SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
MKR
MKR is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default EGR cleaning questions

I just watched richpin's video and had some questions.

1: How do I know whether or not the gasket can be reused? This is a bit of a big deal--if it's unusable, I don't have a good way to go get another without using the car I just took the EGR valve out of.

2: Are there any alternatives to compressed air for blowing it out? I don't have an air compressor handy.

3: How thorough do I need to be? Is it enough to spray the big hole down and soak it, or do I need to do that scraping and poking on the small hole?

4: How do I take the air intake assembly off? It looks like it just clips on, but the clips wouldn't budge using my fingers, and I was afraid to force it.

5: Do I need to use "throttle body and air intake cleaner?" The less I spend, the better. I already have WD-40.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MKR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MKR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MKR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: EGR cleaning questions

I don't think you need to remove the intake to remove the EGR, but it may make it easier (I haven't worked on one with an OE intake in a while). You squeeze the top clip with a large pliar--it will lock open, when you get it squeezed enough. The tube will slide off the throttle body. The other end unclips from the airbox with I believe four clips. I think you remove them by pulling out and up at the top of the clip.

The EGR is held on by two 10mm bolts. If the gasket doesn't fall apart, and looks to be in reasonably good shape, you can reuse it. If it's torn or missing large chunks, just put the EGR valve back on without it for a trip to the store--shouldn't hurt anything.

You can be as thorough as you want. You can get by without compressed air, but clean it well this time and you won't have any problems for a while.

You can use carb cleaner, brake cleaner, choke cleaner, throttle body cleaner, etc. Any one of those will work fine, but wd-40 will not. They cost about $3-4 each, and I'm sure you'll find other uses for it, no matter which one you pick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
moses7797
moses7797 is on a distinguished road

I know I can never have too much brake cleaner around. of course everyone comes to me to do their brakes, plus all the other cleaning you can do with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moses7797's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moses7797 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moses7797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
davorocks
davorocks is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1999 SW2

i stopped cleaning them. i delete them anymore.

99 SC1 3 door 5 speed-98 C1500 350 not slow-97 K1500 305 slow-96 Camaro 3800 SII-95 Firebird Formula bad mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davorocks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davorocks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davorocks is offline   Reply With Quote