SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default 2001 L300 ignition wiring??

Hi! This is my first L series! It's a 2001 (or 2000) l3000 it's an auto with 111k. I paid $600 up front and another $200 when I get the title. I got this car from a towing company and am waiting (and hoping) for the title...

Anyway, there is a weird wiring harness that's been spliced into a module on the left of the steering wheel. The car won't start with the key, but if you turn the key on and energize the purple wire (that's connected to the yellow wiring on the car), the starter engages and you can start the car. Turning the key back off shuts it off.

My question is WTF is this harness and can I simply remove it and splice the original wires back together? The blue wire on the floorboard is my lead from the battery that I insert into the harness to engage the starter while the key is on..

Also, is there a how-to on the timing belt?

Thanks!

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L300 ignition wiring??

Welcome to the dark side. Timing's been covered a few times. You'll find the info by searching past threads by great pictures and write-ups.

I'm studying your artwor...err, wiring...............

If its possible, reconnect all the wiring back, color to color match. My guess is that this cut up was to create an aftermarket harness to use for either a remote start or alarm. If you're familiar with Passlock, this theft deterrent system can be trouble to a few not familiar with wiring in aftermarket alarm and/or remote start systems. Interfering with the factory theft deterrent system caused the system to lock out the driver from starting and driving away.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

Last edited by fdryer; 06-05-2011 at 01:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

I was wondering if it might have been part of an alarm or remote start that was installed on the car. From what I know of the history, the car sat for a couple years at a rental place until the landlord called the towing company to come remove it.

I did try replacing the module that the wires were plugged into with no change.

Here are a couple more pics:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
ShawnV
Master Member

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Well whatever that harness was I removed it and spliced the original wires back together. The problem is fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!