SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
RLFEEN
RLFEEN is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Transmission questions!++++

Hello fellow Saturn Friends,

I have a '96 SL1 and I think I need something fixed involving the tranny, (obviously!)

When I try shifting into 1st and mostly, 2nd gear, the stick is hard to guide into its slot (ha ha ha, I know this sounds SO funny, but I don't know how else to say it) and it "slips" slightly, almost like its not catching. All other gears when crusing are pretty smooth. The higher the number, the smoother it is to shift...

Anyone have any advice, or tips, I'd appreciate it!

I want to keep my Saturn on the road as long as I can!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RLFEEN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RLFEEN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RLFEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
SGM-99 Sperling
SGM-99 Sperling is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Transmission questions!++++

I'm experiencing about the same thing on my '99 SL1 right now, but that is not my most serious problem; I have to work the shifter a bit to get it into #1,#2 and sometimes to #3/4.
At a stop light, whether there is an incline or a down slope, the engine output/flywheel wants to 'brush' the clutch plate somehow and sputters to stall. I think the range of clutch depression and spring-back has some play or wear.

I JUST discovered yesterday that if I shift it into a gear btwn 1-3 and keep holding the shifter in the detent, the shift is crisp and well engaged. If I shift the lever but let it go after its in position, it has lag and sputters to properly mesh for a second--it will lurch as I give it gas, as if I was in the wrong gear.

Not to take away from your thread, RLFEEN but I had an extremely worrisome wobble, thumping from what I believed was my front/driver's side wheel. It got terrible after 80+mi. yesterday and I took it to a shop today[its NOT tire wear/'bubble' or CV axel failure].

The mechanic, although quite young, was very thorough and helpful going over the possible culprits. My SL1 has 300K, a rebuilt engine and other things. The clutch isn't new though and the mechanic showed me the linkages and spring tensioners that turns our pedal motion into gear changes. He pointed to very obvious play/wobble in 2 of the linkage points, saying that was responsible for part of the 'sloppy' shift character. This was all part of his troubleshooting to trace the wobble/thumping around my left-side wheel connections.

I get it back tomorrow; hopefully its not a messed up left-side axel->differential problem. That will mean replacement tranny work

If you haven't already, search "clutch/shifter play" keywords and you should find plenty of threads, w/good diagrams and suggestions. I came across a good one by chance a few months ago, but don't remember where exactly--had to do with clutch pedal rubber foot-pad replacement & wear.

All our cars are about the same 'age', so I've noticed a lot of articles posted about the very problems I've encountered, all within the same couple months & even days/weeks as me!! Yours might have company.

I'll be watching to see what the 'real mechanics' answer you with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SGM-99 Sperling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SGM-99 Sperling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SGM-99 Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Transmission questions!++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLFEEN View Post
Anyone have any advice, or tips, I'd appreciate it!

I want to keep my Saturn on the road as long as I can!
Most of us want to keep our saturns on the road as well

I would start with checking your shifter cables at the transmission. There are clips that can sometimes work loose and cause strange shifting. What about your fluid level? How does it look and when was it changed last?

Important - Does the car shift any differently with the engine ON vs. OFF?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
RLFEEN
RLFEEN is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Thumbs Down Re: Transmission questions!++++

Okay, so now my car rev's at 2k while idling. It goes down about half way when I put the AC on...what could this be?! While driving, the RPMs are normal. Again, only when idling!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RLFEEN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RLFEEN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RLFEEN is offline   Reply With Quote