SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Nick96'SL2
Nick96'SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default 1998 Sc2 DOHC Valve Cover Gasket...

My 98 sc2 dohc needs a valve cover gasket. i pulled the #1 cylinder spark plug wire and there was like 1/2 of oil on it, and oil in the plug hole.

Well, my dads autozone rewards card has $20 credit on it, and i'm going to autozone to buy a new one. But i went online and looked at the picture of it and it doesn't look right.....

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...72507_69281_0_

^^^^^Is this gonna fit? ^^^^^

also, any tips on changing it??

Thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nick96'SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nick96'SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nick96'SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: 1998 Sc2 DOHC Valve Cover Gasket...

That is the correct part. The little bolts are torqued to 89in-lb which is about 7.5ft-lb and if you exceed that they break. There is a specific torque pattern for the bolts also and they are torqued in stages in rotation. The corners are installed first ad the rest tucked into place. A small blob of RTV is placed on the 2 places where the timing cover meets the head. The head surface and cam cover surface has to be absolutely oil free or it will leak. use acetone for the final clean. You can use brake cleaner for the initial cleaning.

Intake
9--5--6--10
--3--1--2
8--4--9--11
Exhaust

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Nick96'SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That is the correct part. The little bolts are torqued to 89in-lb which is about 7.5ft-lb and if you exceed that they break. There is a specific torque pattern for the bolts also and they are torqued in stages in rotation. The corners are installed first ad the rest tucked into place. A small blob of RTV is placed on the 2 places where the timing cover meets the head. The head surface and cam cover surface has to be absolutely oil free or it will leak. use acetone for the final clean. You can use brake cleaner for the initial cleaning.

Intake
9--5--6--10
--3--1--2
8--4--9--11
Exhaust

where is the "7" in your bolt order thing ... In between the 9 & 8 right?

i also have this black rtv gasket maker type thing that when dry turns into a dry hard rubbery feeling, and i have red gasket maker.

would either of them work? ^^

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Nick96'SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Either the red or black will be fine but black is the better one.

Seems I can not read my notes.

Intake
9--5--6--10
--3--1--2
8--4--7--11
Exhaust

That will fix that problem....

8 and 9 are the 2 on the timing chain end. there are only 11 bolts total

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Nick96'SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Either the red or black will be fine but black is the better one.

Seems I can not read my notes.

Intake
9--5--6--10
--3--1--2
8--4--7--11
Exhaust

That will fix that problem....

8 and 9 are the 2 on the timing chain end. there are only 11 bolts total
Cool, thanks for clarifying.

I'll use the black rtv stuff i have.( i remember the package when i bought it, had a picture of a valve cover and gasket...)

Also, between the "10" and "11" bolt, like above the ECTS, i have oil leaking there too, could my cover be warped there, or could it just be the bad gasket?

Besides using a rag and long screwdriver, what's another way of getting oil out of the plug holes? ( my mechanic changed the plugs and wires, i'm surprised he did not tell me about the oil in plug holes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
NWSW
NWSW is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
1995 SW1

I usually just pull the plug and let it run back into the cylinder. After the majority of it goes away, I go with the rag and screwdriver. You may want to check into a new set of wires as well, depending on how long you figure it was marinating-all that oil can soften them up. Last set of premium wires I bought at NAPA was like $23. I have followed Old Nuc's valve cover advice and only had one leak. I didn't quite get enough rtv around that corner or that particular cover was warped. Don't forget to let er set 24 hours if you can. That also gives that oil a long time to run down from the wet hole...

95 SW1
97 SW2
Parted, repaired sold several others

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Also, between the "10" and "11" bolt, like above the ECTS, i have oil leaking there too, could my cover be warped there, or could it just be the bad gasket?
Might as well check it for warp while it is off. Lay it face down on a flat table and see if it touches the table all the way around. Then turn it over and check that the intake side, exhaust side, and left end gasket groove is straight between the corners. Use a straight edge.The left end tends to bow and that will cause it to leak. You can install a new gasket on a warped or twisted cover and it may hold but the best approach is to replace. Do not even think about "just tightening" the bolts as they only go so far and then break. The cover floats between the gasket and the rubber isolators on each bolt. It is effectively suspended in rubber.

The cover, gasket, and head have to be absolutely oil free or it will leak. Acetone is the best final cleaner you can get your hands on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Nick96'SL2

Found my tube of the black rtv stuff i have. the link isthe exact thing i have

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=526681_0_0_

so, i would put this rtv between the two parts, where the timing cover meets the engine? i put a dab on the 2 cracks where they meet together between the gasket, And the engine? ( grammar?)...lol

--------- <gasket
**** < RTV
------- < Engine ( the crack) << correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Thats it, right there. There is usually a bit of space or a step there and if not fixed with the RTV it will leak, a bunch. Let it cure overnight so it does not just wash out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #10
Mozez1975
Mozez1975 is on a distinguished road

I have 0.040 off my head and used the black 1ST AYDE RTV. It works perfect to take up the seal for the little gap on timing cover and head. I also just used a new Fel Pro gasket that worked great on the Valve Cover. I also used it on Timing Cover and a few otherplaces on a complete DEEBS Build. No Leaks, as I just ran it on the track tonight for a total of about 50 laps. I race dirt track ovals and man this build is a scary one for that. The damn thing pulls so hard in the corners that I have to figure a new suspension set up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mozez1975's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mozez1975 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mozez1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Great Cars
Great Cars is on a distinguished road

Having issues with getting the valve cover to stop leaking.
I've tried everything.
Any special instructions, I've read above and have tried. The cover does not appear to be warped, but will check again.

I also had issue with the gasket not looking or mating correctly to the cover. If you turn it upside down it looks correct.

I did not follow a torge sequence. I'am a experienced mechanic and go by feel. But if this is a critical torge spec, it would be a first for me.

Also have done the Saturn covers before and not had this much trouble.
I'm working on a 98 SL2 Twin Cam.

Have cleaned the mating surfaces rigously.

Last attempt made with a thin coat of #2 permatex. Don't usally need to do this. This also did not work.

Dan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Great Cars's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Great Cars reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Great Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Well, exactly where is it leaking at? It makes a difference as what might work to fix it.

If you are using the FelPro gasket correctly fitting it to the cover can be difficult as there is more gasket than cover. The cover floats between the gasket and the elastomer isolators on the bolt assemblies. The tightening pattern is moderately critical but as long as the bolts are tightened down in stages in order the cover usually seals. They all have to bottom against the head to provide the proper tension. Any oil film on either the head or gasket will usually result in a leak with a problematic cover. Usually the left end bows out and this releases the pressure on the gasket and oil leaks from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
Great Cars

Removed the Cover, rechecked on a flat surface again, this time I did find the cover was warped. So the problem is now understood. I cleaned both mating surfaces and proceeded to apply a silicone base around the heads mating surface. Let it skin, then applied the cover very carefully. I used the torgue sequence given, and then walked away for night.

If this does not work, I wonder if anyone has had success at filing the offending corners to square up the mating service. I have not read where anyone has attempted this, but as long as you approach it carefully I believe this could help to correct the issue.

I found that my cover appears to be bowed on the drivers side above the temp sensor. If the corners were files a bit it may bring the cover back to a closer spec. What say you to this, if the seal doesn't hold

Thanks,
Dan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Great Cars reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
plasticoupe
plasticoupe is on a distinguished road

Which DOHC covers seem to seal better / warp less... the alloy or plastic units?

J.R.
'01 SC2
SoCal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plasticoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plasticoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plasticoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The aluminum is warp free. 93-95 to replace 96-98 plastic. You are stuck with the 99 and newer plastic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
Great Cars

Just a note to state that I was able to seal the cover.
The silicone did the trick
I still think that filing a cover corner on my valve cover may have solved the problem as well.
The idea is to plain the cover to a flat position.
I would only try this if I was looking at no other solutions but a replacement, by that time, theres nothing to loose, saving the gasket if it gets damaged or stretched.

I also didn't understand why Fel Pro designed the gasket in reverse. Although I could make it work, I didn't like the misformed gasket.

Thanks to all who contributed to my successful repair of the leaking new valve cover gasket. The Plastic Valve cover was not a bright idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
Ramics
Advanced Member
Ramics is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

When you found out it was warped and you cleaned the mating surfaces.

Did you apply the rtv alone to the mating surfaces or did you also incorporate the Felpro gasket along with the silicone rtv?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ramics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ramics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ramics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Once you find the plastic cove is warped about al you can do is either replace it or experiment. The FelPro gasket is exactly like the OEM except it is blue. The narrow tongue is supposed to fit into the mating grove in the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Cars View Post
Just a note to state that I was able to seal the cover.
The silicone did the trick
I still think that filing a cover corner on my valve cover may have solved the problem as well.
The idea is to plain the cover to a flat position.
I would only try this if I was looking at no other solutions but a replacement, by that time, theres nothing to loose, saving the gasket if it gets damaged or stretched.

I also didn't understand why Fel Pro designed the gasket in reverse. Although I could make it work, I didn't like the misformed gasket.

Thanks to all who contributed to my successful repair of the leaking new valve cover gasket. The Plastic Valve cover was not a bright idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #19
laribel
laribel is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
1997 SL

Quote:
I also had issue with the gasket not looking or mating correctly to the cover. If you turn it upside down it looks correct.

I am replaciing the gasket on my 96 SL2 DOHC, and I am having the same issue with the gasket looking as if it is made upside down... here are a few pictures...

The 1st on left is with the two sides pressed in the valve cover, notice how the wavy part is not matching correctly.

The 2nd is with the gasket turned upside down, and this way the gasket looks as if it would fit as formed (if it could be pressed in this way, but it can't)

The 3rd is with the 'wavy' part of the gasket pressed in to match the cover. This way the ends of the cover that stick out do not match, as one is too short, the other too long.

If I just press it in will it still seal correctly since the top and bottom part of the gasket that actually seal with the mating surfaces are flush?
Or is this the wrong gasket? I do not have the exact part number right now ( i may come back and edit, as it is in a post of which I asked for info for this R/R, just too tired and after dealing with it today and still not getting it on after over a week of trying to fight the rain, I'm too worn out) but I did follow directive of memebers on thios forum for the correct part.
I have the composite 11 bolt cover.

Any help is greatly appreciated... hopefully the pics help in understanding what is wrong with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4081270.jpg (203.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P4081271.jpg (203.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P4081272.jpg (198.0 KB, 36 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laribel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laribel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laribel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #20
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Just squeeze it in. It's not made of a solid material. It forms just fine to the valve cover.
Be glad it "almost" looks like it'll fit. One's I've gotten have looked like they're made for a wider & longer head, but they still worked fine.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

Last edited by fetchitfido; 05-01-2011 at 04:24 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote