SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default AWD vs FWD Transmission?

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two transmissions? Would I be able to swap out my AWD transmission with a FWD transmission and still have AWD?

Thanks!

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
fastmofo
fastmofo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: AWD vs FWD Transmission?

awd to fwd swap = no more awd

2006 Pontiac Torrent
2011 Dodge Durango Crew

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fastmofo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fastmofo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fastmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroom View Post
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two transmissions? Would I be able to swap out my AWD transmission with a FWD transmission and still have AWD?

Thanks!
I'm tempted to say basic transmissions are same but AWD trans has Honda transfer case (TC) to adapt to drive-shaft. This is semi-complex appearing piece of machinery. The file is just over the limit for posting but I can email if you'd like to have.

The specs also indicate the FWD trans requires 1/2 quart more ATF than the AWD. Not sure where the extra fluid is "stored" but we do know the TC (or PTO - if you prefer) holds several ounces of entirely different lube.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I'm tempted to say basic transmissions are same but AWD trans has Honda transfer case (TC) to adapt to drive-shaft. This is semi-complex appearing piece of machinery.
It may appear that way at first, but it's really quite simple.

You see, first the one thing spins, and then that causes the other thing to spin, which then in turn spins another thing and so on and so forth, and then the rear wheels spin.

See, simple.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
jcc007
jcc007 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I'm tempted to say basic transmissions are same but AWD trans has Honda transfer case (TC) to adapt to drive-shaft. This is semi-complex appearing piece of machinery. The file is just over the limit for posting but I can email if you'd like to have.

The specs also indicate the FWD trans requires 1/2 quart more ATF than the AWD. Not sure where the extra fluid is "stored" but we do know the TC (or PTO - if you prefer) holds several ounces of entirely different lube.
What type of Transmission fluid does the 2003 Saturn Vue v6 FWD, take? Also how much fluid? Im researching on how to drain and refill my transmission fluid since the vehicle has 183,000 miles on it and probably has NEVER seen new fluid in it.. Again I have the FWD not the AWD. I just need to know what kind of fluid it needs and how much and is a scan tool recommened when I change the fluid in it. Thanks.. JCC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcc007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcc007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcc007 is offline   Reply With Quote