SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1
Default Broken Shifter

Anyone ever broke there manual shifter? The round piece the connects to the ball on my shifter broke last night... no I wasn't being particularly nice to it at the time. But was wondering if there is an aftermarket option or even where I can get a new/used one. I haven't checked the wreckers yet as it looks like the plastic piece that attaches to the cable is all one unit.

Open to ideas and suggestions. As it looks like now I will be building a custom piece to fix it. Will post pictures later of the broken piece and new one if I make it.

Also, I was doing a 3-4 shift when it happened... and it was an interesting drive home from work after I removed the interior piece.. lol had first third fourth and fifth gear to play with. I am also under the impression that the lube I used may have dried out the plastic too. The pieces looks like there tore rather than a straight break. The shifter started to feel a bit sloppy and was hard doing first second and fifth gear engagement. I just figured with the cold the transmission was being stubborn... even with Mobil 1 synthetic in it.

Nick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frostman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frostman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Broken Shifter

Are you describing a broken shift bushing for the 'L' or 'S' car? If its the 'L' then you may be the first post about it. The 'S' cars have many posts about broken bushings, Toyota replacements, stainless ebay buys, and other custom made ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Frostman

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1

This is a L series manual transmission... And my dad and I took a look at it this morning and concluded that the plastic had dry rotted and had been on it's way to being fully broken for a few months after feeling how sloppy the shifter had felt.

Image attached...

Is there by chance a ion/sunfire/cobalt equivalent?

[IMG][/IMG]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Frostman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
born again
born again will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Maybe you can JB Weld that ring back together. Otherwise you may need to see what OEM parts are available, or see a junkyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Frostman

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1

Well, I was on nights last night and my dad decided to take a look at it. He got some really stiff felt and a screw clamp and used a dremel to make a slot through the large shifter piece and put the felt around the back of the ball and the clamp around that... and believe it or not, I like it now more than before. The engagement is tight and precise, fifth gear is different, it's not as far over so I have to relearn the feel of it. I will take pictures later, it's too dark out now.

Also it has a bit of a squeak when I shift LOL It's only temp until I find a used one or find a way to make a new one. But I really like how it is now and it won't break. If it breaks it will be on the big piece attached to the cable and that will be my own fault for riffing on it way too hard. But I must say, this has to have been going on it's way out for several months. My first to second shift is so much better. It used to be very temperamental to get it in and it's not now. And I am glad to know it was my shifter and not the transmission syncros.

Lastly, when I was checking the online wreckers lists for parts, I learned that I can get another transmission with 80K KM on it for 250 bucks CDN! I was really surprised to see how cheap I could get a new one. What are prices in the states like? I know brand new they are around 2400-2500 bucks US.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!