SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
wulf
wulf is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 SL2 transmission problem

Hey everyone, I'm writing here in the hopes of getting some information or help with my car.

My Saturn has been having problems with it's transmission, initially, it's been kicking when going in reverse, and slightly kicking in other gears as well (can't remember which ones at the time).

I took my car in and had the fluid replaced at AAMCO. they said they found 'clutch matter' and couldn't do a full flush because it might damage the transmission, so they did something else which they explained was basically replacing most of the fluid (if my memory serves me right). This lessened the occurrence and severity of the slamming, but didn't eliminate it.

After awhile (months?) the slamming got bad again. I decided to change the transmission fluid myself. This helped again, but, once again didn't fix the issue.

I decided to check to see if the shaft nut was loose. It didn't seem to be loose much, if at all. Of course, since I had to change the fluid to do this, the transmission started working better...

Now, my Saturn is slamming more often in all gears, sometimes one of the gears will slip instead of slam (one of the lower gears will not engage and the engine will rev before it engages). Now it's even having problems with downshifting....

I decided to call a mechanic and bring it in after memorial day. The mechanic has told me that if it's slamming like that, then the transmission is bad and needs to be replaced.

After searching on these forums, I feel like I should of done wolfman's 'reverse' slam cure (it was slamming hardest in reverse), and maybe checked the valve body solenoids....not sure, I'm not a mechanic, and I'm learning things as I go. Any advice on things to do, or check over the weekend before bringing it in to the mechanic, or is all hope for my transmission lost?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wulf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wulf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: 2001 SL2 transmission problem

When was the filter replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
wulf

I had my transmission fluid initially changed at a shop at around 65k miles before my problem started (it's at just under 75k miles atm...)

The filter should of been changed the last time I went to AAMCO. Also, the first time I changed the transmission fluid myself, I changed the transmission filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wulf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wulf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

The first linked post will help with the initial diagnosis of what is wrong.

Transmission repair
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...nput+shaft+nut

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112858

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164114

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164115

Transmission gasket part numbers
21003202 is the valve body cover gasket. This fits 96-02
21001684 is the end cover gasket. This fits 91-02
21001679 is the output shaft nut. This fits 91-02
21001680 is the input shaft nut. this fits 91-02

Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
wulf

Thank you all for the information.

So, I'm curious:

1. at what point would I have to replace the transmission (via a mechanic) instead of changing the valve body, and tightening the shaft nut? When the transmission completely breaks down and I can't shift? Rather, how do I know that it's too late to fix this?

2. Would the valve body cause shifting problems in all gears or just reverse (and I think 2nd?). Also, when I checked the shaft nut (without changing the valve body) it wasn't loose. Could this imply another problem (besides not doing it properly)?

3. Is my mechanic potentially wrong about the slamming being an indication of needing the transmission replaced?

4. Finally, I remember reading the forums about using sonnax parts for the valve body (rebuild?). I called their sight a while back and was informed that there was a kit with a sleeve and the part without the sleeve. The sleeve kit requires a 'special' tool that sells for about $500. The question that I have is, how would I tell if the sleeve is bad or not (which would mean that I require the sleeved kit) and, is it common for the sleeve to go bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wulf's Reputation