SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
jtish
jtish is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default 02 SC2 rough idle and trouble starting

For as long as I can remember my 02 SC2 has had issues with idling properly. I have replaced everything that i can possibly think of to try and remedy this problem. I have given the car a tune up and continue to have the same problem. I also have issues starting the car only when it is warm. It will crank and crank and eventually sputter to life. The problem does not occur every single time and seems to come and go. However I have noticed it commonly occurs during the summer time when it is much warmer. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jtish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jtish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jtish is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
capricess
capricess has a spectacular aura aboutcapricess has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL
Default Re: 02 SC2 rough idle and trouble starting

is it giving any codes, it could be alot of stuff it could be the egr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to capricess's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help capricess reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
capricess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtish View Post
For as long as I can remember my 02 SC2 has had issues with idling properly. I have replaced everything that i can possibly think of ........ It will crank and crank and eventually sputter to life. The problem does not occur every single time and seems to come and go. .....
What was replaced so we don't repeat what you did?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
jtish

2002 SL2

I have replaced the fuel filter, the spark plugs, spark plug wires, the fuel pump relay, I also replaced the alternator, the crankshaft position sensor and the 02 sensor off the exhaust manifold. The car is not throwing any codes right now. Im suspecting the starter or possibly my fuel pump. The starter is original in the car and there are 96,500 miles on my SCr. I suspect it because sometimes in the winter it has a difficult time cranking the motor even though I have a brand new advanced auto gold battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jtish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A throttle body cleaning may help, using anything available to remove any gummed deposits inside and outside. A fuel pressure check may help; borrow one from Autozone if possible. As for suspecting the starter, it may be worn out if this car does many short trips using the starter more often than if used as a daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
jtish

2002 SL2

I'll start with the throttle body and check the fuel pressure. I think the throttle body sticks sometimes because sometimes it starts with kind of a high idle over 1000 rpms but other times it starts up just fine. I think the starter may be shot as well. It's may daily driver to and from many places. I'll start with the body and the fuel pressure and i'll go from there and see how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
jtish

2002 SL2

well after taking my starter apart and testing it i determined that that was not the problem however with a fuel pressure test i was able to narrow it down to the fuel pressure regulator inside of the fuel filter. I had already replaced this part but i guess it went bad. Idle is still rough though and idles a little bit high im going to try and clean out the throttle body this week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless you have numbers to go with a fuel pressure check, its guessing. I can't recall what yours should be but somewhere between 38-55psi. Its been said not to use anything but OEM fuel filters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!