SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Question replacing the radiator overflow tank

Well , my overflow tank started leaking between the seem, I tried epoxy but that didn't work .
So , I went to GM and purchased a new one -- looked easy to replace myself - and almost got it off but the main support bolt that holds the tank in place (one of two bolts , this is the one closest to the driving compartment)I got the nut off real easy but the bolt seems to be attached to a bracket or something -- does anybody know about this ? do I need to just hit the screw with a mallet or something -- or is it attached to something else ??

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
bern
bern will become famous soon enoughbern will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: replacing the radiator overflow tank

just pri up on that braket enough to sneak the bottle frange over the top of the stud ( not that easy to do ) but I've done at least 8 that way without breaking anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan

hmm -- yea , so I guess the bracket is hard to remove ? I guess I will have to try the pry method weird that it would be that complicated just to change out an overflow tank -- thank's for the tip though !!

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
brapple
brapple is on a distinguished road

as i recall the fuse box bracket sits on top of the coolant tank. Jut unbolt the bracket and it will lift out of the way.

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour - 3L+turbo
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brapple's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brapple reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: replacing the radiator overflow tank

yea , its kinda like that -- but it turns out you have to disconnect the entire bracket system that holds in the battery housing ,then it will lift off (STUPID DESIGN ) -- lol -- what genius designed that feature -- obviously somebody that doesn't want us working on our own cars.
But you can do it a couple different ways to avoid the hassle of unbolting the entire bracket system , here is one way.

1. just cut the end of the bolt off the frigon thing so you can easily bend the bracket over what's left of the existing bolt and leave it like that, you really don't need it anyway - there is enough support from the bracket to hold it in place quite well .

this is the lamest design I have ever seen , they could have just simply bolted it to the side of the car for easy removal -- but no - they had to make it hard so we have to fork out the big bucks just to change out a stupid overflow tank ..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The battery's in the trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Checkered Flag Re: replacing the radiator overflow tank

well , whatever that other gismo is then under the hood ----

PS ---- thanks
pss ---- how many bolts are there to release that metal support peace that holds that + and - gismo in the front so I can lift it off the bracket to replace the overflow tank ??????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
SaturnIONSLVUE
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

How do we do a coolant flush? On all new cars the radiator does not have a cap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you don't do a conventional flush. fill it with clean water, run it, drain, repeat until the water comes out clean.

conventional flushes aren't recommended/necessary unless you know you have a blockage or had a problem effecting your coolant a lot. clean water, and only clean water.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
brapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman View Post
yea , its kinda like that -- but it turns out you have to disconnect the entire bracket system that holds in the battery housing ,then it will lift off (STUPID DESIGN ) -- lol -- what genius designed that feature -- obviously somebody that doesn't want us working on our own cars.
But you can do it a couple different ways to avoid the hassle of unbolting the entire bracket system , here is one way.

1. just cut the end of the bolt off the frigon thing so you can easily bend the bracket over what's left of the existing bolt and leave it like that, you really don't need it anyway - there is enough support from the bracket to hold it in place quite well .

this is the lamest design I have ever seen , they could have just simply bolted it to the side of the car for easy removal -- but no - they had to make it hard so we have to fork out the big bucks just to change out a stupid overflow tank ..
sorry, I meant that the whole bracket had to be unbolted. It took an extra 5-10 minutes to unbolt the bracket instead of starting to hack things. I agree the design is poor but there isn't a need to go cutting things. Sure there maybe enough support but if it wasn't needed it wouldn't have been designed to have it .....

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brapple reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
you don't do a conventional flush. fill it with clean water, run it, drain, repeat until the water comes out clean.

conventional flushes aren't recommended/necessary unless you know you have a blockage or had a problem effecting your coolant a lot. clean water, and only clean water.
DO NOT USE TAP WATER! DO NOT USE DISTILLED WATER! Many people don't realize that in these new low maintenance systems, you have to be careful. Tap water can have high mineral content and you don't want to use that because even on a simple flush, minerals can be left behind that will cause issue down the road.

Distilled water is almost "corrosive" to the cooling system. Aluminum and other metals ionize extreemly easily and readily, espescially in a hot environment. Then best balance is good quality bottled drinking water. It seems to work the best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Dizzy Re: replacing the radiator overflow tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapple View Post
sorry, I meant that the whole bracket had to be unbolted. It took an extra 5-10 minutes to unbolt the bracket instead of starting to hack things. I agree the design is poor but there isn't a need to go cutting things. Sure there maybe enough support but if it wasn't needed it wouldn't have been designed to have it .....
yea ,you were right . So , I got the bracket all unbolted 3 or 4 bolts , pretty simple . I was then able to lift the bracket and fuse box up off the nut in order to remove the overflow tank ( AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP !! )
however at that point , and let me tell you I thought I had it licked
there was only one thing left to do and I would be home free. That is to disconnect the hose from the overflow tank to take it off .Sounds simple right well , turns out the clamp that is holding it on is upside down making it virtually impossible to get a tool around it in that small space to take the hose off --plus you only have about 4 inches of hose in a very tight spot to work with . So , I was fortunate to actually grasp the clamp and compress it with a certain type of long heavy duty pliers --- but I could not get the clamp to slip down the hose and because I didn't want to damage the hose by prying and twisting the clamp I was forced to give up , put the whole thing back together again and figure out yet another angle to this seemingly simple procedure -- ha, LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Twist the hose on the connection to losen it first. Even try a little penetrating oil. I have been in that position before with that type of clamp, but I am very stubborn and have always managed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Idea Re: replacing the radiator overflow tank

there's just not enough room in there to hold the pliers on that thick clamp and get another hand in there to twist it .
Although, now that I have had some time to think about it I figure I could disassemble the bracket completely and remove the fuse box completely - this may give me the room I need to work .

OR ---- if possible --- disconnect the hose from the radiator ,this will allow me to pull the overflow tank out enough to work on it .. LOL

where there's a will -- there's a way !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
brapple

yes, getting the hose disconnected is a *****. I had dificulty getting that hose off the tank also. What helped was using a spring clamp tool. you can get them from sears. Make it alot easier.

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman View Post
there's just not enough room in there to hold the pliers on that thick clamp and get another hand in there to twist it .
Although, now that I have had some time to think about it I figure I could disassemble the bracket completely and remove the fuse box completely - this may give me the room I need to work .

OR ---- if possible --- disconnect the hose from the radiator ,this will allow me to pull the overflow tank out enough to work on it .. LOL

where there's a will -- there's a way !
You twist it while holding on to the clamp, with the same tool. Twist the clamp back and forth. Or get the tool that was mentioned...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #17
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: replacing the radiator overflow tank

JOB COMPLETED ---- easiest way out ---
------------------------ -------- ------------ ---------------
Go buy your overflow tank from GM -- I got mine from a Chevrolet dealer.
Then, go to Pepboys and buy some hose for your overflow tank -and I suggest also buying two clamps ( the screw on ones are much easier to work with ) -- You probably wont be able to get the right overflow tank from a kragen auto parts or pepboys or anything like that , at least I was not able to locate one. You can however find them for cheaper at a junk yard - but I wanted a new one.

Disconnect your battery -- PS -- its in the trunk by the spare - Loosen all the screws that hold the bracket that supports the fuse box and take off all the screws that support the overflow tank -- lift the bracket and fuse box
component up off the support screw so you can remove the overflow tank .
Now , here's why you bought the new hose - # 1 it should probably be replaced anyway because hoses do get old and crack # 2 instead of having to fight those big old horse clamps wall on the car ,simply cut off the hose from the area closest to the engine and remove your over flow tank -- some coolant will of course come out ,but not allot . Now you only have one clamp to get off and plenty of room to work with . Take off the remaining clamp, size up your new hose to the size of the old one , cut if necessary , replace your hose and clamps - put your overflow tank back under bracket and proceed to put it back together -- replace any coolant lost -- and
Walla -- you just saved yourself 100.00 + bucks .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Getting ready to replace my tank.

Regarding moving the Fuse Block and Tank:

I assume the 3 or 4 bolts are those in the corners of the fuse block? (ie... not hidden or hard to get at?)

For the replacement hose on the Tank...

Can I assume you added a little extra "slack" for any future removal?

Now when you say to cut off the hose closest to the engine and having plenty of room to work... I'm going to need to take another look at the layout but I like that idea if there is plenty of hand room where the Tank's hose goes into the Engine/Cooling System.

I attempted to do a cleaning of the Tank a while ago (Discovered how not simple it was to pull out for a proper cleaning... so instead siphoned/filled/siphoned/filled the tank hoping to loosen some gunk... no go) and didn't like how that lower tank hose snakes under the Fuse Block area and "disappears". Should make things much nicer if I don't have to get under the tank to re-clamp stuff. Will have to get another look at that...

Anyone recall what size hose the ION uses for coolant in/out take? Rather have it on hand then make a special trip when the ION is offline. (Once I get my replacement tank I suppose I can measure up the OD of the Tank's connector.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Swapped out the Tank today. Took some Pics... still having issues with uploading pics to my Gallery. Will try and streamline the pics and see if smaller file sizes will work.

Only replaced the tank. Reused/saved the Hoses/Clamps. Spent a bit of time trying to loosen the wrong bolts holding the Fuse Box (3 inside the box). Ended up loosening the main bolt holding the bracket which was easy to get too. (Leaving a smaller and far harder to reach bolt alone, unless I had a small Deep Socket on hand, which I didn't.)

This resulted in having to force the tank/box bracket up and sliding the tank out. Not ideal but viable. Was able to pivot the Tank up enough to remove the clamp and wiggle the hose off/on.

Refilled the Tank and Restarted the car... which oddly enough wasn't smooth to move outside. Hoping it was just a hiccup and not an electrical fault I may have accidentally caused by leaving the battery connected and moving the fuse box/wires around...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote