SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did You Buy Your Current Saturn New or Used?
New 67 57.26%
Used 50 42.74%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #81
ionkate
ionkate is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Did You Buy Your Current Saturn New or Used?

03 ION, brand new, off the showroom floor August of 03

Actually, all of our cars we got new. My first car was new when my parents bought it, 97 Nissan Maxima. Great car, loved it. RIP. They now have an 01 Lexus RX300 that they bought new, and are thinking about getting a new Acura MDX. The bf just went from a new 04 Silverado V6 single cab to a new 05 Silverado V8 ext. cab. (Don't ask me about that one, it's what he wanted)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ionkate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ionkate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2005, 02:37 PM   #82
SaturnVLN
SaturnVLN is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
1997 SL2

Both our 1997 SL1 and 2001 SL2 have been pre-owned (used). The SL2 was certified.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVLN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVLN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #83
pawils3
pawils3 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
1995 SL2

My first '95 SL2 was actually ordered in Oct. '04. My teenage daugher is currently beating it up. I bought a used (11,970 miles) '04 VUE and had nothing but trouble. Saturn bought it back and now I'm in a '05 VUE. I got it last Wednesday and already has 300 miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pawils3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pawils3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 PM   #84
FL ION BY
FL ION BY is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

New, just about two weeks ago.

Previous Saturn cars: 1993 SL2 Blue/Green, 1999 SC1 2-Door Dark Blue, 2003 ION3 Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL ION BY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL ION BY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:53 AM   #85
Reinthaler
Reinthaler is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

I bought mine new with 7 miles. It was my first new car and people tried to tell me how they depreciate as soon as you drive away but I wanted a new one. I checked the blue book a year ago and it was worth less than half of what I bought it for and its a 2001. I do love that car though, wouldn't have anything else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Reinthaler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Reinthaler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:25 PM   #86
Old Bob
Old Bob is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

Used, from a private party.

"I pity the fool."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #87
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Bought it used...from an auction....couldnt be happier

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #88
patcal
patcal is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Used.

Pat Callaghan
Portland, Or.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patcal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patcal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #89
2001L300
2001L300 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Bought it used from a used-car dealer who got it from a Ford dealer who got it from the previous owner. So...........not certified, but absolutely gorgeous: black on black leather.

2001 L300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2001L300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2001L300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #90
jzatofl
jzatofl is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

My 1998 SC2 had 93,000 miles on it when I bought it last month from a dealer in Brandon, Fl. It was a Kia dealer, so not certified. I love this car, I leave my 2004 Rodeo in the garage and now rarely drive it at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jzatofl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jzatofl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #91
saturnowner2001
saturnowner2001 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

L200 2001-Bought USED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnowner2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnowner2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #92
ddennis2
ddennis2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Thumbs Down Re: Did You Buy Your Current Saturn New or Used?

Bought our 1997 SL2 used last November, 42K on the clock, from a dealer, although car not "certified".

Since we have owned it computer (fried)has been replaced, fuel pump (may or may not have been bad, based upon codes taken from bad computer)been replaced, radio (audio output blown)has been replaced, oil pan gasket replaced, drivers side window won't roll down now and turn signals have quit working, as have hazard lights

Were I to certify it, I would classify it as a lemon.at worst, rolling piece of junk at best, although I have an alternative spelling for "junk".

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddennis2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddennis2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #93
Rancid13
Rancid13 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Both of my 1996 SC2's were bought used.

The first was purchased at Saturn of Huntington Beach in June 1996 and totalled about 5 months later in a not-at-fault collision. The second was purchased in December 1996 near San Jose from a private party who had inherited the car from her brother who had passed away.

Jennifer
1996 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rancid13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rancid13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #94
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

mine was slightly used ( &certified )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:14 AM   #95
paxman356
paxman356 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
2001 SW2

Both Saturns I have owned, 1992 SL and SL2, were for lack of a stronger word, used. The SL was my brother's, and needed repair to fix bad sensors (it was getting 20MPG, got up to 40 before we got rid of it.. My current one is much better, it has scratches, and smokes a lot of oil, but gets 32MPG (auto). I got both for around $2000 each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paxman356's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paxman356 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #96
cherylt
cherylt is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Mine was used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cherylt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cherylt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:17 AM   #97
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Thats Funny,

I just had a conversation with a friend of mine that involved buying a car used or certifide.

The word "Certifide" in the used car world, is just a Bullcrap word that somebody made up to get people to buy dealership used cars rather than private owner used cars.

In my circle of friends we all agree with the fact that when buying a used car, a person should use caution when buying from a private owner and also a dealership. A person should probably use more caution when buying from a dealership for various reasons. The dealership really has no idea who owned the car, and they can't really tell you if that person changed the oil every 3,000 miles or every 30,000 miles.
When buying from a private owner a person can use their own intuition when asking the owner questions on how they maintained the car. A person can ask the private owner for receipts of repair work done. It makes more sense buying from a private owner also because a buyer is going to pay what the car is worth, rather than a buyer usually paying more than what the car is worth at a dealership.
Just because the dealership can say that their used cars are "Certifide". They tack money onto the price because they think they can fool the public into thinking that their used cars are much better than the private owners cars.

Personally I buy from whoever has the best deal I can find. Whether it's from a dealership or a private owner. Mostly because cars are the worst investment a person can make.
My most recent Saturn purcahse was my 94 SW2. I only paid $500 at a dealership and it was'nt certified...lol.
I rebuilt the engine, put a newer transmission on it, rebuilt the suspension etc. etc. Basically I rebuilt the car entirely inside and out. I have about $4000 into it and it only took me about a year to do the bulk of the work.
I know the blue book value on my car is only $1900 if I was to sell it. But I put that much money into it with the intentions that this will be my car for the next 10 years.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #98
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Used.. could be alot happier...

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #99
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Used, as a "Mechanic's Special" in an eBay auction by an auto wholesaler where it had been sitting for about a year.

Got it whipped into shape quite economically with information from this forum. If I had to pay someone else to do the work, the cost of repairs would have been hideous.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #100
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

95 SL1 5m bought used [ May 2004, 116,000 miles] from an independent lot in No. Hollywood 2 days after having ridden in my brother's 95 SL1 [which he bought used] in Salt Lake City.
After my first brand new car was trashed [a 99 Cavalier 2 door], the 95 was used for several months until I went in to just "look" and take a test drive in a 2005 ION. Turned out to be my 2nd brand new car ever. Will probably be my last.
Plan was to drive the Cavalier till the wheels fell off, use the 95 to take up any slack and have inexpensive transportation for years to come. Now the ION is part of my long term transportation planning. I like it's looks more with every month that passes
If Saturn offers up any flex fuel/ "Green Line" types of small sedans, I might be persuaded to trade, but... I just scored the whole "blue bubble" trim rail and interior dress up package....... why would I ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread