SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
carl2004vue
carl2004vue is on a distinguished road

Dizzy hard shaking when in idle or parked

I have a 2004 Vue with 93k miles on it.. it started running a little rough so I put some fuel injector cleaner in it, had the oil changed twice in the last month, and still the shaking hasn't got any better. I'm not talking a little shake the entire car shakes like your pushing on and off the brake. It runs down the road fine but at stops I have to keep the brake pushed fully or I think it would take off.. however it doesn't I have to push on the gas to go. I thought it was a belt from the noise it makes but they all seem fine. I took it in and there were no codes at all. anyone got ideas? Mind you I have never worked on my own car but times are hard for me now so I guess I need to learn.. HELP... please help me stop this rocking for I get sea sick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carl2004vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carl2004vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carl2004vue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
carl2004vue

Default Re: hard shaking when in idle or parked

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2004vue View Post
I have a 2004 Vue with 93k miles on it.. it started running a little rough so I put some fuel injector cleaner in it, had the oil changed twice in the last month, and still the shaking hasn't got any better. I'm not talking a little shake the entire car shakes like your pushing on and off the brake. It runs down the road fine but at stops I have to keep the brake pushed fully or I think it would take off.. however it doesn't I have to push on the gas to go. I thought it was a belt from the noise it makes but they all seem fine. I took it in and there were no codes at all. anyone got ideas? Mind you I have never worked on my own car but times are hard for me now so I guess I need to learn.. HELP... please help me stop this rocking for I get sea sick.
would a motor mount cause all that. I would assume it would fuel related? No ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help carl2004vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Carl ... it appears you have auto trans, but - how many cylinders? If you say four (4), prepare yourself for some not so good news.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
carl2004vue

I have had 3 transmissions in the piece of junk already, but as I said I had it checked it was not giving any codes and it is a 4

Last edited by carl2004vue; 04-27-2011 at 09:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2004vue View Post
I have had 3 transmissions in the piece of junk already, but as I said I had it checked it was not giving any codes and it is a 4
Its important to try to determine if the engine is missing at low RPM or if the transmission is causing the shake. You mention it runs down road OK so it sounds like the engine is doing the best it can.

I'll blab on a bit and hope a member with experience with the 2.2 and VTi provide useful advice.

Does the Vue shake with trans in PARK and engine at idle?

Can you listen at exhaust pipe to see if there are frequent and regular spitting or coughing noises?

My thoughts are that the engine computer should detect and report a misfire by turning on the service engine soon light.

Its possible you have one or more bad sparkplugs, an ignition coil pack or something haywire in the fuel distribution network ... but an engine misfire should also prevail at higher RPM - I'd think.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
carl2004vue

The car does shake while in park not but not nearly as bad. I will check the tail pipe that is a great idea.. I have not checked the spark plugs and I have never changed one in my life . but I'm willing to learn ...If I had a clue how to do it I would.. maybe time for a youtude video .. While in park and running in the drive way last night, The shake wasn't so bad but there is a rattle sound kind of like a belt but they all look okay.. It is coming from the passenger side of the motor.. Also there is a squeal sound every now and then when I am backing up, but really that has always been there. At stops, I have shifting into N which makes it a tiny bit (very tiny) bit less noisy.. the RPM are in idle (1200-1400)

Last edited by carl2004vue; 04-28-2011 at 07:40 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. If you are idling at 1200 on up then you definitly have a problem. Vacuum leaks that big are pretty noticable. Listen for the hissing under the hood. Also see if brake pedal is harder then normal.

2006 Vue
2.2L Auto
92000 mls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
carl2004vue

about the RPM I stated that wrong.. I'm not over 1 about 700..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
carl2004vue

Happy Re: hard shaking when in idle or parked

spark plugs are changed but I still have the sputtering.. as far as the exhaust pipe, there really isn't any "smoke" to speak of but the tail pipe does seem to shake with the sputtering.. by the way I'm kind of proud of my self changing those plugs out.. since my real name is carly and I'm just a single mom in Indiana...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
carl2004vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger862 View Post
Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. If you are idling at 1200 on up then you definitly have a problem. Vacuum leaks that big are pretty noticable. Listen for the hissing under the hood. Also see if brake pedal is harder then normal.

2006 Vue
2.2L Auto
92000 mls.
come to think of it the brake might be little harder than normal but not enough for me even to think twice about it.. tell me more... please

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
carl2004vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger862 View Post

2006 Vue
2.2L Auto
92000 mls.
and no hissing that I can hear..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Does it feel like the car is idling really low and is stalling? Almost more like vibrating than shaking?

Or does it feel like the car is trying to lurch forward? Like when you take your foot off the brake and idle forward, does it drive smooth?

A vacuum leak would cause the brake to be very hard to push. Put your foot on the brake before a cold start, and you'll notice after you start the engine the brake pedal will "sink in" or soften up.

Also what brand of fuel injector cleaner did you use? You should go on the highway and open her up full throttle for a little bit after you put it in.

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
carl2004vue

It drives smooth but yes it feels like it is going to lunge forward, however it doesn't ... I always put my foot on the brake before starting and I always feel it "soften up" .. I have had issues with fuel injector cleaner before and I was sure it would clear up after I ran the tank of gas out of it.. but I wasn't so lucky. thank you for your imput

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Mine had a vibrating steering wheel and sounded like a miss coming from exhaust and felt like it was going to stall when stopped. I had no code for awhile then it set O2 heater malfunction code from sensor 1. Changed sensor all problems went away. I had checked everything out with a scanner including sensor and could not find anything wrong before code and after code.

PS Don't know anything about CVT athough many state that they cause vibrations before they go also.

2006 Vue
2.2L Auto
92000 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
carl2004vue

Default Re: hard shaking when in idle or parked could it be??

I had a guy look at it and he said it was the throttle body. Could it be? I got an engine light for about half a day but it left as quickly as it came.. Since I changed the plugs it is quieter but the shake is still there again only in idle. I can not hear any hissing. It sounds like I got some really bad gas but that isn't the case. In park the RPM is about 600 in idle about 700-800.. Could a throttle body cause this?

I'm going to see about recording this with sound so you all can hear it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Carly ... you did good changing those plugs - congratulations.

Did the guy spot lots of deposits in the throttle body? If yes - it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a little cleaning (parts houses will have spray cans of cleaner).

Does the Vue miss as soon as you start a cold engine? If the engine runs smoothly - until the temp gauge nears normal range - it could be the pre-cat oxygen sensor. Let us know.

You might also run engine at idle with oil dipstick removed and use a piece of paper to see if air is blowing from - or being sucked into - the dipstick hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
3RedLines
3RedLines will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Might be a weak coil pack?

If it's an oxygen sensor possibly you can check that by unplugging it and forcing the computer in open loop operation. You will get the check engine light when you do this.

Vues currently owned:
3 04 Redlines - 2 02 3.0l AWDs -03 Black 2.2l MT - 02 Parts Vue
Other cars:
01 Cadillac SLS -96 Buick Wagon -88 Pontiac Fiero 3800SC - 89 Buick Reatta

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

3RL - you affected by rising water?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #19
3RedLines
3RedLines will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

I live about 100 miles east of the MS river and about 30 miles east of the delta flat-land on a hill overlooking Grenada lake. I figure if the MS river rises another 100 ft I may have to worry, but for now everything's OK

I know Ill never get any use from the flood insurance I was forced to buy when I built my house in 1989, it would take a flood of biblical proportions to take me out.

Vues currently owned:
3 04 Redlines - 2 02 3.0l AWDs -03 Black 2.2l MT - 02 Parts Vue
Other cars:
01 Cadillac SLS -96 Buick Wagon -88 Pontiac Fiero 3800SC - 89 Buick Reatta

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
carl2004vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RedLines View Post
Might be a weak coil pack?

If it's an oxygen sensor possibly you can check that by unplugging it and forcing the computer in open loop operation. You will get the check engine light when you do this.
Okay I made a short video of the shake and rattle and throttle along with some pictures. Hopefully someone would be such a wonder person and give me some of their valuable info..

Im not sure how the video it going to work but here it goes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!