SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
RGZ
RGZ is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default 91 SC A/C Freon

I want to charge my A/C but don't know what kinda Freon to use and how much to use?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RGZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RGZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 91 SC A/C Freon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGZ View Post
I want to charge my A/C but don't know what kinda Freon to use and how much to use?
If it has not been converted it used R-12 and if converted R-134a. There should be a conversion label or you can tell by the charging connections.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The original freon used in '91 was R12 that's no longer used. Change occurred around '94 to R134a and conversions were available to switch over; some oil was injected to allow R12 oil work with R134a, two new R134a service valves are installed so only R134a can be injected. The way to tell is to examine the two fittings; old R12 are externally threaded and these threads are visible, R134a have no threads and use a quick coupler similar to air tools using quick connects. R12 fittings are the same whether on the high side or low side. R134a have two different sized fittings to prevent accidents from anyone trying to feed R134a into the high side. Operating pressures on the high side can exceed 250psi and easily cause an explosion hazard to anyone foolish enough to try the wrong coupling. Industry design prevents this from occurring.

It may be wiser to find the source of the leak before trying to refill a system that may be leaking. Like a slow leak in a tire, refilling a leaking system is just a band aid and not a repair. Perhaps you need to know the basics; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80107

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Yes, the early model Saturns used R12 and then the conversion over to R134a happened in the mid 1994 model year.

If I remember- I believe that if you still wanted to get R-12 before it was discontinued; you had to have a repair shop do the fix because of federal regulations. I don't know what it is now for R-134a... but as FDryer mentions; its better to have system checked over rather then just throwing cans of Freon at the car...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote