SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
jhoma
jhoma is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Battery failure on 2008 Vue XE

We have a 2008 Vue XE with about 21,000 miles on it. This morning, with no warning, the car wouldn't turn over. I measured the battery voltage at about 10.5 volts. After charging with a high-current battery charger, I got the car started. I ran it for a while, but it still wouldn't start without the aid of the charger. When the car is running, the battery voltage is about 14.5 volts, so it seems that the charging circuit is working. Has anyone experienced such a sudden battery failure? Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement battery brand?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhoma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhoma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhoma is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Battery failure on 2008 Vue XE

10.5v is exactly 2v less than 12.5v, suggesting one cell dying out of six. If this battery is a 3yr/36 month battery, its about due for replacement. Any good auto store battery should do. Stay with known brands with a warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
HarleyWJones
HarleyWJones is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1993 SL2

One word of advice, buy the battery that weighs the most that you can find in the same physical size you need. The added lead will not only provide extra capacity, but it makes the battery plates stronger and less likely to fail.

SuAnn and Harley Jones
with Whisper the Sheltie
pushing my 40' Gulfstream Friendship G7 DP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HarleyWJones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HarleyWJones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

2008 vues had a fair amount of bad batteries.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
guyc66
guyc66 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2002 SC2

The same thing happend on our '08 Vue XE. I just replaced with a new battery and have not had any problem since......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyc66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyc66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

My first battery lasted 15 months. I am looking at replacing the current one on the next service as I am pushing the 3 year point. 3 yrs is a long time for a battery here in AZ.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerec130 View Post
My first battery lasted 15 months. I am looking at replacing the current one on the next service as I am pushing the 3 year point. 3 yrs is a long time for a battery here in AZ.

Homer
Our OEM battery lasted 35 months and I was told I was very fortunate to get that long out of it. The problem was a dead cell that kept draining the other good cells. The warning that something was happening was just like yours, the vehicle wouldn't start. Changed to an Interstate battery, no problems since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
2008vueXE
2008vueXE is on a distinguished road

Mines too. Dead at 3yrs 65k miles. Very young but I know what killed it. I cleaned the carpets and seat very well and went crazy in detailing the interior. But I did it with the radio in and all the doors open. Dome lite on since DS door was open. 3 hours later, dead. Jump start it and ran fine for about a week. Then it died again when I parked, turned off the engine a put the hazzard lights on and radio on. 10 minutes, drained. Had to jump start again. So I bought a 65$ battery from wallmart. Works like new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2008vueXE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2008vueXE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2008vueXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Speakrz
Speakrz is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

I got the same 3yrs - 50K out of my battery. Dead cell as with most others on the forums. Voltage read about 10V+/- at the terminals but fired right up to 14.4+/- when the Vue was running - I was thankful the charging system was OK. Would rather replace a battery than an alternator any day.

2008 Saturn Vue Redline
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speakrz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speakrz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Speakrz is offline   Reply With Quote