SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
jojowasher
jojowasher is on a distinguished road

Default Broken Door handle

Hey,

I broke the inner door handle (chrome part) in my Astra today, does anyone know where to get a replacement? called the dealer and was told I had to buy an entire door... are the door handles the same front door to rear door?

Thanks,
jojo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jojowasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jojowasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jojowasher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
ad astra
ad astra is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
Default Re: Broken Door handle

Try getsaturnparts.com - if you're not sure of the part no. , call the toll free number. I've used them a couple of times with no problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ad astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ad astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ad astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

I had a squeaky door handle once and the dealership said they have to replace the entire door panel... And they did.

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! will become famous soon enoughAstra La Vista! will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojowasher View Post
Hey,

I broke the inner door handle (chrome part) in my Astra today, does anyone know where to get a replacement? called the dealer and was told I had to buy an entire door.
That's crazy, but not entirely surprising. You can see the inside of the doorpanel on page two of this thread, and it does indeed look like the release handle is not a separate part.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

revising this thread.

mine just broke today, the interior part moves, but does not unlatch it from the deal. not sure if its the cable or if the broke off the backside of the handle itself.

sucks now, cause i have to roll the window down and open it from the outside., hoping the outside doesnt break as well, then ill be either slimning my fat***** out the window or going in from the passager side.

ill look into it this weekend as im on 40hr weeks, so i got weekends again. not only to work on the astra, but Oggly truck as well. maybe actually get him on the road this year.

Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lunchbox1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
smwalker
smwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Wonder if lubricating the cable and ends will help prevent this.

Post some pics of where it broke lunch box.

Truely suck if you have to buy a door panel every time it breaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox1984 View Post
revising this thread.

mine just broke today, the interior part moves, but does not unlatch it from the deal. not sure if its the cable or if the broke off the backside of the handle itself.

sucks now, cause i have to roll the window down and open it from the outside., hoping the outside doesnt break as well, then ill be either slimning my fat***** out the window or going in from the passager side.

ill look into it this weekend as im on 40hr weeks, so i got weekends again. not only to work on the astra, but Oggly truck as well. maybe actually get him on the road this year.
From your description, I believe that the white plastic piece or the black plastic part it clips into (on the left) has sheared off, see the following picture borrowed from the thread Astra La Vista! linked.

Your symptom describes exactly what was happening to mine when I did not get the white piece clipped back in properly when I had the door skin off to fix the delightful "window glass off track" problem. Might be worth disassembling the door to see if its actually broke or just somehow came out of place. There is a very good "how-to" in the thread that Astra LA Vista! linked. Otherwise, you're either going to need a new cable (for the white plastic end) or a new door card (if the black plastic is sheared off).

2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FooBag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FooBag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
smwalker

2008 Astra XR

If it is as Foo describes it seems that it may be repaired with a strategically placed zip tie.

And Foo you meant door panel when you said door "card" yes?
Come on buddy keep the lingo on the respective sides of the pond! LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Lunchbox1984

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

well, i havent even had my panels off yet. hopefully you guys are right and its nothing major, ill take some pictures tomorrow. its 11pm my time and think its a bit dark out for photos

guess it might be time to put my kicker speakers in while i have it off

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Lunchbox1984

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

well pulled the door panel off and lucky the handle itself is still good. it broke in the door latch itself. called the dealership local too me and they didn't have a cable in stock, but it will be here Wednesday. so, ill drive over there Wednesday after work an pick it up. until then i need to re-glue the top plastic piece back on and another piece. the yellow glue they used is crap, doesn't work well here in the Texas heat. anyone got any ideas on some different epoxy's i could use that works on this type of application, worst case, im heading too lowes tomorrow and might need to get some clamps too to hold that stuff down while it drys.

so for now, i have no door panel and might pull the other side off to fix the same issue on it as well and might even put the speakers in. and ill take some pics.

As, anyone know where too get some of the plastic clips they use on the door besides the dealer and are the right ones. might need too replace a few.

Thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
FooBag
FooBag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Glad to hear its easily fixable! Pretty much any epoxy is going to be better than the glue. There's numerous sellers on ebay uk that have the clips & will ship to the US. Somehow, I managed the miracle of taking mine off without breaking any of the clips. :O

2008 Astra XR3
2012 Silverado Crew Cab

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FooBag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FooBag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FooBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! will become famous soon enoughAstra La Vista! will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Until then i need to re-glue the top plastic piece back on and another piece. the yellow glue they used is crap, doesn't work well here in the Texas heat. anyone got any ideas on some different epoxy's i could use that works on this type of application.
It would help I knew "what" you were trying to bond to "what". If the two pieces are made of a hard material and you don't want them to flex at all, JB Weld's metalized epoxies have never let me down. Most other two-part epoxies remain slightly flexible when cured, so that might be a better alternative when working with plastics. Very few of those epoxies are waterproof or resistant at really high temperatures, so read the backs for that (I'd recommend PC's Super Epoxy if that's what you're looking for). For a strong non-epoxy, I usually swear by Goop, although it takes something like 8 HRs to partially cure and 24 HRs to fully cure.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
well pulled the door panel off and lucky the handle itself is still good. it broke in the door latch itself. called the dealership local too me and they didn't have a cable in stock, but it will be here Wednesday. so, ill drive over there Wednesday after work an pick it up. until then i need to re-glue the top plastic piece back on and another piece. the yellow glue they used is crap, doesn't work well here in the Texas heat. anyone got any ideas on some different epoxy's i could use that works on this type of application, worst case, im heading too lowes tomorrow and might need to get some clamps too to hold that stuff down while it drys.

so for now, i have no door panel and might pull the other side off to fix the same issue on it as well and might even put the speakers in. and ill take some pics.

As, anyone know where too get some of the plastic clips they use on the door besides the dealer and are the right ones. might need too replace a few.

Thanks guys
harbor freight sells the interior panel removal kit for less than $5 i think. it is the same set other stores sell for a bit more. get one of those.

read the write up i poted in june or july 09 and i think midnight posted ea bit earlier on replacign speakers. very good instructions in midnights write up.

i bought a bag of clips at the local napa. almost the identical size. better not to need the clips and remove the panel the right way using the tool.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
smwalker

2008 Astra XR

Any update lunch box?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Lunchbox1984

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

oh my bad guys, been super busy with the wife(trying to get things ready and in order for our baby coming).

As for my door, yes, fixed it and glued the panel parts back on, ended up spending in total about 35 bucks, 24 for the cable and about 10 for the Gorilla Glue(worked awesome by the way). used some plastic clamps to hold the stuff on, i think its better than it was from the factory believe it or not. using the clamps though is a bit of a challenge in its own. hold the top piece firm against everything was a b---h. trying to get the whole panel glued to it all the way, not an easy job to make it conform to plastic. but worked nontheless.

going to pull the other side off maybe in the future too reglue its pieces as well.

Oh let that glue sit over night too inside your home, set really well indoors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Glad it worked out for you Lunch. Partially because of this thread I have my dented original door and a door card in my garage. I am trying to figure out a way to store the glass. I may just put that in the crawl space. I have a box full of the door's parts including the window switch, and cable. "just in case".

FYI the regulator is riveted to the door. Needless to say the regulator in the car now is from the junkyard door. But, if it goes, I have my original regulator and a dremel!! I wonder if it is the same part for the passenger door?

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote