SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
nam11b
nam11b is on a distinguished road

Default Starting issues

Hey everyone, my first post here and of course I have a problem. My wife has a 2004 Saturn Ion 2 that is randomly having starting issues. Twice in the last 6 weeks, we drove somewhere, stopped for a few minutes, left the vehicle and when we returned, the car would crank briefly and die (feels like one revolution). The most recent time, the car took about 20 attempts to start and twice during those attempts it would start briefly and then die. Every time, all the accesories would come on and the key would have to be removed completely before another attempt could be made. If the key was immediately turned after the "no start", the service engine message would be displayed.

I know there is a lot of ignition problems out there, but all the ignition switch issues I have read about said that the engine would not crank at all. I have already checked the battery and fuel pressure. Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nam11b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nam11b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nam11b is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Starting issues

ignition switch.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
saturnptsguy
saturnptsguy is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Replace the ignition switch. That switch is not recognizing your key so it won't start the car because it thinks your stealing it. Replace the ignition switch and you should be fine.

Saturn Parts Guy

2001 Saturn SC2 Yellow Special Edition
107K and still going strong...

"I say, I say, I say Saturn" R.I.P. 1985-2010

Email me at jduffy@sunnysideauto.com for Saturn parts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnptsguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnptsguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnptsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
c5_droptop
c5_droptop is on a distinguished road

Just curious as to whether this fixed the issue?

I have had a similar, intermittent problem. Will turn over, seem it is going to run and die. Come back a little later and it runs like a top.

I tried replacing the ECTS thinking that the computer may be getting bum info and thinking that the engine is in an overtemp condition.

The ignition is an interesting thought, but I wouldn't think that it would get to the point that it would turn and just die. Guess it is worth a try though.

Thanks,
Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to c5_droptop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help c5_droptop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
c5_droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5_droptop View Post
Just curious as to whether this fixed the issue?

I have had a similar, intermittent problem. Will turn over, seem it is going to run and die. Come back a little later and it runs like a top.

I tried replacing the ECTS thinking that the computer may be getting bum info and thinking that the engine is in an overtemp condition.

The ignition is an interesting thought, but I wouldn't think that it would get to the point that it would turn and just die. Guess it is worth a try though.

Thanks,
Dave
This is the ignition cylinder issue. Replace it. Make sure it is replaced with a new unit. New as in new design, not the same as the original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote