SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
SuperCujo
SuperCujo is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
1998 SL1
Default Time to replace the muffler strap

The entire center section of my muffler strap is gone but the two ends are still in place to hold the muffler up. I was planning on not changing the strap till the muffler went too (and just get both in stainless) but I'm tired of the rattling sound. I know the Advance Auto Parts one has some issues so where else should I look for one?

According to Amazon, this Walker one should fit my 2001 SL1.
http://www.amazon.com/Walker-36376-E...2001&carId=001

"The youth of today is rude, obnoxious, rebellious, lazy and have no respect for their elders."
- Σωκράτης Date: 400s BC

My Transmission shall now be known as "Sir Slam-A-Lot" .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperCujo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperCujo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperCujo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
syncro87
syncro87 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
2001 SL2
Default Re: Time to replace the muffler strap

http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-im...p-iron-3113585

The aftermarket strap will fit the aftermarket muffler, but will not fit the OEM muffler correctly.

wanted...complete OEM roof rack setup from 96+ wagon.

Last edited by syncro87; 06-13-2011 at 01:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to syncro87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help syncro87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
syncro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
jzambon
jzambon is on a distinguished road

I lost the strap finally when having a trailer hitch installed on my car. As it was winter, I took the car to Monroe to have the strap replaced, thinking it was simple and straightforward/cheap and was told that they had no straps to fit our "watermelon" mufflers. If you take it to Monroe, they will try to sell you everything from the Intermediate Pipe back to replace a $20 part. Ended up going next door to Advance Auto and used 2 hose clamps to temporarily secure the muffler to the frame until the OEM parts arrived.

Replaced my muffler strap with one from mileoneparts.com (saturnparts.net).

Search part #21013123, make Saturn. For whatever reason saturnparts.net has it for $26.33 but mileoneparts.com has it for $22.52...

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
21013123 $30.98 $0.00 $26.33
STRAP-EXH MUFF

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
21013123 $26.49 $0.00 $22.52
STRAP-EXH MUFF

Note that the nut that attaches to the bolt on the muffler strap is NOT included. I lucked out and was able to pry the old one off with some PB blaster and a lot of elbow grease (didn't have another vehicle to pick up the part). Pick one up from a hardware store before getting to work to save yourself a LOT of hassle. The bolt wraps the strap to the muffler.

This is a pretty easy DIY, once you get the old strap off, you should be able to find get everything hooked up the way it was with the new strap. I was going to post a DIY on this, but my phone (and stored pics) died before I had a chance.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jzambon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jzambon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jzambon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
syncro87
syncro87 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
2001 SL2

Mark Chevrolet Inc
Wayne, MI 48184
Dealer Website
Updated Jun 12, 2011

Manufacturer
Saturn

Part Numbers
Qty Needed1
STRAP

This dealership, which looks to be close to Toledo zip code, supposedly has one of the part number jzambon mentions in stock. Just FYI. Maybe you can negotiate a deal on this part, since it probably isn't a hot item for them. It's probably been on their shelf for eternity. Then again, if you aren't in a hurry, online is probably cheaper. I've had some success at brick and mortar places negotiating deals on slow moving parts that the guy would like to have off his shelf today.

Being cheap, I fabricated my own strap out of the material I linked you in my earlier post for $5. You get 10' of it for $5, and it's galvanized. You could probably do the job 3 times for $5 worth of material, even if it rusted out every 2 or 3 years.

wanted...complete OEM roof rack setup from 96+ wagon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to syncro87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help syncro87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
syncro87 is offline   Reply With Quote