs tab)

Owner's Manual:
http://www.saturn.com/manuals/ (select the year and vehicle)

A few things I remember paying attention to based on forum members contributions when I was studying to buy my AURA:

You may want to check whether any of the vehicles you're considering have been modded. Some folks don't mind mods. Others prefer an unmodded ride.

Get a CarFax and / or get your GM dealer to pull this vehicle up in the database to see whether it's had any recalls, repairs and possible service history.

Check for damp carpets under the mats in the front, back and trunk.

Shake the doors to see if there's water in them (some people have complained that water has seeped inside of their doors and / or trunks - either from rain seepage or car washes).

If you're opting for the sunroof, check to see if there is any dirt or water in the overhead lamps / controls.

Make sure all locks work.

Make sure the stereo works properly.

I don't recall whether 09's had the steering shaft issue - someone here can shed more light on that.

Did 09's come with a spare or only the inflator kit???

See to it you get TWO FOBS and all of the manuals / paperwork you can with the car.

Get your seller to make repairs / pay for any repairs / replacement FOBS, etc. BEFORE you take delivery.

I'm sure you're an experienced vehicle purchaser but sometimes these little FYI's can help - I know they did me.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

P.S. Joel: good to see you're still around - haven't seen you post lately

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

Last edited by gpartrid; 07-08-2011 at 09:00 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
gpartrid

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

One last item I forgot to mention: See when the vehicle was first registered. It could be that it was registered in 2008 - which would give it approx. 3 years on the road at this point in its life - that might help to better explain its current mileage.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
golftango

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
I'd like to add a few things for your consideration:

Warranty Info (the 5 yr. / 100k comes with 5 yrs. of roadside assistance!):
http://www.saturn.com/warranty/ (also click the "Warranty FAQs tab)

Owner's Manual:
http://www.saturn.com/manuals/ (select the year and vehicle)

A few things I remember paying attention to based on forum members contributions when I was studying to buy my AURA:

You may want to check whether any of the vehicles you're considering have been modded. Some folks don't mind mods. Others prefer an unmodded ride.

Get a CarFax and / or get your GM dealer to pull this vehicle up in the database to see whether it's had any recalls, repairs and possible service history.

Check for damp carpets under the mats in the front, back and trunk.

Shake the doors to see if there's water in them (some people have complained that water has seeped inside of their doors and / or trunks - either from rain seepage or car washes).

If you're opting for the sunroof, check to see if there is any dirt or water in the overhead lamps / controls.

Make sure all locks work.

Make sure the stereo works properly.

I don't recall whether 09's had the steering shaft issue - someone here can shed more light on that.

Did 09's come with a spare or only the inflator kit???

See to it you get TWO FOBS and all of the manuals / paperwork you can with the car.

Get your seller to make repairs / pay for any repairs / replacement FOBS, etc. BEFORE you take delivery.

I'm sure you're an experienced vehicle purchaser but sometimes these little FYI's can help - I know they did me.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

P.S. Joel: good to see you're still around - haven't seen you post lately
The 09s come with a compact spare.

I have not had any steering shaft issues (08 build date and I have 27K miles).

Someone commented on dark colors showing dirt/scratches/swirls etc. I must add that I have owned dark colored vehicles before and that is true...however my carbon flash is fantastic and looks clean for quite some time between washes. Not sure why. I've waxed it twice since I've purchased it (11/09) and do not always use touchless washes. I have ZERO swirls and only a couple of paint chips in the hood which I touched up. The paint GM uses seems to be a good, hard quality.

'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

09 xr added chrome door handles, leather, heated seats, 17 inch alloy wheels, 8 way power seat, blue tooth, leather steering wheel and shift knob, usb port and shift knob.....xr6 package added 252hp 3.6 v6, 18 inch wheels, fog lamps, auto climate control, remote start, garage opener, heated power mirrors, auto dimming mirror with compass.....all 09 auras had spar and jack except hybrid....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
golftango

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
09 xr added chrome door handles, leather, heated seats, 17 inch alloy wheels, 8 way power seat, blue tooth, leather steering wheel and shift knob, usb port and shift knob.....xr6 package added 252hp 3.6 v6, 18 inch wheels, fog lamps, auto climate control, remote start, garage opener, heated power mirrors, auto dimming mirror with compass.....all 09 auras had spar and jack except hybrid....
Pretty sure this was covered. And not all XRs got USB. Only a few Auras get the USB radio before the brand was killed.

'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Glasact

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I threw a 3rd Aura into the mix today. It was a 2008 XE model with lesser miles than the other two. After driving my LS-2 (V-6) for the last few years I have eliminated the XE with the 4 cyl. I know it would yield better fuel economy than the 3.6 does, but I just couldn't LOVE the performance I would get from the six.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
carjones
carjones is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Hate to state the obvious but some dealers here in NYC won't let you test drive their cars on the highway only on side street (insurance reasons I guess). Anyway, make sure you drive the car at highway speed and apply the brake, if the steering wheel starts doing the "Ohio shuffle", make them put on new rotors and pads all around before you buy. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #19
gpartrid

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the chrome door handles and (chrome) body molding DELETED for the 09 XR?

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

Last edited by gpartrid; 07-09-2011 at 05:30 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #20
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

2009 didnt have body side mldgs. still had chrome door handles. 2010 dropped repeater side light. im wondering if anyone has seen or heard of a 2010 aura?? i know they made all of the other saturns in 2010. a fair amount of outlooks and vues. 8 skys. aura???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!