SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
seeairuh
seeairuh is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Vue Fuel Filter & Sluggish

Okay, I have a friend with a 2004 2.2L 2WD Vue that is being sluggish. It doesn't have get up and go, it kind of sputters. He couldn't locate the fuel filter to change it either. We've heard numerous places that it may be. His birthday is this week so I'm hoping that for his birthday I can fix it for him. I was wondering first off if anyone can let me know where exactly the fuel filter is. and if anyone else has had this problem incase the fuel filter doesn't fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seeairuh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seeairuh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seeairuh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2004 Vue Fuel Filter & Sluggish

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeairuh View Post
Okay, I have a friend with a 2004 2.2L 2WD Vue that is being sluggish. It doesn't have get up and go, it kind of sputters. He couldn't locate the fuel filter to change it either. We've heard numerous places that it may be. His birthday is this week so I'm hoping that for his birthday I can fix it for him. I was wondering first off if anyone can let me know where exactly the fuel filter is. and if anyone else has had this problem incase the fuel filter doesn't fix it.
I'd like to have a friend like you ... because the filter is in the fuel tank ... and you don't want to drop that sucker unless you know for sure there is a fuel fuel pump or filter problem.

To make sure fuel is not an issue - see if you can borrow a fuel pressure tester from one of the local auto parts stores. Most testers have adapters for attachment to fuel rail.

Is the sputter present at all times (engine hot and cold)? Any activity with the service engine soon light? I recall more than one 2.2L sputtering due to HO2S sensor ... this would be the pre-cat sensor and would cause misfire when the engine is at operating temp.

On the other hand - it could be plugs or wires - coil packs - etc.

Perhaps you could expand on when the sluggish / sputter condition prevails.

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

The vehicle feels sluggish because it has a very small underpowered 4-banger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
seeairuh
seeairuh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I'd like to have a friend like you ... because the filter is in the fuel tank ... and you don't want to drop that sucker unless you know for sure there is a fuel fuel pump or filter problem.

To make sure fuel is not an issue - see if you can borrow a fuel pressure tester from one of the local auto parts stores. Most testers have adapters for attachment to fuel rail.

Is the sputter present at all times (engine hot and cold)? Any activity with the service engine soon light? I recall more than one 2.2L sputtering due to HO2S sensor ... this would be the pre-cat sensor and would cause misfire when the engine is at operating temp.

On the other hand - it could be plugs or wires - coil packs - etc.

Perhaps you could expand on when the sluggish / sputter condition prevails.
it does the sluggish-ness/sputtering at all times. Mainly at Highway speeds. He'll have the pedal to the floor and get nothing. it will maintain at like 50mph.
The check engine light has been on & when the codes were checked it showed no codes, which was weird.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seeairuh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seeairuh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seeairuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
it does the sluggish-ness/sputtering at all times. Mainly at Highway speeds. He'll have the pedal to the floor and get nothing. it will maintain at like 50mph.
The check engine light has been on & when the codes were checked it showed no codes, which was weird.
If you know the plugs and fuel supply are good - and want to experiment - locate the upstream O2 sensor - this is the sensor before the catalytic converter.

Follow sensor wiring harness back to a connector - which you can disconnect. Drive the Vue and check for performance difference. If all is well you can replace the O2 sensor - if no performance change - reconnect the sensor and repost.

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
bk63
Advanced Member
bk63 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I could not read the code on my 04 either with my scan tool that I have used for lots of other cars. Something to do with the VUE. I have to find a code reader that reads it's codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Firechicken
Firechicken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
did you ever figure out what the problem was? my vue is doing the exact same thing. ppl on here are telling me its the trans, but not sure if their right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firechicken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firechicken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

Is the check engine light on, or is it flashing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
mrskinny
mrskinny is on a distinguished road

having the same issues with mine, high rpms no power and sputtering of engine... i have a 2.2 manual and changed both o2 sensors very recently. changed plugs and boots also. what was the cause of your problems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrskinny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrskinny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
mrskinny
mrskinny is on a distinguished road

im having the exact same issues with mine... 2.2l manual.... help?? lol i need to get to work this week!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrskinny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrskinny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
vasy
vasy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2007 VUE Green Line

Do a search on fuel filter replacement instructions.
I've posted them a few days ago.
2002-2004 2.2l for sure have it external, I've not check my 2005 yet but it is listed for it.
Here is the filter link.
Good luck changing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
vasy
vasy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2007 VUE Green Line

I can't attach files over 150kb, instructions are 550kb
Here is a text with no picture.

Fuel Filter Replacement (Feed)
Removal Procedure
Caution: Ensure that the vehicle is properly supported and squarely positioned. To help avoid personal injury when a vehicle is on a hoist, provide additional support for the vehicle on the opposite end from which the components are being removed.
1. Position the vehicle on a hoist.
Caution: Do not allow smoking or the use of open flames in the area where work on the fuel or EVAP system is taking place. Anytime work is being done on the fuel system, disconnect the negative battery cable, except for those tests where battery voltage is required.
2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief .
Caution: Fuel supply lines will remain pressurized for long periods of time after the engine is shutdown. This pressure must be relieved before servicing the fuel system.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable. 4. Raise the vehicle on the hoist.

Important: The fuel filter is located on the left side of the fuel tank.
5. Remove the fuel filter bracket screw.

Caution: Whenever fuel line fittings are loosened or removed, wrap a shop cloth around the fitting and have an approved container available to collect any fuel.
Caution: Whenever fuel lines are removed, catch fuel in an approved container. Container opening must be a minimum of 300 mm (12 in) diameter to adequately catch the fluid.
6. Disconnect the fuel inlet line and return line from the fuel filter.
7. Disconnect the fuel feed line from the fuel filter. 8. Remove the filter from the bracket.

1. Slide the fuel filter into the bracket.
Notice: Replace plastic fuel line retainers whenever the fuel supply or return line is disconnected at the fuel rail. Install the new retainer into the female cavity of the connection. Care must be taken to ensure that the locking tab is centered in the window of the female cavity. Firmly press the female connection onto the male end until a click is heard, then pull back to confirm engagement. Pinched, kinked, or damaged fuel lines must be replaced.
2. Install the new fuel line retainer into the female portion of the quick connect chassis fuel line fitting.
Important: Lubricate the male ends of the filter with clean engine oil to ease installation and SNAP closed.
3. Connect the chassis fuel feed line to the fuel filter outlet. 4. Connect the fuel inlet line to fuel filter, 3/8 in. connection, and lock retainer.

5. Connect the fuel return line to the fuel filter, 5/16 in. connection, and lock retainer.
6. Install the filter bracket attachment screw.
Tighten Tighten the fuel filter bracket bolt to 2 Nm (18 lb in).
7. Lower the vehicle from the hoist. 8. Connect the negative battery cable.
Tighten Tighten the battery terminal bolt to 17 Nm (13 lb ft).
9. Prime the fuel system
10. Run the engine and check the system for leaks.
9.1. Cycle the ignition ON for 5 seconds and then OFF for 10 seconds.
9.2. Repeat the previous step twice.
9.3. Crank the engine until it starts. The maximum starter motor cranking time is 20 seconds.
9.4. If the engine does not start, repeat steps 9.1-9.3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote