SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
everyshadeofblu
everyshadeofblu is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default My poor flooded Astra - Tampa, FL

We had a freak storm here in Tampa today and like 5 inches of rain fell in less than an hour. My poor Astra was stuck on the street and all I could do is watch while the water rose. Interior is flooded up to the lower point of the brake pedal.

Here are some pics: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...3&l=34ac96ad88

Anyone have experience with flooded cars? Will my insurance likely fix it or try to total it? It wasn't running or anything and I haven't tried to start it...having it towed to the dealer tomorrow morning per my insurance company.

I have 18" rims on my 4-door car... if it's totalled, anyone in Tampa wanna switch rims with me???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to everyshadeofblu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help everyshadeofblu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
everyshadeofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: My poor flooded Astra - Tampa, FL

Dibs on rims and grill(who doesn't need a second grill for when the first one gets stone chipped), road trip this summer would be fun

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

Last edited by nicolas_p; 04-25-2011 at 10:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

That's terrible! Why didn't you move it over on the lawn or somewhere else safe?

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
MGGDTW
MGGDTW is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Id really like to know what your insurance company decides to do with that. Thats a bummer dude.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGGDTW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGGDTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGGDTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
everyshadeofblu

2008 Astra XR

I'll let you know how it goes..... gets towed to the dealer tomorrow. I would have moved it if I knew this would be a flood of biblical proportions...have no idea this would happen.... total shock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help everyshadeofblu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

vehicle should be written off. once a car is flooded, damage is done to the wiring, switches, accessories. the interior soaks up the water and can never be dried properly nor can the smell be removed.
insist on a write-off.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I hope your car isn't written off. It would be a sad day to see another astra taken away from our little community

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
nicolas_p

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Well I figure I would repost the great news. Only 4500$ in damages and the car will be back on the road soon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

bro, your insurance should cover that, you had no control over that. i hydrolocked my motor 2yrs ago and they claimed it under and Act of God(due to mother nature). so you should get it fixed no problems. does it start and run? cause if it wasnt running then you should be ok.

And im surprised you got water in your car as well. i had water just as high as yours and never got a drop inside.

Good luck though.

Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lunchbox1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
MGGDTW
MGGDTW is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

They should at least gut the interior to the water line, replace the carpet including the wiring connectors and anything else that got wet. It will also need to be completely sanitized with bleach or equilvelent and completely dried out before anything new can be installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGGDTW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGGDTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGGDTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
everyshadeofblu

2008 Astra XR

Had the car towed to the dealer's body shop this morning and they started working on it immediately. An adjuster from Allstate just happened to walk in at the same time so he wrote everything up right away.

Engine is fine but they are draining the oil and tranny fluid just in case. They have the interior gutted already and are replacing a lot of electronic components like airbag ECM, seat belts (the lower part it buckles into), speakers, and anything else touched by water. I have leather seats and they are removing the covers and cleaning underneath.

Total damage is about $4,500 but at least it's not a total loss! I must say I was really impressed with the dealership and Allstate as they jumped on it right away. It was being worked on before I even left.

Now I have a Versa hatchback for 2 weeks - amazing how similar it looks like the Astra but beyond that it's totally different - altho not bad if I wanted cheap transport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
bone151
bone151 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

the repair shop may find additional damage while doing work. i suggest you confirm that the title will not be marked as a flood vehicle. you may also want to plan on keeping it for a while if the insurance company reports flood damage to whatever databases are used by carfax - it might turn off a lot of buyers, beyond the (hidden) saturn name, and what-the-hell-is-an-astra.

good luck. it sucks to have to deal with this.

btw. it looks great with the 18" wheels. I may have to make a similar purchase.

good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bone151's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bone151 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bone151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I couldn't believe the pics when I saw them and was about to say sorry that such a nice car was lost. But I am happy to read that they will be able to repair the damages. That's awesome news! Be sure to take some after pics, you have a nice ride.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
hzl6cm
hzl6cm is on a distinguished road

Glad they are fixing it for you. I've got those rims on my 3-door and love how they look, probably my favorite factory rims of any that I have seen. I was pleasently supprised when I got the car (which CarMax hauled up from Tulsa) how well they looked, as I guess the only optional rims I had seen before were on a 5-dor and I hadn't realized how much better these looked until I saw them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hzl6cm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hzl6cm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hzl6cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

glad you are happy. I would trade the car in ASAP if I was you. The unseen damage will rear its ugly head in a few years when an impossible to diagnose electrical glitch shows up.

I suggest you talk to the sales department of the dealership it is at and see what you will get on a trade. if they say anything about the water and value, go bat****.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #16
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGDTW View Post
They should at least gut the interior to the water line, replace the carpet including the wiring connectors and anything else that got wet. It will also need to be completely sanitized with bleach or equilvelent and completely dried out before anything new can be installed.
I agree. The good thing is that the water level only rose that high, and that it was (mostly) rain water and not salt water. Most of the expensive electrical components would be located up higher and remain dry, but OEM carpeting and interior stuff is never cheap.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Welcome to FL

This happens frequently, there were a few times where we would have 6 inches of standing water flood our street when I was a kid, complete with fish and tadpoles swimming around. This is one of the reasons many people chose trucks and SUVs down here, the extra ground clearance means you can get around when there's huge amounts of water on the ground, and lets you get over down branches and trees and such after hurricanes.

I'm with the others, I'd have them total the car out if possible, especially if they're gonna mark it as a flood damaged car. Flood cars are essentially rebuilt cars in FL, and are essentially worthless. If you keep it, you WILL have problems, and you WILL get virtually nothing for it when you trade it in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Welcome to FL

This happens frequently, there were a few times where we would have 6 inches of standing water flood our street when I was a kid, complete with fish and tadpoles swimming around. This is one of the reasons many people chose trucks and SUVs down here, the extra ground clearance means you can get around when there's huge amounts of water on the ground, and lets you get over down branches and trees and such after hurricanes.

I'm with the others, I'd have them total the car out if possible, especially if they're gonna mark it as a flood damaged car. Flood cars are essentially rebuilt cars in FL, and are essentially worthless. If you keep it, you WILL have problems, and you WILL get virtually nothing for it when you trade it in.
Houston Texas is the same way, if it rains for 2-3 days straight our streets flood like its no tomorrow. Ive already Hydro-locked my motor 2yrs ago from the high water along the feeder-roads along the interstate here and it will not happen again.

Good luck getting everything fixed.

Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lunchbox1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote