SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
vweeden7
vweeden7 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default 2002 L200 tail lights

I just bought my daughter a 2002 L200 and have had to replace both rear tail light bulbs. Both bulds were busted and there was already glass in the tail light assembly. Is this a problem with these cars and is there a fix.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vweeden7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vweeden7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vweeden7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
sstar
sstar is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: 2002 L200 tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by vweeden7 View Post
I just bought my daughter a 2002 L200 and have had to replace both rear tail light bulbs. Both bulds were busted and there was already glass in the tail light assembly. Is this a problem with these cars and is there a fix.

Thanks
I never heard of the bulbs physically breaking. However, there was a recall for all L series up to and including 2002, for tail light problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
vweeden7
vweeden7 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstar View Post
I never heard of the bulbs physically breaking. However, there was a recall for all L series up to and including 2002, for tail light problems.
Thanks. I think the wiring harness has been replaced already the date on the part # sticker is 2005. looks like the bulb may be getting to hot. The housing it self has cracked from heat and both bulbs had a holes in them and the glass that busted was in one piece in the housing. I'm thinking about getting a LED bulb to see if this would help if it is from the heat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vweeden7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vweeden7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vweeden7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

If you look at my photo gallery it has a picture of what bulb socket looks like after the recall

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
scott13
scott13 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vweeden7 View Post
Thanks. I think the wiring harness has been replaced already the date on the part # sticker is 2005. looks like the bulb may be getting to hot. The housing it self has cracked from heat and both bulbs had a holes in them and the glass that busted was in one piece in the housing. I'm thinking about getting a LED bulb to see if this would help if it is from the heat.
This has happened to my brake bulbs too, but mostly on the driver's side. I also had the wiring harness replaced under the recall many years ago. The last bulb only lasted 3 months and the glass was cracked when I removed it. The black plastic base of the bulb was also melted under 1 contact wire. The corresponding metal contact in the socket was tarnished; probably causing too much resistance to current flow and overheating the bulb base. I took some sandpaper and folded a small strip of it around a flat-bladed screwdriver, then used it to rough-up the socket contact. Hopefully this will help prevent premature bulb failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scott13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scott13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scott13 is offline   Reply With Quote