SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Hagane
Hagane is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Attention 2000 SL2 with no-start situation. Need extra brains on this!!!

Hello everyone, I have been kind of lurking on these boards for the last week and now have decided to join. I'm having trouble.

I drove through a deep patch of water, only not knowing exactly how deep it could get. It died pretty much in the middle, and I pushed it out. When I attempted to lock my doors with the RKE, the motor in the drivers side door acted like it was having a fit. The engine wouldn't start after a few days of letting it dry out. So, far I have replaced the starter, which was weak anyway. Replaced the ignition control switch, because I was getting 0 volts at the solenoid/purple lead. Battery seems fine, sounds like it wants to crank, now getting volts at solenoid lead. The engine jumps when I crank it, but then stops. I can turn the crankshaft manually with a breaker bar, the oil is not runny, and there seems to be no trace of serious flooding within the engine. The RKE seems to working fine as well. I've got full instrument display, and the door chime is sounding at the appropriate times.

I've read the neutral safety switch might be to blame, but have been also told if it was faulty it wouldn't even try to crack/turn over like it does. Could my battery be showing ample charge, but not be sufficient in cranking amps? How might I check for both of these? I have some car experience, but do not have enough to tackle this. Are there any other things that I could be checking that I haven't mentioned yet? I wish I could afford to have it repaired, but I am currently on my own, with little to no help available to me. My thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hagane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hagane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 2000 SL2 with no-start situation. Need extra brains on this!!!

Pull all four spark plugs and then see if engine will turn over using the starter. Check for spark at this time also, and let us know the results. Did you turn the engine clockwise with the breaker bar?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you can, have the battery charged or get a boost from a friend or co-worker. During battery charging or before a boost, remove the ignition coils and ignition control module for a thorough cleaning to rid them of any moisture. WD-40 can help if you have this as it acts as a water displacer and treats coil wires as a protectant while leaving a light coating of oil on the metal parts to prevent corrosion.

You may have to hold the throttle wide open during starting if the engine flooded with fuel. If you are successful getting this engine running, consider the coolant sensor being faulty if its the original plastic round nosed one. Replace it with the flat nosed brass one from any auto store. The old one tends to run the engine rich and flood sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Hagane

2000 SL2

I did turn it in the clockwise direction. It's been raining too hard to pull those plugs just yet, but will do first chance I get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hagane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Hagane

2000 SL2

Well, pulled the plugs and tried to crank her over again. Nothing but water gushing out! I drained the oil out, and gave her a few intermittent cranks. I managed to catch the residual water with towels. Topped her off, cleaned the plugs, and had still had a no-start condition, but at least she was cranking over continuously. I put some starter fuel in, tried to crank it, and after a few tries, she got lean. I then started her with WOT and she turned over roughly, but got smoother in the next 10 minutes. Cases solved, just flooded the engine with water. I should have known from the way the air filter was soggy as heck. I'll never try that again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

(Hm, thought I had replied back when you opened this; maybe I fat-fingered it...) Well, you dodged two bullets. Good thing you got the water evacuated and got it to crank again, without the engine ever hydro-locking.

But your real good fortune is getting out of the water situation itself. Anytime you encounter water that deep, the only safe option is "turn around, don't drown". Even if you know the road, and think you know how deep the water is, that assumes that the road bed is still there. Any patch of water that big can quickly wash out or compromise the road underneath, and you're looking at the car getting physically stuck at best, and getting washed away with it at worst.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Hagane

2000 SL2

Oh yeah, that little puddle had me fooled most certainly. Everyone else that had passed me on the other side of the road made it through. Leave it to me to find the only hole in the road... *facepalm*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
dilldb
dilldb is on a distinguished road

May I just jump in here and ask why the road was that flooded? Seems odd since roads are not like that normally :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dilldb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dilldb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dilldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

>> " The engine jumps when I crank it, but then stops. "

This is refered to as 'hydraulically locking' the engine (the stop reflects the fact that the block is too flimsy to compress water).

Normal engines do not survive the stresses ; your weak start/charge system may have spared it .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote