SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
zero_cool09
zero_cool09 will become famous soon enoughzero_cool09 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
Wrench Taking off my SL1 front interior door panels...

Hi guys, I am in the process of taking out the two front door panels, I have removed the screws from all the appropriate places and now I am stuck with getting the window crank and door handle/locking mechanism out of the way (off) so that I can pull the panel out to reach the stock speakers I am hoping to replace with new ones...

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zero_cool09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zero_cool09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zero_cool09 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Taking off my SL1 front interior door panels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool09 View Post
Hi guys, I am in the process of taking out the two front door panels, I have removed the screws from all the appropriate places and now I am stuck with getting the window crank and door handle/locking mechanism out of the way (off) so that I can pull the panel out to reach the stock speakers I am hoping to replace with new ones...

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
The make a tool for removing the window crank. I bought one twenty years ago and I think they're still the same price.

For the handle/lock rod, I use a long, thin flat blade screwdriver. The first time removing them can be time consuming, but its second nature now. Only takes seconds to remove and reinstall.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
davorocks
davorocks is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1999 SW2

i replaced my speaker with the panel still on it. i just rotated it around the crank.

99 SC1 3 door 5 speed-98 C1500 350 not slow-97 K1500 305 slow-96 Camaro 3800 SII-95 Firebird Formula bad mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davorocks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davorocks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
zero_cool09
zero_cool09 will become famous soon enoughzero_cool09 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

That's an interesting idea... so how did you get out the locking mechanism? did you pull that out and then somehow rotate it? I am pretty new to this, I have only removed the back paneling to get at the rear speakers. This seems a little more complex.

Also, Low Saturn, where could I buy a tool like that? Amazon? I need somewhere that would deliever into Canada (surprisingly for parts its harder than you think/more expensive...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zero_cool09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorocks View Post
i replaced my speaker with the panel still on it. i just rotated it around the crank.
Wow. That must of been funny to watch.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Also, Low Saturn, where could I buy a tool like that? Amazon? I need somewhere that would deliever into Canada (surprisingly for parts its harder than you think/more expensive...)
Your local autoparts store should have them. It would most likely be next to the replacement generic window crank handles.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
trottida
Advanced Member
trottida will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1

Richpin has a video on how to make one out of an old CD. You could probably adapt to use another material. There is also a video on how to remove the cranks. Search Youtube for Richpin.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (360,000 km @ 06/2014)
2005 Suburban Z71 (239,500 km @ 06/2014)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Wow. That must of been funny to watch.
The "replacing the spark plugs through the tailpipe" joke comes to mind.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
bilzhorse
bilzhorse is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

You should be able to pick that tool up at any local auto parts store. I got one at Autozone for $6.

Oops! Someone beat me to it.

'95 SL-1, 5sp. All stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bilzhorse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bilzhorse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bilzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
zero_cool09

1999 SL1

I found the video, but I am unable to post the link to confirm.

its by richpin, but he makes the crank remover out of sheet metal. Anyways, sounds easy enough now that I have seen it done...

Thanks for the advice so far. I will update with my success or failure haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
zero_cool09

1999 SL1

So I have a tool that is able to remove the window crank, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the interior door handle/lock (I have the manual ones, no electrionics ) any pieces of advice on how to get the panel off at this point?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
DietCoke
DietCoke is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

Quote:
So I have a tool that is able to remove the window crank, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the interior door handle/lock (I have the manual ones, no electrionics ) any pieces of advice on how to get the panel off at this point?
I'm in the same boat, and would like this info. Doing speakers this week as well

1998 SC1 - 41 MPG Daily
2011 Camaro SS - 698rwhp/734tq, 11.20@129mph (old times)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DietCoke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DietCoke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Flip the plastic tab off the rods and spin it a bit, then pop the rod's out.

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
caveeagle
caveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nicecaveeagle is just really nice

1999 SL1
2002 SL1

Quote:
I assume you have already popped out the plastic cover (that goes where the pwr lock switch would go).

A small thin flathead screwdriver will snap the pushrod retainers off the rod. then it rotated out of the way so the pushrod can slip out of the control horn.

The hard part is getting them back in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote