SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Bear
Junior Member
Bear is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22
Default A/C problems

I replaced the compressor and the receiver/dyer (aftermarket), refilled the system and the a/c doesn't turn in. The A/C light on the dash turns on, there is power. I remember when I replaced the condenser in my other Vue there was some kind of trick to get it to turn on. Any help would be appreciated. The Vue is a 04 V6.

Last edited by Bear; 04-28-2011 at 11:01 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,954
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C problems

Although what follows doesn't prevent any compressor from running once a system is filled with R134a, was this system properly evacuated after the replacement or was this simply recharged? And how much was put in?

...
*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Bear
Junior Member
Bear is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22
Default Re: A/C problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Although what follows doesn't prevent any compressor from running once a system is filled with R134a, was this system properly evacuated after the replacement or was this simply recharged? And how much was put in?
It was evac'd completely. 16.2oz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,954
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C problems

Check the main a/c fuse then the compressor relay (for swapping if necessary). I don't think you can wire a bypass on the pressure switch connector (if that's what you're describing). All you can do is check the main fuse, relay, and measure for 12v on the compressor connector.

...
*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
TheVue
Member
TheVue is on a distinguished road
 
TheVue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Andover, MN
Posts: 97

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: A/C problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I replaced the compressor and the receiver/dyer (aftermarket), refilled the system and the a/c doesn't turn in. The A/C light on the dash turns on, there is power. I remember when I replaced the condenser in my other Vue there was some kind of trick to get it to turn on. Any help would be appreciated. The Vue is a 04 V6.
1. Was the a/c working, at least was the old compressor turning on before you changed it out?

2 When you press the a/c button on the dash, you say the little light comes on. Do the radiator fans come on? I have an 07 Vue with two fans at the radiator, does the 04 have two? Both fans come on when the a/c button is pressed on mine.

My a/c was not working recently. The light would come on when the a/c button was pressed, both radiator fans would come on but the compressor would not engage.

It turns out the 40 pin connector near the foot well on the drivers side had the problem. The purple wire on the plug came loose. After reconnecting that everything worked fine. Just a thought, check that out...... Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Bear
Junior Member
Bear is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22
Default Re: A/C problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVue View Post
1. Was the a/c working, at least was the old compressor turning on before you changed it out?

2 When you press the a/c button on the dash, you say the little light comes on. Do the radiator fans come on? I have an 07 Vue with two fans at the radiator, does the 04 have two? Both fans come on when the a/c button is pressed on mine.

My a/c was not working recently. The light would come on when the a/c button was pressed, both radiator fans would come on but the compressor would not engage.

It turns out the 40 pin connector near the foot well on the drivers side had the problem. The purple wire on the plug came loose. After reconnecting that everything worked fine. Just a thought, check that out...... Good Luck
The A/C was working, but the compressor was leaking and it was starting to take a little longer to get the car cool. Both fans do turn on. The compressor clutch doesn't spin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all
 
far2grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 6,722
 

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: A/C problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
The A/C was working, but the compressor was leaking and it was starting to take a little longer to get the car cool. Both fans do turn on. The compressor clutch doesn't spin.
Do you have an multimeter?

You could check for +12 on vehicle side of two pin connector on compressor clutch (with HVAC configured for AC operation).

If voltage is present - unplug connector from compressor, set meter for resistance - measure between two pins on compressor-clutch connector for continuity ... you'll see a few ohms if good.

If you read an open between the two pins you might have a problem with the compressor thermal protect switch (TPS). This switch is not depicted on drawings but if open - or not installed - will prevent +12 from reaching compressor clutch. Or, worse-case - the clutch winding might be open.

...
"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Bear
Junior Member
Bear is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22
Default Re: A/C problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Do you have an multimeter?

You could check for +12 on vehicle side of two pin connector on compressor clutch (with HVAC configured for AC operation).

If voltage is present - unplug connector from compressor, set meter for resistance - measure between two pins on compressor-clutch connector for continuity ... you'll see a few ohms if good.

If you read an open between the two pins you might have a problem with the compressor thermal protect switch (TPS). This switch is not depicted on drawings but if open - or not installed - will prevent +12 from reaching compressor clutch. Or, worse-case - the clutch winding might be open.
A/C is working great now. It is kind of weird though,it is working with the A/C diode out of the fuse box. With the diode in, nothing. Weird but, hey it is working. Thanks everyone for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odometer problems or other problems? wishihadacamaro S-Series General 2 09-01-2008 06:48 PM
A/C and enginge problems, it's known problems? Pega_de S-Series Tech 21 04-16-2007 08:10 AM
97 Saturn SC2 having problems, and me having problems with the mechanic... silkander S-Series General 14 07-20-2005 11:17 AM
Transmition Problems? Lower Gears giving problems Juba310 Ion General 17 11-29-2004 04:04 PM
A/C problems? preduck Ion General 9 07-12-2003 09:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.