SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
rvsam
rvsam is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 Saturn Ion won't crank in park or neutral

I have a 2005 Ion 3 Automatic with 120,000 miles. I had the passlock problem and replaced the ignition switch myself 2 years ago. Then had the key stuck in the ignition problem. I removed the small access clip under the ignition key and found the release button. I just push the button each time I want my key back.
My problem now is that the car will not try to start in either park or neutral at all with the brake peddle depressed. It does not click or try. All looks normal as the key is turned just before the final start position. On final turn, the dash lights go out (normal)- nothing, no click or crank. Passlock light goes out a few seconds after key is turned to ACC so I do not think I have a Passlock problem again.
Then I thought the car did not know it was in Park but after much trouble found that I could release from park and put it in neutral by using the hidden park release. I shifted to neutral and tried, same thing, no click, no crank. Battery is strong, clean contacts. Still no crank. Any ideas?
PS: I cannot try the “white wire cut solution” since I cannot make it run yet. I have checked every fuse I know of, under hood and the ones in the fuse panal to the right of the gas pedal.
I do know if there is the transmission shift interlock (ITSI) and the brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI). Do you know how to test these or where I could find more info on them? I also visually checked the operation of the brake pedal switch and it appears to work fine. It looks new and the plunger has good travel. I did not do an electrical test.
I have a manual from Auto Zone (not Chilton's) but it is of almost no help except for wiring diagrams and does not show a BTSI OR A ITSI or they are labeled differently. Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rvsam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rvsam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rvsam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2005 Saturn Ion won't crank in park or neutral

this doesn't sound like a passlock problem, as you would get the lock indicator. so the white wire cut is even more useless a thing to try in this case. it sounds like it might be the switch in your shifter assembly that tells the BCM you're in park or neutral. depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you might be able to take the console out and see the switch(es) to check.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote