SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Awomandoingaman
Awomandoingaman is on a distinguished road

Default pictures of my 2000 saturn egr valve

Ok so I finally found the egr valve, I took some pictures . Do i need to replace it or clean it .. How can I tell if its bad

How do I know if the valve gasket is bad also.. Sorry I am a woman and I just have alot of questions, I am learning this for the first time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0393.jpg (181.9 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Awomandoingaman; 07-04-2011 at 04:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Awomandoingaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Awomandoingaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Awomandoingaman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
racinginblood
racinginblood is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Re: pictures of my 2000 saturn egr valve

yah i would say its a little coked up with carbon deposits i would clean it with carb cleaner ans see how you make out a little brushing can help and cleaning of 2 holes where it mounts also clean the holes out then start car quickly and shut off it will want to rev to redline so shut down quickly that just cleans out theports you definetely need a gasket i wouildnt replace the egr if you do not half to as they are costly unless you check the srapyard one of the holes has a spring opens and closes also has a seay careful not to damge the seat when ckleaning push the pintle open with a pen or something and spray carb cleaner into it careful als not to damage the wiring hook up

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racinginblood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racinginblood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racinginblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

It really helps us help you if you keep with your original posting when you ask a question. As noted in your previous post at http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169185 there are videos showing how to test and clean the EGR.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

And I would replace the gasket. It's cheap. By the look of the EGR it hasn't been off in awhile.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Awomandoingaman

Thank you all so much for pointing me to the right directions
The egr valve was really dirty alot of black stuff came out.

I really can't tell if the car runs any differently .
I did a homemade gasket ,because I didn't know they were only $1.99

So is there something else I am to check . I know I had three error codes
the conveter and 02 sensor. Is it possible that the egr could effect those codes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Awomandoingaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
mattwithcats
Advanced Member
mattwithcats is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1998 SL2

Rock Auto has Saturn parts on sale, I picked up an EGR valve for my 01 for $75

Air and oil filters are also inexpensive too...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
Awomandoingaman

ok so today my service egine light came on ,which it hasn't done and it stayed on for about 15 mins and went off. I have cleaned the egr and replaced the gasket. I do know the calyst is showing error code and my 02 sensors. Which one could i replace first to pass

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Don't replace anything until you know the actual code(s) associated with the SES light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

If you could get the code #'s and post them here it would help. You don't have to know a lot about cars since there is a wealth of knowledgeable people here. They just need some information to better guide you. Good luck!

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote