SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
smileygirl0305
smileygirl0305 is on a distinguished road

Default ION overheating...

Hi. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion L3 4 door sedan. All of a sudden it is overheating when I drive slow or idle and the air conditioning will not stay cold when it is doing this. It was a pretty sudden change. Also, when I brake to come to a stop it is almost like the car trys to lurch forward while I have my foot on the brake and it is occasionally reving up while I am at a red light or even when I have the car in park. All these problems started at the same time. I am not sure the AC fan is coming on. I haven't checked anything else. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks for reading!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smileygirl0305's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smileygirl0305 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smileygirl0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: ION overheating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileygirl0305 View Post
Hi. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion L3 4 door sedan. All of a sudden it is overheating when I drive slow or idle and the air conditioning will not stay cold when it is doing this. It was a pretty sudden change. Also, when I brake to come to a stop it is almost like the car trys to lurch forward while I have my foot on the brake and it is occasionally reving up while I am at a red light or even when I have the car in park. All these problems started at the same time. I am not sure the AC fan is coming on. I haven't checked anything else. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks for reading!
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes and see if that works.
Let us know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The overheating is probably a bad fan, fuse, or relay. The second issue is likely your tps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
CO04ION
CO04ION is on a distinguished road

I am having the EXACT same symptoms with my own 2004 ION 3! Have you had any luck with any of the suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CO04ION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CO04ION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CO04ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
bravoland
bravoland is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue as well. Any other Suggestions>?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bravoland's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bravoland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bravoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

which one(s)? overheating, or the bad idle?

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
brapple
brapple is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes and see if that works.
Let us know how it goes.
why would this be the first thing that one should do? I would check for pending codes to see if it would point to any issues.

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour - 3L+turbo
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brapple's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brapple reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapple View Post
why would this be the first thing that one should do? I would check for pending codes to see if it would point to any issues.
There are setting in the computer that can become corrupted. Disconnecting the battery is an easy and quick way, and cheap by the way, to see if this has happened. Also for error messages that you see on your dash, if you do this and it comes back, you know that there is definitely an issue. My check engine light came on, but there was absolutely no indication of anything wrong.

I did this and now, after about 3 months the check engine light has not come back on. I checked for any fluid issues, spark plugs and anything I could think of. So as a quick and easy check, well, why not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
My check engine light came on, but there was absolutely no indication of anything wrong.

I did this and now, after about 3 months the check engine light has not come back on. I checked for any fluid issues, spark plugs and anything I could think of. So as a quick and easy check, well, why not?
So you had an engine light but no codes? (Very Strange indeed) Or do you mean "no indication of anything wrong" meaning it seemed to be running OK even with the light?

All for the pull the battery option as part of the toolbox but, if you have access to a scanner, best to know any codes before they go away. Might just take 3 months and 3 days before the pending codes pop up again... Or maybe it was just a loose gas cap and you lucked out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

No indication of anything wrong, as in, no RPM issues, milage issues, etc.
As to the gas cap, we don't have that here for the 06 Ion. I replaced the cap because it was loose or the ratchet effect was gone, but that was when I bought the car. They were supposed to do it, amoung a few other things, but of course, they didn't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #11
BLK07
BLK07 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

have you ever had the rad flushed.
They tend to build up a lot of crap and depending on how much there is in there it will overheat the engine. I have an 07 and had my rad flushed at 75 thousand KMS and have never had an overheating problem or an air conditioner issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BLK07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BLK07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BLK07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
brapple

The check engine light just doesn't come on for no reason at all. If the light comes on the engine performance isn't always changed. I know I have read about the reduced power mode before.

parameters that get corrupt in the computer? This isn't a desktop .... but maybe I just don't understand what GM does ....

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brapple reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #13
BLK07
BLK07 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Information Re: ION overheating...

Another thing to check, if its a sudden thing, is your thermostat.
When was the last time you cnecked it or had it replaced. Generally they last 4 or 5 years before they stop or develop issues. depending on where you live the garage or parts retailer can sell you the correct one.

What your describing is not a computer issue but a fluid circulation issue causing your engine to not move the hot antifreeze out to the rad for open air to cool.

I own a front wheel drive classic car with front wheel drive and the rad is in the wheel well meaning the engine gets air off the pavement directly and then the antifreeze gets super heated by the motor and is passed through the hot rad, all the while pushing hot air through it as well.

Even in parades it never overheats becasue I regularly change the antifreeze which breaks down over time., flush the system when its changed and replace the thermostat every 3 years.

I don't believe disconnecting the battery or getting codes will assist but I'd try those steps after determining the age of your thermostat and antifreeze condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BLK07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BLK07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BLK07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK07 View Post
have you ever had the rad flushed.
They tend to build up a lot of crap and depending on how much there is in there it will overheat the engine. I have an 07 and had my rad flushed at 75 thousand KMS and have never had an overheating problem or an air conditioner issue.
Like what was mentioned earlier, there is no need to flush these systems. These newer lower maintenance vehicles have newer technology built in. Flushing is not needed. Older cars, yes, I agree. Do your research and homework and you will see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
The check engine light just doesn't come on for no reason at all. If the light comes on the engine performance isn't always changed. I know I have read about the reduced power mode before.

parameters that get corrupt in the computer? This isn't a desktop .... but maybe I just don't understand what GM does ....
Of course it isn't a desktop, and if you think it can't get corrupted then you are very naive. As the say, s*** happens. If you refuse to go through all available trouble shooting steps, then you aren't doing yourself any service. It has been known ever since the computer has been used for fuel and engine management that it is never perfect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #16
brapple

Quote:
Of course it isn't a desktop, and if you think it can't get corrupted then you are very naive. As the say, s*** happens. If you refuse to go through all available trouble shooting steps, then you aren't doing yourself any service. It has been known ever since the computer has been used for fuel and engine management that it is never perfect.
Maybe its how GM sets things up then. I have never come across anyone saying that a PCM in a car can get corrupted. Yes they have failed, etc. I have heard and seen computer files getting corrupted.

And I am not talking about skipping troubleshooting steps. I just don't see why resetting the pcm is the first option to take. You could be loosing some valuable information. A CEL doesn't always just come on the next time the vehicle is started.

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Maybe its how GM sets things up then. I have never come across anyone saying that a PCM in a car can get corrupted. Yes they have failed, etc. I have heard and seen computer files getting corrupted.

And I am not talking about skipping troubleshooting steps. I just don't see why resetting the pcm is the first option to take. You could be loosing some valuable information. A CEL doesn't always just come on the next time the vehicle is started.
If the PCM throws a code, and you reset it and it doesn't come back, then this is corruption and it is like rebooting a computer.
I have said enough on this and working on computer controlled engine management, I have seen it happen alot.
It seems like you just don't believe it can happen, so I guess you have been extremely lucky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

while the ECM can throw BS codes, it's not very common, honestly. it's not a corruption, so much as it's a set of circumstances leading the ECU to believe something's wrong where it might actually be a one time hiccup in the operation of the engine. resetting the ECU is okay to do as a troubleshooting step, if you're sure nothing else is wrong (like with my sister's G6 saying the camshaft position sensor was bad, even though it drove great and didn't repeat the code after resetting it), but if you don't have a code, there was no hiccup, something's actually wrong. the first place to start on ions is cleaning, it's the one weakness, here. clean the sensors, and clean the throttlebody, check the operation of the thermostat (everyone should know how), ect... start simple, and work your way up.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #19
brapple

Quote:
If the PCM throws a code, and you reset it and it doesn't come back, then this is corruption and it is like rebooting a computer.
I have said enough on this and working on computer controlled engine management, I have seen it happen alot.
It seems like you just don't believe it can happen, so I guess you have been extremely lucky.
No, I don't believe that it couldn't happen. Just in my experience and troubleshooting I have never heard of it. On the opposite side you have, which is interesting.

I have dealt with a phantom code before. It was because the original PCM calibration had a monitor for the pre-cat set to tight from the factory. A PCM flash took care of the issue. Oh, again the phantom code, bad O2 sensors causing a pre-cat code is what I have seen. I wouldn't call it a corruption.

Could something have breifly been out of spec and caused a CEL, then was ok. That I can believe. A CEL just doesn't turn on, there is a reason for it.

I would only have the PCM reset as a last step.

So to understand, I keep getting a rear O2 sensor code on my wifes Ion for no signal from the O2 sensor. We reset the PCM and the code stays away for a few months before turning back on. Is this what you would call a corupted parameter in the PCM? The car has 150k on it, I would say the O2 sensor is about done and is becoming intermittant and causing the code. I would have changed it but I can't get the sensor free from the exhaust.

Just trying to understand here. 90% of the troubleshooting work I do is on Fords, so I am trying to understand if there is a difference to GM...

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #20
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I would say the O2 sensor or the writing is bad. No, it isn't so common for the ecu (not a pcm on an ion) to mistakenly throw a code, most times there's actually a problem. The people that just keep resetting the ecu on these cars long term are the ones that refuse to fix the problem and don't like the light to be on. When the ecu can limit available power to avoid further damage from certain problems, you don't want false codes being an issue, abr they usually aren't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!