SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Joshtheclockman
Joshtheclockman is on a distinguished road

1994 SL
Default 20w50 oil?

I couldn't find anything on the subject before so i decided to ask. Would it be a good idea to put 20W50 oil in my Saturn during the summer? I too have the magically disappearing oil problem but it seems to be worse during the summer when we will get the 90+ degree weather everyday, and its been recommended to me to use 20W50 instead of the 10w40 iv been using...

1994 sl 5spd 171,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joshtheclockman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joshtheclockman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joshtheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2
Default Re: 20w50 oil?

The general consensus is no. Despite the increase in oil pressure, the flow rate (especially through the oil filter) will be killed. Even when the engine gets hot. You are also going to be paying for it in gas (reduce fuel economy).

Don't be discouraged though, there are a small number of ways to reduce oil consumption inexpensively. Perhaps do a search for "MMO soak" or "MMO treatment".

What is your Saturn's oil economy?
Canada Saturn owners REVOLT!!! Improper factory spark plugs! c.c
If you are in the Southern Wisconsin area, check out: facebook.com/SaturnFix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnFix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
BV22
BV22 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1

I tried 20W-50 once for one oil change cycle. It made no difference in the oil consumption. +1 on the MMO soak - it only costs a few dollars and might help some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnFix View Post
The general consensus is no. Despite the increase in oil pressure, the flow rate (especially through the oil filter) will be killed. Even when the engine gets hot. You are also going to be paying for it in gas (reduce fuel economy).

Don't be discouraged though, there are a small number of ways to reduce oil consumption inexpensively. Perhaps do a search for "MMO soak" or "MMO treatment".
hate to say this, but +1 to this guy...

especially in the winter time when you use 20w-30 and it'll be so thick you'll wear down your engine quicker due to the heavier weight..

oh yeah, seafoam is fine too when it comes to soaks/treatment; don't be discouraged though if it doesn't help or makes it worse, as it's a hit or miss thing really.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshtheclockman View Post
I couldn't find anything on the subject before so i decided to ask. Would it be a good idea to put 20W50 oil in my Saturn during the summer? I too have the magically disappearing oil problem but it seems to be worse during the summer when we will get the 90+ degree weather everyday, and its been recommended to me to use 20W50 instead of the 10w40 iv been using...

1994 sl 5spd 171,000
As has been said by others, the 20w-50 is far outside of the desired band at any temperature, don't try it. You will have better luck using a name brand 5w-40 instead of the 10w-40 also. It is a good idea to clean the cam cover to head joint area with clean rags and brake cleaner until it is completely clean and the start the engine and allow it to sit and idle until it has reached normal operating temperature. Then turn it off and allow it to cool slightly. Then take a folded up pad of toilet paper and gently wipe small sections of the cam cover/head joint area and check the paper for fresh oil. You can not see an oil leak by just looking. The paper will make it stand out so you can see it. The amount of oil that can leak out of a cam cover is considerably more than you would believe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is on a distinguished road

I have started using 5W-50 (Castrol full synthetic), I had been using 10w-30 but after doing the MMO soak a couple of times along with the fixed orfice PCV, my oil consumption has gone down considerably.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Joshtheclockman

1994 SL

So it sounds like 20w50 isn't such a great idea, so i won't even mess with it.

Thanks to everyone who posted

MMO soak sounds like fun, trying to confirm that I wont do any more harm to it than there already is

I have no idea how quickly the car goes through oil either, so i' got to figure that out too, i check it before i use the car mainly everyday but never really kept track of mileage.

Is there an alternative to actually putting the mmo in the spark plug holes and waiting for 8 hours? I really don't want to be stuck without a car for that long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Joshtheclockman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

First thing to do is check for leaks and correct them and then figure out exactly how much oil you are using with the brand of oil you want to start using. My guess is you are leaking as much as you are burning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Is there an alternative to actually putting the mmo in the spark plug holes and waiting for 8 hours? I really don't want to be stuck without a car for that long.
The alternative is to use a harsher, overpriced GM brand cleaner for 2-4 (?) hours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
next time you plan on chainging the oil, go home, remove the spark plugs with the engine warm before going to bed and pour in your MMO and cover the holes. Roatate it a couple of times by hand and go to bed.

Next morning, pull the PCM-B fuse, crank it a few times to expel remaining MMO, repalce the plugs and fuse and fire it up, then change your oil. You are only without the car the amount of time it takes to replace the plugs in the morning

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 162k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Joshtheclockman

1994 SL

Very nice, I should've thought of that! i will try doing that when i change my oil here in a couple days. The mmo soak cant hurt anything can it?

....To my knowledge I have no more oil leaks but i could be wrong, i replaced the valve cover gasket, maybe in the fall of last year, that defiantly helped a lot. But I will check again here again come the weekend.

Thank you all so much for all the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

and also when doing the mmo soak i never like to put plugs back into a warm engine even a turn or two so i just put the plug boots back into the holes to cover them up just my 2 cents.

i've also been using the 10w-40 full syn rotella and it seems to be working out nicely as far as oil consumption and no lifter noise on start up. But it does not get that cold here in ca where i live and summer is a coming 100+ .

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
Great Cars
Great Cars is on a distinguished road

Just a note about removing plugs from a hot engine. DON"T
The operative word is Warm, and even then you run risks of head gasket problems, warped heads, and warped spark plug holes.

Any good mechanic will always wait for the engine to cool down before removing a spark plug from any engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Great Cars's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Great Cars reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Great Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Joshtheclockman

1994 SL

I wouldn't ever work on a hot engine even on a bet just because being burnt really doesn't sound like a fun thing to do. Since the spark plugs happen to be just above the exhaust i wont mess with them for at least 45 mins after the car has been driven. But it tis good information to know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
I wouldn't ever work on a hot engine even on a bet just because being burnt really doesn't sound like a fun thing to do. Since the spark plugs happen to be just above the exhaust i wont mess with them for at least 45 mins after the car has been driven. But it tis good information to know.
I'd give it at least an hour and a half to two hours before R&R'ing the spark plugs. Bonus points if you ever have to work on an engine where half the plugs are blocked off by the intake manifold -- you also have to drain the coolant, which, again, should be done on a cold engine.

as for removing them when warm and there's a chance of warping/cracking the head (gasket): by that logic, any time I need to do a warm compression test, I run the risk of doing something wrong to the engine?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
pljenkins
pljenkins is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

If you're going to do this, COVER the spark plug holes.. Either with the plugs or with shop rags. You do NOT want something crawling in there. Baked crushed spider in a cylinder will probably not be good times.

P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pljenkins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pljenkins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pljenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
SaturnFix

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
as for removing them when warm and there's a chance of warping/cracking the head (gasket): by that logic, any time I need to do a warm compression test, I run the risk of doing something wrong to the engine?
Aluminum threads of course softer when hot. When in doubt, simply crack the pugs loose when cold. Then you're good to go. Anti-seize ftw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!