SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Jon Boy
Jon Boy has a spectacular aura aboutJon Boy has a spectacular aura aboutJon Boy has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2
Default P0300 Random Multiple Misfire

I just bought a new 2001 SC2, and occasionally the Service Engine Soon light flashes at me. I took it to an Autozone and had them scan it for codes, and it showed a P0300—Random Multiple Misfire.

I replaced the spark plugs and wires, figuring that was the most likely culprit, but I got the SES light again this morning. It seems to be pretty random, and I don't notice any roughness or hesitation. It sounds and feels perfectly smooth, but then it just randomly flashes at me.

Any suggestions on what to check next? If it helps, the car's a manual and has 80,000 miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jon Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jon Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jon Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: P0300 Random Multiple Misfire

A dirty or bad EGR valve can cause this.

Do you know if the motor was ever replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Jon Boy
Jon Boy has a spectacular aura aboutJon Boy has a spectacular aura aboutJon Boy has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Do you know if the motor was ever replaced?
Not to my knowledge.

I'll check the EGR valve and see if that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jon Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

What brand of plugs and wires did Autozone sell you? Plugs/wires will do that also, as you know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Jon Boy

2001 SC2

Delco plugs and Bosch wires. They apparently didn't have NGKs in stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Delco copper core or platinum?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
Jon Boy

2001 SC2

Copper, of course. I've been lurking around here long enough to know that you never, ever use platinums in an S-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Have you removed the ICM and cleaned the corrosion off the mating surface to the bellhousing yet?

Also while you are there remove the 2 ground wires off the stud above it A big wire and a little wire) and clean that as well.

I use a electrically conductive grease to coat everything after its all cleaned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is no such thing as an electrically conductive grease other than No-Ox-Id (http://sanchem.com/) type coatings and it is for use on aluminum power cables and components e.g. 120/240vAC 200A service entrance cables. Do not put any grease on the back of the ICM as it serves no purpose. Thin film on the PCM ground may render it inoperable. So if you use grease on those other grounds mentioned keep the film at near invisible thickness. The ICM only contacts the bell housing at the 4 corners the remainder is for air cooling of the interior electronics. The 2 bolts that contact the brass grommets do have to be clean under the bolt head as that is an RFI/EMI ground.

How many miles on the car and have you done anything with the filter/regulator or any other fuel system parts?

Have you tried using a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner in the tank?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Jon Boy

2001 SC2

I haven't tried cleaning the ICM yet. I'll take a look at it tonight when I clean the EGR.

I put a bottle of Techron in the tank when I did the plugs and wires, but I haven't replaced the fuel filter or done anything else to the fuel system yet. It looks like the previous owner might have replaced the fuel rail, though—it looks different from the one on my last SC2. I'll take a picture of it tonight.

The car just passed 80,000 miles. I don't know if the fuel filter's been replaced yet, so I'm thinking it's probably due.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Jon Boy

2001 SC2

I wasn't able to get a look at the ICM, because I've been too busy and it's been raining most of the time I'm not busy (the joys of working in a gravel driveway). But I cleaned the EGR valve out and replaced the gasket. It was sooty, but it didn't seem to be clogged—the pintle still moved pretty freely, though it did seem to move a little better after the cleaning.

I'm ordering a Wix fuel filter from Rockauto. Anything else I should get while I'm at it?

And here's a picture of the suspicious-looking fuel rail. I'm not an expert, but it looks different from the ones in my '02 SC2 and '99 SW2. Thoughts? I can post a close-up of the label on it too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (133.4 KB, 94 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

http://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

This is what I use..............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That stuff is designed for power distribution and cu-al and al connectors/cables. And it will provide a fault path if it gets spread around where you do not want it. A 3 phase 3000amp 4160vAC breaker looks strange after some of that stuff gets where it does not belong. The No-Ox-Id is use in 120/240 service entrance panels on the aluminum cables to prevent aluminum corrosion and the resulting fire. The connectors in the Gen-2 and 3 Saturn are designed for low insertion pressure dry contacts with the sealing rubber piece lightly lubed with a special synthetic lubricant so they can be machine assembled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
1996SL11.9L

2002 SL1

I only use it to coat grounds and battery terminals for corrosion. That's basically what we used it for at my previous work place (I now work at Hershey's) especially in the manholes for the ground bar the corona drains got bugged to. We never used aluminum in our environment it broke too easy. I worked at the largest hardwood manufacture Hard Wood Saw Mill east of the Missippi, Called Weabers Inc. It's a very harsh enviroment, wet sawdust corroded everything not copper, the drying kilns would disolve aluminum conduit in a jiffy.

I do not jam it in connectors. I only use it for grounds and battery cables. according to their site its also for ground coating etc.

"NO-OX-ID electrical grease prevents the formation of oxides, sulfides and other corrosion deposits on copper, aluminum, and steel surfaces and conductors."

"When nuts, mounting bolts, and cotter keys are coated with NO-OX-ID "A-Special", they will never rust or freeze assuring you easy, trouble-free removal. NO-OX-ID "A-Special" should be used wherever the formation of a corrosive product will effect the proper functioning of the metal surface"

Other uses:

Aerial cable
Aluminum cable
Anchor rods
Battery holders
Battery terminals
Battery posts
Boot jack contacts
Bolted connections
Brackets
Bus Bar systems
Cables & clamps
Connectors
Contact points
Electrical conduit
Guy wires
High line towers
Insulators
Junction boxes
Manhole hardware
Nuts & bolts
Steel conduits
Steel fittings
Steel poles
Switchgear
Temper screws
Threaded connections
Transformer Bases
Turnbuckles
Wires
Circuit Breaker
Switches
Drawout Breakers

My truck battery terminals have it on for 2 winters now and look brand new. I tried it about 5 years ago when I lost the passenger side battery because the clamp bolt corroded enough inside the clamp that it completely isolated the the bolt from the led clamp. The bolt had a stud the other battery was bolted to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It works very well for grounds and the larger stuff. The problem is it is real easy for something like that to get applied where it causes serious problems or damage.

There is a powdered coper product that is in a bentonite clay and heavy oil base that is used to fix battery connections but if it gets on the regular 12v tongue connectors they will just quit conducting after a couple of months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
1996SL11.9L

2002 SL1

as with most things in the electrical field, you need to know what your doing or bad things happen (arch flast training comes to mind)

We have this guy here at work that insists on jamming silicone grease in the electrical plug on the cherry burell process valves thinking he makes them water proof. All it does is cause us electech's is headachs. And we can't get him to stop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, silicone grease and RTV get applied to many components for water proofing and alll that happens is any water is properly contained where you never wanted it to start with. And cleaning that gook up is a major job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
Jon Boy

2001 SC2

Well, I've got a new symptom: high idle. It just started last night and doesn't happen every time the engine is idling, but sometimes it's going up to 1500-2000 rpm. That's usually a sign of a vacuum leak, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #19
1996SL11.9L

2002 SL1

it can (a bad ECTS will do it also) cause detonation becaused of the cylinder leaning out.

3rd gen motors had a problem with the intake manifold gasket.

On the ram trucks with the 360 magnum the intake manifold gasket failure would cause enough detonation to kill the engine if not taken care of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Boy View Post
Well, I've got a new symptom: high idle. It just started last night and doesn't happen every time the engine is idling, but sometimes it's going up to 1500-2000 rpm. That's usually a sign of a vacuum leak, right?
The next time you get this high idle condition and you are stopped with the transmission in neutral just turn off the engine and restart it without ever touching the throttle. If it restarts at normal idle RPM then it is a defective TPS and not a random vacuum leak. Go to a J/Y and get a TPS from the same year and engine as your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!