SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Paul Lester
Paul Lester is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2000 SL1
Default Some thoughts on tightening the input shaft nut

First, just do it! I followed the the excellent description given by "Plastic Torpedo" and it took about three hours total. If I did it again I could probably shave an hour off that. I also heeded "blackeagle1" advise to remove the two 9mm bolts from the cover that hold one of the tubes. This made it possible to rotate the cover as it was removed and made putting it back a snap. The most aggravating part of the whole job was cleaning off the old gasket. The 23mm socket I got at Oreilly's was too thick to fit in the clutch pack but I took an angle grinder and ground down the outside of the socket a bit and it fit fine after that. Changed the fluid and filter and went for a drive. Reverse is smooth and there was a slight hard shift into second for a while but that went away after a few times and seems to be gone for good. This forum saved me at least a couple of grand or the hassle of buying another car. Thanks to all. Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Paul Lester's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Paul Lester reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Paul Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1
Default Re: Some thoughts on tightening the input shaft nut

Did you grind the frame or drop the cradle etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Why bother? Not needed when you undo the pair of 9mm bolts, it pulls right out.

$4 socket from Napa worked perfect on '96 SL1 autotragic with only a grinding noise for reverse. Never did bother actually fixing that, only reliable way to fix an autotragic is to swap a 5spd in.

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
FlipThisSaturn
FlipThisSaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lester View Post
First, just do it! I followed the the excellent description given by "Plastic Torpedo" and it took about three hours total. If I did it again I could probably shave an hour off that. I also heeded "blackeagle1" advise to remove the two 9mm bolts from the cover that hold one of the tubes. This made it possible to rotate the cover as it was removed and made putting it back a snap. The most aggravating part of the whole job was cleaning off the old gasket. The 23mm socket I got at Oreilly's was too thick to fit in the clutch pack but I took an angle grinder and ground down the outside of the socket a bit and it fit fine after that. Changed the fluid and filter and went for a drive. Reverse is smooth and there was a slight hard shift into second for a while but that went away after a few times and seems to be gone for good. This forum saved me at least a couple of grand or the hassle of buying another car. Thanks to all. Paul.
I thought I remembered this written somewhere in the thousands of S-series threads:

The symptom=Clunks and no reverse
The virus=Bad Valve Body

So if you havent replaced the solenoid or valve that is causing the clunk and no reverse, you're only fixing the symptoms, not the problem. The nut will back out again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FlipThisSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FlipThisSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FlipThisSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Paul Lester

2000 SL2
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
I loosened the cradle at the front and back which gave me a bit more clearance. After reading so many warnings to not bend the tubes I was especially careful to pull straight out. In my case I don't think it would have cleared otherwise. I did not want to alter the frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Paul Lester reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Paul Lester

2000 SL2
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipThisSaturn View Post
I thought I remembered this written somewhere in the thousands of S-series threads:

The symptom=Clunks and no reverse
The virus=Bad Valve Body

So if you havent replaced the solenoid or valve that is causing the clunk and no reverse, you're only fixing the symptoms, not the problem. The nut will back out again
You may be right but for now the car shifts smoothly in all gears and at such high milage it is worth trying it this way. I can always do it again and replace the valve body next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
FlipThisSaturn
FlipThisSaturn is on a distinguished road

Oh you're definitely right. And as easy as it is to fix, you can replace 40 nuts for the cost it takes to replace the valve body. Just depends what your time is worth. You'll be able to knock it out in 30 minutes pretty soon haha

Can you post the link to the instructions about removing the tube bolt to make it slide easier? Does that make it so you dont have to remove the tubes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FlipThisSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FlipThisSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FlipThisSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Paul Lester

2000 SL2
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipThisSaturn View Post
Oh you're definitely right. And as easy as it is to fix, you can replace 40 nuts for the cost it takes to replace the valve body. Just depends what your time is worth. You'll be able to knock it out in 30 minutes pretty soon haha

Can you post the link to the instructions about removing the tube bolt to make it slide easier? Does that make it so you dont have to remove the tubes?
Just remove the two small bolts in the cover. They attach one of the tubes to the cover. That just leaves one you have to deal with when removing the cover. You still have to remove the loose tube to tighten the nut but just grab it and pull. When you put the cover back put the loose tube in first and put the screw holes in the general position to replace bolts. Slide the cover in place and then tease the bolt holes into position with a small probe to align the holes for the bolts. Finger tighten the small bolts and be sure the cover is properly seated then finish tightening them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

These 3 posts provide a detailed description of the nut replacement exercise, with pictures.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112858

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164114

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164115

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
hein
Advanced Member
hein is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Here's a link to the tool I make for holding the clutch pack:
http://www.saturnfans.com/classified...t/3767/cat/500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Paul Lester

2000 SL2
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Why bother? Not needed when you undo the pair of 9mm bolts, it pulls right out.

$4 socket from Napa worked perfect on '96 SL1 autotragic with only a grinding noise for reverse. Never did bother actually fixing that, only reliable way to fix an autotragic is to swap a 5spd in.
I sort of have to take issue with the term "autotragic". This car(bought new in 2000) has 187,000 miles now and the only problem I have ever had with the transmission was last week and I was able to fix it myself. Seems like a pretty good piece of equipment to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!