SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
cghcarlos
cghcarlos is on a distinguished road

Default "Official" Security Light Passlock Fix

I've been looking all over these forums to get the fix for the security light problem that is so common. My 2003 l200 security light comes on, car cranks but won't start, have to wait about five minutes for light to disappear, then it will turn on. This happens randomly, when I least expect it. I've read I should replace the key, replace ignition cylinder, replace ignition switch, or maybe even install a bypass kit. What should I do? If I replace the ignition cylinder, should I replace the switch too? Has anyone installed a PLJX bypass kit on a 2003 l200? What is the fix for this common problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cghcarlos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cghcarlos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cghcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
bajaman73
bajaman73 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: "Official" Security Light Passlock Fix

I was hoping this was solved. My alarm goes off randomly and while driving, security light will come on, guages quit working for a sec. When light goes out all my guages work normally again. Any ideas on how to disable security system)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bajaman73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bajaman73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bajaman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There is one easy try; Passlock relearn requiring cycling the ignition ON for 10 minutes, three times until the security light changes state then trying a start the fourth time. Search for the procedures. This resets the theft deterrent system otherwise this may be the beginnings of body control module (BCM) failure. Bcm failure would mean replacement by GM for new ones or buying used ones online. Used ones retain mileage from the donor car and cannot be changed. There are threads about bcm failures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
711snopro
711snopro is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1996 SL1

I utilized the "Pro Bypass Kit" from New Rockies. Before installing there was a 50/50 chance of starting (bought in this state). Since installing about 1000 miles ago the car has started everytime without fail. Fairly easy install. Lots of feedback/questions/answers posted on there site. So far I have been very pleased.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 711snopro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 711snopro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
711snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
alinta1970
alinta1970 is on a distinguished road

fdryer.... this might sound like a stupid question but when you say the ignition needs to be in the "on" position for 10 mins 3 times total of 30 mins so do I turn the key to ACC or Run or do I start the car? Just making sure that I am doing this correctly and crossing fingers that this works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alinta1970's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alinta1970 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alinta1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Find the exact instructions as reprinted from the service manual as some state turning the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position and then briefly turn the key to the START position (then release the key to return back to ON/RUN) but not long enough to actually have the starter start the engine while another states only to turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position.

The ignition switch has four positions; OFF(1), ACCessory(2), ON/RUN(3), and START(4). Ignition ON always means the 3rd position; power is supplied to the EFI system for the bells and whistles you hear/see just before starting the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote