SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
eadgils
eadgils is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Recommended oil change

I changed my oil back in April and had Synthetic put in. Right now, I have gone 3,000 miles and my change indicator on the DIC is only at 75%. I drive about 90-95% highway. when do you think i should change it again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eadgils's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eadgils reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eadgils is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Recommended oil change

There are basically two schools of thought here about oil life; old school 3k mile changes (wasting perfectly good synthetic) oil or going the distance and using the OLM to calculate and remind you when to change oil (and filter). With your percentage rating (a calculation subject to change because the OLM calculates dynamically and isn't a fixed mileage value but many variables), it may turn on after 12k miles OR sooner. There are many that are frightened of running oil past 5k miles and unwilling to accept how well oil formulations have benefited towards longer mileage, especially synthetic oil. One factor to possibly a longer mileage interval before the OLM turns ON would be the 90-95% highway mileage driven. Since the engine is running at peak operating conditions and is simply humming along in sweet harmony where it likes to be (mid rpm range) the OLM doesn't see short trips or many starts and stops with the engine cycling from cold to hot several times a day. Engine cycles are another factor in the OLM calculations so the longer the engine runs between off/on/off cycles the higher the mileage added to using oil before the OLM reminds you to replace it.

You can always replace oil sooner, before the OLM indicator turns on as many do by choosing a percentage remaining (say 50%, 25%, whatever) and be content with that while comparing how many miles were run at the time of oil replacement. Nothing is set in stone about oil replacement intervals. The OLM is GM's very good method to many (that use it but still checks oil level to ensure its topped off and don't use it as an excuse for an oil LOW light ) to simplify when to change oil as it neither runs to extremes forcing oil change too early nor too late but a real world happy medium.

There are a few here that are using extended oil changes based on synthetic oil and personal habits to run the (whatever the) maximum mileage is possible before replacing it. This includes replacing the oil filter at the OLM interval but keeping the oil in until the next oil light cycle; basically changing oil every other OLM indication but replacing the filter at every OLM indication. This is strictly with synthetic to maximize its long term use properties instead of throwing it away before its time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Replace at 25%. Be happy and enjoy the 9,000 miles.
Change more frequently if you live in a very dusty area.
(like lots of road construction, gravel roads, lots of farmers fields with plowing going on, ect.)

If it ain't broke it's over designed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
eadgils
eadgils is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Yea.. .I live in Raleigh, NC.. I take 540 back and forth each day of work (if anyone knows that highway)... no congestion and the like... and humming along at under 2k rpms with my 2007 XR, its enjoying the highway use...

I still check the oil on occasion to verify its level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eadgils's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eadgils reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eadgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
jimltz
jimltz is on a distinguished road

if you're really anal and willing to spend a few more bucks, wait until your oil monitor is at 10%, then send a sample of your oil into a place like Blackstone Laboratory to get it tested. I think you'll find the oil will still be good for several thousand miles of use. Testing the oil is the only way to know for sure its condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimltz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimltz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
jetfixer737
jetfixer737 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I've run synthetic in many of my vehicles and finally just dismissed the OLM's in each. My system is to buy a quality synthetic (I recently switched from Royal Purple to the best Amsoil variety, which is Guaranteed for 25K or 1 year, whichever comes first) and do my oil changes at 10k, 20k, 30k, etc. and at each halfway, meaning at 15k, 25k, 35k, etc. I spin on a clean oil filter, and top it off. My 2003 Chevy Avalanche is approaching 100,000 miles (With 95% of that using this system) and it still runs terrific and still burns/leaks no oil whatsoever.

2008 Saturn Aura XR
2003 Chevy Avalanche 4X4
2008 Harley Davidson Road Glide

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jetfixer737's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jetfixer737 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jetfixer737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
ionracer30
ionracer30 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
2007 AURA XE

heck i use synthetic and everytime i change it itsat least a quart low

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ionracer30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ionracer30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ionracer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I run Mobil 1 and adhere to the OLM for oil change intervals; about 10K miles with mixed city/highway driving. My engine does not use a drop of oil.

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

The OLM does not know what quality of oil you have put in the car. It assumes you're using regular oil that meets GM's minimum requirements and a stock-quality filter.

So the way I see it, if GM engineers think my car is OK for 10,500 miles (that's about how long my intervals have been with 90% city/suburban) with regular oil, then I'm DEFINITELY OK with Mobil 1 in there for that long.

So basically I change when my DIC says 'change oil soon' (seems to start happening under 5% life remaining) and feel fine about it.

But yeah, use blackstone labs for a sample if you really want to know. The peace of mind and/or savings on oil changes (synthetic isn't cheap) would pay for itself almost immediately. I think they only charge ~20 bucks. Plus you'll also be made aware if you have any other issues like excessive wear or a coolant leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
PeterXR
PeterXR is on a distinguished road

If you're still into dino oil, check out the new standards for GF-5 oils compared to the older GF-4. Here are some links. Hey, they even use our 3.6 ltr for the fuel consumption tests. http://www.gf-5.com/the_story/testing/
http://www.gf-5.com/the_story/performance/

Last edited by PeterXR; 06-13-2011 at 08:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeterXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeterXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeterXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

One of the major factors to oil change interval is how much dirt your air filter passes. Dyno or the best synthetic can not protect your engine from dirty air. I have used Blackstone labs in the past. Since I got their report using a K&N filter, I will never use their filters again.

If it ain't broke it's over designed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa View Post
One of the major factors to oil change interval is how much dirt your air filter passes. Dyno or the best synthetic can not protect your engine from dirty air. I have used Blackstone labs in the past. Since I got their report using a K&N filter, I will never use their filters again.
Better oil has better detergents, which would help move that dirt to your filter where it would be captured. I suppose if enough dirt made it through your filter might stop filtering, and then there's particles that are too small to be filtered out, but I figure a higher quality oil would probably do a better job of holding those small particles in suspension until your next oil change?

FWIW I pulled my Aura 2.4's air filter at 22,400 miles a couple weeks ago and was amazed at how clean it was overall. Granted, it's a pretty big air filter and I guess my soft-footed driving habits combined with the 2.4 probably don't result in a lot of air being sucked in. I also have a habit of letting completely off the gas when driving through any dust clouds.

I'd be worried about what might be getting let through but the other side of the filter box looked factory new... spotless/clean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
regenoldiii
regenoldiii is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

I agree that your computer doesn't know what type of oil your using and is expecting your using at least the minimum recommended (e.g., 5W-30, non-synthetic). If you use a synthetic, then the lifetime of your oil and its detergent capacity should extend beyond what the pre-programmed computer is indicating. I would, however, recommended contacting the manufacturer to verify this and ask if the manufacturer has *general* guidelines for synthetic use (i.e., synthetic will last 50% longer in your engine, so at 0% after 4K miles, then reset your computer as if you changed oil and let computer run down to 50% life).

BMW, for turbo use, actually only approves 4 different brands of synthetic oil. As I recall, they are very specific types of oil in specific brands: Pennzoil (some euro blend), Mobil 1 (0w-40), Castrol (don't recall viscosity), and Valvoline Syntec 5W-30... I can get the Valvoline at Walmart in 5 quart jugs, so I buy the Valvoline. Some of the other recommended brands, such as the Pennzoil Euro Blend are hard to find and something like $8 a quart... rather pricey when the car holds at least 6 quarts.

Vehicles:
----------
'95 Saturn SC1 (single owner)
'99 Mustang GT (sold)
'09 Toyota RAV Sport
'09 BMW 135i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to regenoldiii's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help regenoldiii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
regenoldiii is offline   Reply With Quote