SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Medic-5150
Medic-5150 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Radiator Fan Doesn't Kick On...I'm Out Of Ideas

Hey,

It's a 97 SC2. My radiator fan refuses to kick on unless the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is unplugged. I had an automotive electrician take a look at it. We check all fuses relays, and grounds. We also checked the connector and the sensor. All of which seem to be working. Just to be sure, we bought another sensor. It didn't change anything. Any ideas as to why it won't kick on? The fan does work if it's jumped or the sensor is unplugged.

Thanks,
Andrew

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Cow-What A Ride!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medic-5150's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medic-5150 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medic-5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1
Default Re: Radiator Fan Doesn't Kick On...I'm Out Of Ideas

when do you think it should come on?

The needle will go all but 3/4 scale before it starts.

Search forum and conform but strait (needle 1/2 scale) up and down is only about 212 deg f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Medic-5150

1997 SC2

[QUOTE=1996SL11.9L;1745231]when do you think it should come on?

The needle will go all but 3/4 scale before it starts.

Search forum and conform but strait (needle 1/2 scale) up and down is only about 212 deg f[/QUOTE

3/4 needle in my car is when it hits the red. Half needle (straight up) is where it sits comfortable driving. It will stay there for hours. If it idles for any length of time it goes over the straight up mark. As it is, it smells hot and boils when I shut the car off. The fan never comes on, even when the needle is in the red. I read somewhere that if there was a constant signal coming from the AC compressor to the ECM then it can mess with the fan. My AC compressor doesn't run unless I hit the button. I know the fan should not kick on until it reaches running temperature, but it should most certainly kick on before it boils over...

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Cow-What A Ride!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Medic-5150 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

220 to 230 is fan on temp as far as I can tell.

Try replacing your reservoir cap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Medic-5150

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SL11.9L View Post
220 to 230 is fan on temp as far as I can tell.

Try replacing your reservoir cap.
I'm not sure I understand how the reservoir cap could have any effect on this...It probably needs one anyways though It seems to me that if my needle is hitting the red zone on the gauge the fan should have been triggered long before it ever got there. Are Saturn's different than every other car out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
1996SL11.9L

1996 SL1

does your ac work?

does the fan come on with it?

You say it comes on when you pull the temp sensor connector off so that seems to indicate the fan relay is operating properly.

The boiling point will rise with pressure, if your cap can't hold pressure it can boil.

You can also increase your antifreeze concentration to 60% that will put the boiling point way up towards 260 degrees.

reguardless if you are in the red it should come on........ If it knows its in the red it should come on. Have a temp gun to get a real temperature?

The coolent temp sensord are cheep.......yours can also be bad and reading incorectly. It seems they fail on the cold side which would have the engine running hotter then it thinks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124184

If you are able to successfully accomplish the tests shown in this video then you need to get a coolant temp reading when the gauge shows just above 3/8 and then 1/2.

If you don't have your own real-time ODBII monitor to capture your own reading, some parts stores will assist you with their monitor.

222 is the fan-on temp and that should register at just over 1/2 on your gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Medic-5150

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SL11.9L View Post
does your ac work?

does the fan come on with it?

You say it comes on when you pull the temp sensor connector off so that seems to indicate the fan relay is operating properly.

The boiling point will rise with pressure, if your cap can't hold pressure it can boil.

You can also increase your antifreeze concentration to 60% that will put the boiling point way up towards 260 degrees.

reguardless if you are in the red it should come on........ If it knows its in the red it should come on. Have a temp gun to get a real temperature?

The coolent temp sensord are cheep.......yours can also be bad and reading incorectly. It seems they fail on the cold side which would have the engine running hotter then it thinks.
I do not believe the fan comes on when I turn on the AC. I will have to check in the morning. The AC works just fine.

That makes sense about the pressure leaking. I had the system pressure tested, but not with the cap on.

The sensor is brand new today, I thought I would cover that base first but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I wish I had a temperature gun, I might be able to track one down. It would make things a lot easier!

The link to the video wasn't to a specific video, not sure if it was supposed to be or not. As for the list, I can and have done most of it already :-P

thanks for the pointers guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the a/c works and the cooling fan isn't running replace the fan. Its worn out. Yours should be screaming when it runs. All descriptions seem to indicate the fan and circuits are working but worn out fans are sometimes difficult to troubleshoot.

The fan should have turned on near the redline on the temperature gauge; it didn't to indicate its acting up by not running when expected.

Pulling the coolant sensor connector to make the fan run verifies the pcm connection to turn on the fan; a worn out fan may work intermittently when you're expecting it to.

Turning on the a/c (assuming its working) is supposed to turn on the cooling fan immediately and if you don't hear or see the fan running then its a worn out fan. A fan test with the a/c depends on the a/c operating and cooling; the compressor is running and the interior is cooling off. The fan will not run if the a/c system isn't working at all.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Medic-5150

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If the a/c works and the cooling fan isn't running replace the fan. Its worn out. Yours should be screaming when it runs. All descriptions seem to indicate the fan and circuits are working but worn out fans are sometimes difficult to troubleshoot.

The fan should have turned on near the redline on the temperature gauge; it didn't to indicate its acting up by not running when expected.

Pulling the coolant sensor connector to make the fan run verifies the pcm connection to turn on the fan; a worn out fan may work intermittently when you're expecting it to.

Turning on the a/c (assuming its working) is supposed to turn on the cooling fan immediately and if you don't hear or see the fan running then its a worn out fan. A fan test with the a/c depends on the a/c operating and cooling; the compressor is running and the interior is cooling off. The fan will not run if the a/c system isn't working at all.
Everything seems to be working fine for the first time since I bought the car . I put a new cap on the coolant reservoir and haven't had any issues since. The fan kicks on at the 3/4 mark. Seems incredibly hot to me, but from what you have all said that's normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!