SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
dangeresque490
dangeresque490 is on a distinguished road

Default 97 sl2 problems downshifting

I recently got a 97 sl2 automatic with 218000 miles on it. The car has been running fine for about month but has had shifting problems recently. The service engine light came on I started to notice issues every time the car downshifts. The RPMs rev up slightly whenever the car changes gears, most noticeably from 2nd to 1st and it feels like the car is using additional gas to do this.

I haven't had any reverse slam problems or noticeable shifting problems when accelerating.

I only have once day off a week so I was hoping it might be something I can fix myself. I already put a decent amount of work into the car since it was gifted to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From what I was told the transmission was replaced at some point and only has about 70,000 miles on it.

Last edited by dangeresque490; 05-24-2011 at 05:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dangeresque490's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dangeresque490 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dangeresque490 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
Default Re: 97 sl2 problems downshifting

RPM's going up while downshifting is normal. Have the code for the SES read and report it back here.

Have you changed the ECTS?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
dangeresque490
dangeresque490 is on a distinguished road

I haven't changed the Ects. What would happen if it was broken and how would I know? Is it dangerous to run my car if it is broken?

The car definitely feels different when it shifts than it initially did when I got it. I read something about being able to find out the codes myself but I think I remember 97 being too late of a model. Who reads them for free?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dangeresque490's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dangeresque490 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dangeresque490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Not sure where you are located, but Auto Zone or Advance Auto could read the codes for you unless you're in CA. The ECTS tells the PCM (computer) the engine temp. Only way you will know is to check to see if you have the faulty resin-tipped sensor that came in the car. The original faulty ECTS will crack and give incorrect info. Check out the second or third sticky in the how-to forum. Take the forum jump at the bottom right hand side of this page. It's not dangerous, but it can cause all kinds of problems whether or not it is the cause of the transmission problems.

Do you have any info on the maintenance on the transmission other than the replacement? Fluid and filter changes? Any idea on how old the battery or alternator are?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote