SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Stumpx2
Stumpx2 is on a distinguished road

Default Driveshaft center support bearing repair

So bought my 2004 6cyl AWD vue and they said it needed new rear brakes to fix the vibration problems. So I jack it up today and install new shoes and hardware kit and just take a look around. Then I notice the Driveshaft center support bearing is completely shot and barely hanging on to my driveshaft. I went ahead and ordered a new one from oreillys and started to do a little more research. I have a basic understanding that I need to take off certain bolts on the drive shaft and tap with a hammer until it is off my car then slide the other end out from the transmission. But from there I am lost entirely. I'm not really understanding the other threads posted about this topic. Also do I need to buy a new Ujoint as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stumpx2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stumpx2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stumpx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Driveshaft center support bearing repair

There's a preferred sequence for removing the drive-shaft and you may have to have the old bearing "pressed" off the shaft by a machine shop.

This is not to scare you away from the task - in fact - I can email several service manual extracts to remove, repair and reinstall the drive-shaft.

If interested ... click on my screen-name and send a private message with your email address.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Stumpx2
Stumpx2 is on a distinguished road

pm'd hope I can get this done Thursday between classes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stumpx2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stumpx2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stumpx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpx2 View Post
pm'd hope I can get this done Thursday between classes.
I emailed the extracts ... keep in mind its OK to drive the Vue with the shaft out. So, once you get it out you can take your time repairing or replacing parts.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Just a thought (and I swear this is not a smart-aleck response)-take the driveshaft out and toss it away. The all-wheel-drive setup on this is the next thing to useless, and you will save a bit on weight and drag. This will fix your vibration, help your fuel economy and save you a serious PITA of a job replacing that center support.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNut View Post
Just a thought (and I swear this is not a smart-aleck response)-take the driveshaft out and toss it away. The all-wheel-drive setup on this is the next thing to useless, and you will save a bit on weight and drag. This will fix your vibration, help your fuel economy and save you a serious PITA of a job replacing that center support.
MoparNut ... I can't change your opinion but for sake of others who might be considering a AWD Vue ... I totally disagree with your comments.

I have a 2005 Vue with AWD - its the ninth in a series of AWD and 4X4 equipped vehicles (including four Subie's and two Jeeps) and its does exactly as advertised.

I live in a land of frequent ice and snow-packed streets and driveway and each and every time the front wheels slip - on inclines or while moving away from a standstill - the rear tires engage to get me moving.

Its not the end-all / be-all for off-roading but is perfectly satisfactory for keeping me moving around town when others are not.

Any vehicle is about compromise and I'm more than willing to give up a slight MPG loss for benefits gained.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
HerBabyTruck
HerBabyTruck is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
MoparNut ... I can't change your opinion but for sake of others who might be considering a AWD Vue ... I totally disagree with your comments.

I have a 2005 Vue with AWD - its the ninth in a series of AWD and 4X4 equipped vehicles (including four Subie's and two Jeeps) and its does exactly as advertised.

I live in a land of frequent ice and snow-packed streets and driveway and each and every time the front wheels slip - on inclines or while moving away from a standstill - the rear tires engage to get me moving.

Its not the end-all / be-all for off-roading but is perfectly satisfactory for keeping me moving around town when others are not.

Any vehicle is about compromise and I'm more than willing to give up a slight MPG loss for benefits gained.
I totally agree. I have three 4 wheel drives currently plus the AWD Vue & it does do very well in bad weather conditions on the road. If I want to go off-road in the nasty stuff I will obviously take one of the trucks or the Willys for the trails, rocks and mud!

HerBigTruck = SILVERADO HD K2500 8.1 Allison

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HerBabyTruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HerBabyTruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HerBabyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Well, I guess we have had different experiences, and that's cool. I respect different opinions, and I am glad that your VUEs have worked well for you. If I may make a suggestion, though: when the weather turns to snow again this coming winter take an '08 or newer VUE (or equivalent brand-new Equinox, etc.) out for a test drive on a slippery surface, then compare it to your 1st-gen VUE. I think you will be surprised at how much better the newer setup works...night and day improvement.

As for the OP, I'm just suggesting a way to save hime time and money, but only if it would be an acceptable solution to him (perhaps even short-term, like you posted-could take it out temporarily whilst getting the tiime/parts/cash/know-how needed to fix it )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
tomrab
tomrab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
if you take the drive shaft out wont it leak tranny fluied please reply thanks tomrabideau@sbcglobal.net

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomrab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomrab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrab View Post
if you take the drive shaft out wont it leak tranny fluied please reply thanks tomrabideau@sbcglobal.net
Tom ... disconnect the drive-shaft per attachment in post # 2 of following thread to keep fluids on both ends safe and sound:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162346

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Just removed my driveshaft today. Thanks everyone especially F2G for the guidance. It was relatively easy, although took me a lot longer than I had hoped due to the low clearances without a lift.

My support bearing is almost completely shot. One whole side of the rubber was gone and the other half was half way torn. Needless to say it was time for it to come off for repairs. Hopefully the next one lasts longer.

Now I just got to find a somewhat economical way to get a new bearing and have it installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
petergriffen
petergriffen is on a distinguished road

Did you ever get the bearing pressed on? How'd that go? Cost you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to petergriffen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help petergriffen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
petergriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
I must disagree with you. I need my AWD to get home on snowy days. My FWD vehicles just can't do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
newbievueowner
Advanced Member
newbievueowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

Based on my experinces with this aspect of the Vue this is what I will tell you:

a) it is relatively easy to remove the driveshaft itself from the vehicle.
b) removing the center yoke is a completely different matter! If it's a 2004 and seen any salt roads this will be an absolute bear and you will need a special pressing plate and a 20-30 ton I beam press.
c) putting it all back together will be much easier because everything will get cleaned.
d) while the AWD kind of sucks the hind tit, it still does work better than just a FWD vehicle but not as good as a 4x4 that's for sure.

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
petergriffen
petergriffen is on a distinguished road

I cant just hammer it off? If I'm careful not to hit the driveshaft?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to petergriffen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help petergriffen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
petergriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
newbievueowner
Advanced Member
newbievueowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

Not a chance unless you possibly live in Florida.

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote