SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
AutoWorks
AutoWorks is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn Vue Clutch Pedal WAY HARD

So it turned out that the Manual Clutch Actuator started leaking so went ahead and pulled the transmission and replaced the actuator. Went to re-bleed the hydraulic system and now the pedal gets super hard to the point where it wont even go to the floor to turn the car on. Already broke 1 clutch pedal slave connection and now have to replace the whole assembly.

Trying to figure out why the clutch pedal gets so dam hard to push. Now I dont want to break a second on by doing this all over.

*Checked lines for kinks etc no KINKS found
*Checked for connection at resevoir etc good
*Checked connection at bleeder connector to trans GOOD

Dont know what else could be causing this wtf. When I bleed this thing it bleeds good no probs I get a flow of fluid from the bleeder and everything does somebody know whats going on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AutoWorks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AutoWorks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AutoWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Chief14
Chief14 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Saturn Vue Clutch Pedal WAY HARD

Would really like to know myself. Getting ready to install 3rd master cylinder. Looking at changing out pedal.

'03 VUE 2.2L, FWD, 5 Speed Manual
220,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chief14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chief14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chief14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #3
Chief14
Chief14 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Does your pedal have any excessive side to side play?

'03 VUE 2.2L, FWD, 5 Speed Manual
220,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chief14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chief14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chief14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
tmckay20
tmckay20 is on a distinguished road

Any help on this?
Having this exact problem...

New clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, master cylinder x2 and every time after the system is bled and then it rests come back depress clutch pedal and snap there goes the master cylinder due to hard pedal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tmckay20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tmckay20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tmckay20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

me too. having exact problem after new engine install.
pedal super hard, I pushed hard and the line popped out of the transmission because I had not installed the retaining clip yet
put it back together with the clip but now absolutely no clutch
what did I put together wrong or break? could I be lucky enough to just need to bleed it after having it apart?
any help is appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thegreatbriguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thegreatbriguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thegreatbriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not completely familiar with clutch hydraulics understand how it works. In your Vue, there's a provision to replace hydraulics on a piece by piece basis so replacing the master cylinder or slave unit uses a quick connect coupling. If I'm not mistaken, is this similar to other hydraulic systems using quick connects to allow disassembling for portability without losing fluid? What I'm describing is the portable hydraulic punch kit where the pump is assembled with hose and slave cylinder with all couplings being the sealed type so little oil is lost when disconnecting them. If your master cylinder was disconnected and reconnected, are you sure the coupling snapped together completely? I would imagine this is the only place, if the coupling isn't complete, the automatic sealing system prevents oil from moving, effectively blocking the master cylinder from operating. If sealed and not completely connected, pressing the clutch pedal only pumps up the master cylinder with no place for oil to move resulting in a hard pedal, rupturing a hose or popping the hose off the connection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatbriguy View Post
me too. having exact problem after new engine install.
pedal super hard, I pushed hard and the line popped out of the transmission because I had not installed the retaining clip yet
put it back together with the clip but now absolutely no clutch
what did I put together wrong or break? could I be lucky enough to just need to bleed it after having it apart?
any help is appreciated.
well, I confirmed I broke the plastic link between the clutch pedal and master cylinder. it seems that I can push the master in by hand now that I have the slave end connected properly but it's hard to tell. I'm going to try to glue this thing together for testing. I didn't get to look closely but I think that is part of the master cylinder and can't be replaced by itself, which is upsetting to me as you can imagine. is this the part I need? I can't seem to find any pictures of what this part # 12577984 actually is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-GM-OE...BV51sr&vxp=mtr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thegreatbriguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a link that may help; http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...roduct=2667747

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
thegreatbriguy

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I'm not completely familiar with clutch hydraulics understand how it works. In your Vue, there's a provision to replace hydraulics on a piece by piece basis so replacing the master cylinder or slave unit uses a quick connect coupling. If I'm not mistaken, is this similar to other hydraulic systems using quick connects to allow disassembling for portability without losing fluid? What I'm describing is the portable hydraulic punch kit where the pump is assembled with hose and slave cylinder with all couplings being the sealed type so little oil is lost when disconnecting them. If your master cylinder was disconnected and reconnected, are you sure the coupling snapped together completely? I would imagine this is the only place, if the coupling isn't complete, the automatic sealing system prevents oil from moving, effectively blocking the master cylinder from operating. If sealed and not completely connected, pressing the clutch pedal only pumps up the master cylinder with no place for oil to move resulting in a hard pedal, rupturing a hose or popping the hose off the connection.
so this quick connect scenario is exactly accurate. I believe I didn't have the hose snapped into the transmission housing properly. there is a notch you have to have lined up to push it in the whole way. I had that right but I didn't put in the clip so I think the check ball wasn't engaged enough, the fluid couldn't compress and I broke my link at the master.
here is my hobo fix. first, I tried a piece of hose with 2 worm gear clamps (the plastic piece broke right behind the clutch pedal, it part of the clutch master cylinder) that worked but the hose bent and I couldn't quite make enough clutch engagement to shift well.
so, I went to the piece of conduit that was the correct length. this worked!! I could drive and shift. its not perfect. I used a zip tie to keep the quick disconnect at the clutch pedal connected and the clutch comes up a little bit higher than if connected.
I wouldn't recommend this for actual driving but it's a great way to take a test drive and make sure you have connections together properly without breaking your next clutch master cylinder...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you for educating me on more details. I suspected the quick connects as the main source of possible problems since its designed to prevent hydraulic flow when disconnected - these fittings are no different in function from pneumatic, liquid or refrigeration quick connect fittings using a type of check valve to ensure a leak free connection. When not connected, the fittings prevents media loss and must be correctly connected to allow fluid flow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!