SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
David Helgerson
David Helgerson is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2000 Saturn SL - Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

I don't see how to bring a BFH into play. Or the threaded tool, for that matter. The tie rod end is almost directly below the axle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Helgerson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Helgerson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David Helgerson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Helgerson View Post
I don't see how to bring a BFH into play. Or the threaded tool, for that matter. The tie rod end is almost directly below the axle.
No. Did you read the guide at all?
The ball joint is directly under the axle, the TRE is 6+ inch's to rear of the car from the axle and roughly the same height as the axle. Plenty of video's on YouTube on how to get the ball joint out (Richpin....FiremanCV....1-2 others I can't think of).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
David Helgerson

Well, I got it off with some penetrating oil and a hammer and a punch. Now the problem is this: when I used the hub puller, it didn't pull the hub out of the bearing, it pushed the drive shaft back. Yes, I should have used a slide hammer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help David Helgerson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
David Helgerson

Got it. Thanks, everyone, this thread was very helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #25
tede02
tede02 is on a distinguished road

Idea Re: 2000 Saturn SL - Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

This thread is very good. I just want to add a few things from my experience that I hope will help others. I recently installed wheel bearings on my wife's 2001 SC2 with 190,000 miles. I also replaced the tie rod ends, ball-joint/control arm and struts.

First, if you are doing wheel bearings on a vehicle that has 150,000+ miles and all of the front end components are original, there's a good chance that many will also be due for replacement. While you're in there, its very easy to go a few extra steps to replace worn out parts. Plus, its virtually certain that you will mangle the tie rod and ball joint boots when separating them from the steering knuckle. Be sure to have new boots on hand or a totally new part.

Next, there's a chance that the slide hammer you borrow or purchase will not have an adapter that properly fits onto the wheel studs. This is what I ran into and it sounds like others have faced this problem. Fortunately I have access to a mill and was able to machine the slots on the adapter so it fit snug. This is just a warning that you may encounter this problem.

Next, when I used the slide hammer to separate the wheel hub, the bearing actually came apart (this happened on both sides). The outer race was stuck to wheel hub. On both sides I was able to use a cut-off wheel to carefully cut the race so I could get it off. After 190,000 miles and 12 Minnesota winters, I wasn't too surprised this happened.

Next, getting the bearing out of the knuckle was not as simple as removing the retainer clip and pressing it out. Again, 12 Minnesota winters of salt on the roads had the retainer clips on both sides virtually frozen into the knuckle. The solution was lots of heat with an acetylene torch.

After hitting the speed bumps I just described, re-assembly was pretty straight forward. The advice on this thread about pressing the bearings is good if you're looking for guidance.

If you're contemplating the job, make sure you either have, or have access to, some of the basic metal working tools I described. If you're working on a vehicle with lots of miles, chances are you'll run into some of the same dis-assembly problems I encountered. Without the correct tools, you'll be stuck. I would not recommend this job to someone with limited mechanical experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tede02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tede02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tede02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
glowry
glowry is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2002 SL

What is the best Bearing to purchase? I purchased a set of Oreily's Lifetime bearings 1.5 years ago and have had to replace the right side once and the left side twice since then. The Right Side is making noise again, so I am planning to make a change of bearing suppliers. I am done with the junk. I am either looking at Timkins at Rock Auto, Moog at Advanced or going back to GM for the Saturn part. I was thinking about going with the Timkins, but wanted to get some feedback if anyone has had good or bad experiences.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to glowry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help glowry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
glowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
MrMynx
MrMynx is on a distinguished road

This looks a lot easier than it is...I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy and have a 2000 Saturn SL1..Have done countless jobs myself and am not happy to have to have stopped after removing brakes/caliper. Reason Nuts holding on the assembly were part of the steel surrounding it (I live in Canada, lots of salt on the roads in the winter) makes everything that's exposed rust. If I had the proper tools I might have made it. Point-Only attempt if you have an impact gun..or your parts are clean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrMynx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrMynx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrMynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
billr
billr is a jewel in the roughbillr is a jewel in the roughbillr is a jewel in the rough

Did you try something like naval jelly, with phosphoric acid to dissolve the rust? A long wrench will give as much torque as any impact wrench, that's not "essential".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
brian74
brian74 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2002 SC2

I did mine today. The hardest part was finding something the right diameter to press the bearings with.

As others have mentioned:

One thing to remember is that if you are pressing the bearing in or out of the spindle, apply pressure only on the outer race of the bearing. When pressing on to the hub, apply pressure only on the inner race of the bearing. You don't want to put a lateral load on the bearing the while pressing it. Also, avoid putting pressure on the outer seal.

I actually used the old bearing to press the new bearing into the spindle. Once it was fully in, a couple firm whacks with a hammer got the old bearing loose.

Heat also works well if it is being stubborn coming out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brian74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brian74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brian74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #30
Saturn98sl
Saturn98sl is on a distinguished road

1998 SL

I dont get why a slide hammer is used to remove the hub? Just press it out. I had to use some 3/4 bars accross the press but it comes right out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn98sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn98sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn98sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #31
chrispel
chrispel is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2001 SL2

Which adapter was used out of the kit? I bought the same kit, but was unable to find the correct adapter that would fit in the hub to press the bearing out.

92 SC2 V1 A Trim 5-10 PSI
98 SC2 DP Nitrous

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chrispel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chrispel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chrispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

I have a large socket set (one inch drive) and I just hunt through it and find one that works. If you don't have that just find anything of the correct diameter. For some bearings I have found pipe sizes that work. You can press the new bearing into the hub with the outer race of the old bearing. When you press the spindle in you need to support the inner race so find something of that diameter to use. I have a pipe piece that works well. You can find different pipe diameters or large sockets at the hardware store. Harbor Freight is also a good place to find big sockets that are inexpensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #33
addemeter
addemeter is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1238 View Post
I have never replaced wheel bearings for this car, but for another car I used a large vice and various sized pipes to press the old bearing out and press a new one in. In other cases I have hammered the old bearing out with a punch (old discarded kingpin), side-to-side (fairly forceful taps 180 degrees apart, but not too forcefully, as you can jam the bearing), since pressing out the bearing is more difficult than pressing in a new bearing (with a vice), since a large (larger than the diameter of the bearing) pipe must be used otherwise to hold the knuckle in place while the bearing is being pressed out. Another smaller pipe, smaller than the outer diameter of the bearing, is used to press out the old bearing and press in the new bearing. It helps to oil the new bearing well on its outer surface, and to soak the old bearing with PB Blaster as it is being worked loose.

A new bearing, of course, should always ONLY be pressed in, as hammering will damage the balls/rollers, and ideally the old one should only be pressed out if proper equipment is available, as there is far less risk for jamming.

....Your way is by far the BEST way, but for those who absolutely do not have access to a press, but may have a large vice lying around, there are possibilities....
Not saying your wrong but I tried to press these Saturn bearings out with a Harbor Freight 6ton bench top press the thing wouldn't budge. I would not recommend anything smaller than a 12 ton press as the poster used. Maybe my bearing was just in there real good though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to addemeter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help addemeter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
addemeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #34
Cruzer32
Cruzer32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by addemeter View Post
Not saying your wrong but I tried to press these Saturn bearings out with a Harbor Freight 6ton bench top press the thing wouldn't budge. I would not recommend anything smaller than a 12 ton press as the poster used. Maybe my bearing was just in there real good though.
My bearings only came out with a 3/4" chisel and a BFH, in many pieces.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cruzer32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cruzer32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cruzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #35
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

mostapasta, did you always have that press or did you obtain it just because you have an S-series?

'94 navy blue SC1 from 04.2004 to 04.2011 which retired undefeated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #36
Sega|Saturn
Sega|Saturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

how much in totlL

♪Nothing can survive the will to stay alive...'Cause if you try, you can do anything!♪

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sega|Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sega|Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sega|Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #37
Tighe
Tighe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowry View Post
What is the best Bearing to purchase? I purchased a set of Oreily's Lifetime bearings 1.5 years ago and have had to replace the right side once and the left side twice since then. The Right Side is making noise again, so I am planning to make a change of bearing suppliers. I am done with the junk. I am either looking at Timkins at Rock Auto, Moog at Advanced or going back to GM for the Saturn part. I was thinking about going with the Timkins, but wanted to get some feedback if anyone has had good or bad experiences.
THIS! I am on my 4th set of bearings in a year this month! The bearings came from Carquest, and after they were bought out by Advance Auto a set from there! This last set lasted about 2 weeks!!! Totally unacceptable!

Where are you guys buying your bearings now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tighe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tighe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #38
billr
billr is a jewel in the roughbillr is a jewel in the roughbillr is a jewel in the rough

I use Timken, but two weeks is too soon for any bearing. How are you doing R & R of the bearings? You should have the knuckle bore checked for out-of-round and size; an auto machine shop can do that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #39
Cruzer32
Cruzer32 is on a distinguished road

No commercially available bearing will fail that quickly, consistently like that. There is something fundamentally wrong in the way you're replacing them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cruzer32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cruzer32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cruzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #40
trottida
Advanced Member
trottida will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1

I've had a bad run with Moog, getting about 5000 to 8000 Kilometers out of them. I'm on my 3rd and with the last replacement I had them change the spindle nut rather then re-use the existing one. They are supposed to be a one time use nut but others have said that you can re-use them with lock-tite.

If that doesn't work then I'll insist that the shop removes the assembly and use a shop press to press the bearing in rather then using the on car method; this combined with a new spindle nut.

Fortunately Moog has a 3 year warranty and my mechanic is not charging for the labour to redo them.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (366,000 km @ 11/2014)
2005 Suburban Z71 (245,000 km @ 11/2014)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote