SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
sattyluvr
sattyluvr is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
Default Can i save my saturn???

Im to the point where i cant rely on my 2000 sc2 anymore to do the daily commuting. Im getting another car but find myself not wanting to let my satty go.

the parking lights/dash light circuit has a short somewhere so they dont work...and i also have some kind of wiring issue within the air management system as well that causes the car to idle high or stall depending on its mood. Ive tried doing what i can but i need to take it to a professional at this point if i want it fixed.

everyone says just get rid of it but id love to keep it to tinker with as a little tuner car.

i guess my question is if this is even financially worth it.wiring issues are a ***** but how much would i expect to spend to rewire the lights and engine system? and has anyone gone through this before

any advice is appreciated thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sattyluvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sattyluvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sattyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Can i save my saturn???

What's so awful about wiring issues? WRT the lights, the first thing I'd do is uninstall all the bulbs, and if the fuse doesn't blow, reinstall them one at a time until it fails. Another possible failure point is the dimmer; if you disconnect it, you remove the dash lights from the equation.

The only electrical/electronic "air management" component is the IAC - intake air control valve. It may be working fine, but being directed incorrectly how to set the idle. If you haven't replaced the ECTS and determined that the connector is good, it could be faulty, causing the PCM to create a high idle. The idle issue may not even be electrical; it could be a vacuum leak such as an intake manifold gasket failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

It is probably easily fixable but you don't want to contemplate the cost for a pro. So, if you compile a list of all the things that do not work. Another list of what you have done to the car. Then an educated guess of what to ask and what to check and fix can be made. As this will be electrical do you have a DVM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Have you checked the wiring for it? By far the top reason for issues on the circuit with the dash & parking lights is a short after installing aftermarket head units, often from not insulating the two unused wires.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
What's so awful about wiring issues? WRT the lights, the first thing I'd do is uninstall all the bulbs, and if the fuse doesn't blow, reinstall them one at a time until it fails. Another possible failure point is the dimmer; if you disconnect it, you remove the dash lights from the equation.

The only electrical/electronic "air management" component is the IAC - intake air control valve. It may be working fine, but being directed incorrectly how to set the idle. If you haven't replaced the ECTS and determined that the connector is good, it could be faulty, causing the PCM to create a high idle. The idle issue may not even be electrical; it could be a vacuum leak such as an intake manifold gasket failure.
i tried all points....dimmer-each tail bulb. i went through about 20 10a fuses trying each component. i can still drive during the day cause its just parking lights but its still makes it unsafe at night.

ive been getting a tps circuit A low input code on and off for a couple of months. tried a napa replacement but the problem worsened. installed a junkyard tps and it ran good for a while then same bs. also checked iac valve and tried replacement. i also did vacuum leak tests around intake manifold and TB but didnt find one.

its just a extra headache ontop of things right now to deal with but i dont want to give up on it. i love this car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sattyluvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Do you have an aftermarket stereo? Have you checked the wiring for it? By far the top reason for issues on the circuit with the dash & parking lights is a short after installing aftermarket head units, often from not insulating the two unused wires.
NO kidding?! this might be the problem... the car had an aftermarket pioneer head unit without subs just the headunit when i bought it. ive never checked back there cause i thought the stereo system is on a different circuit then the dash/parking lights....am i correct???

i know its a direct ground short cause the fuse pops immediately so it would make sense. il check it for sure and post results thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It is probably easily fixable but you don't want to contemplate the cost for a pro. So, if you compile a list of all the things that do not work. Another list of what you have done to the car. Then an educated guess of what to ask and what to check and fix can be made. As this will be electrical do you have a DVM?
you worked me through the TPS problem a while ago and it was ok for a while but the problem is now back and worse.

i do have a dvm and a father that does electrical work for the school board so he's been helping me in spare time troubleshooting but hes not super thrilled about working on my saturn on his saturday afternoon so ....

good idea to make a list i will and post it up, thats a good start

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattyluvr View Post
NO kidding?! this might be the problem... the car had an aftermarket pioneer head unit without subs just the headunit when i bought it. ive never checked back there cause i thought the stereo system is on a different circuit then the dash/parking lights....am i correct???
Think about it - the lighting on the head unit changes with the parking lights (usu. buttons are backlit and the display dims, but they differ), right? That's fed by the parking light circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Think about it - the lighting on the head unit changes with the parking lights (usu. buttons are backlit and the display dims, but they differ), right? That's fed by the parking light circuit.
Depends on the age of the H/U. One's made in the last 5 years or so are lit via the main power and, if your lucky, have a sensor tied to the parking light line. My older Pioneer unit had 1 brightness level for 24hrs a day, no dimmer or illumination connection. My current JVC unit has 2 levels, one fairly bright for park lights off and a 2nd fairly dim for park lights on. That's on top of making a rainbow look like it's got no color options... lol

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
madpogue

1996 SW2

Hmm, I had some of the first digital-tuned units from Radio Shack in the '80s, and it had some kind of illumination, and it was tied to the dash light feed. Shoot, if I recall, even the old analog Sanyo aftermarket cassette radio (remember when they were actually "pushbutton"?) in my Nova had some kind of lighting tied to the dash light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
you worked me through the TPS problem a while ago and it was ok for a while but the problem is now back and worse.

i do have a dvm and a father that does electrical work for the school board so he's been helping me in spare time troubleshooting but hes not super thrilled about working on my saturn on his saturday afternoon so ....

good idea to make a list i will and post it up, thats a good start
Yes, a list of issues and previous repairs will be a big help. If you used an aftermarket TPS previously that is probably your problem with the high idle as the aftermarket parts tend to an early death. The appropriate vintage part from a junk yard is a better bet.

Aftermarket stereo systems cause major problems, sometimes immediately and most times later. That is probably the source of the problems you are having now. If this is the case the permanent fix is not difficult.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Found that the dimmer/dash illumination wire wasnt taped off and was touching the radio ground wire....wrapped it up put a new fuse in and it the lights work!

i feel dumb for not checking that in the first place....i had everything from the dimmer switch to each tail light fixture unplugged trying to troubleshoot it lol

now i just need to figure out my idle problem

thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #13
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Yes, a list of issues and previous repairs will be a big help. If you used an aftermarket TPS previously that is probably your problem with the high idle as the aftermarket parts tend to an early death. The appropriate vintage part from a junk yard is a better bet.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/new...newreply&p=172
Aftermarket stereo systems cause major problems, sometimes immediately and most times later. That is probably the source of the problems you are having now. If this is the case the permanent fix is not difficult.
i do have a similar JY TPS in right now but the OBD still says i have a low circuit "A" input on the sensor. whether its the new autozone TPS or JY ones the problem persists. i was thinking a pinched wire but who knows. The engine and trans have been swapped on separate occasions by a repair shop i know so maybe a pinched wire is causing a false or low reading.

was wondering if my MAP sensor being dirty might be effecting the system without setting a code...ive never cleaned it and the car has 120k

ill also install the factory radio i got with the car and see what happens

Last edited by sattyluvr; 03-31-2011 at 12:54 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #14
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
i do have a similar JY TPS in right now but the OBD still says i have a low circuit "A" input on the sensor. whether its the new autozone TPS or JY ones the problem persists. i was thinking a pinched wire but who knows. The engine and trans have been swapped on separate occasions by a repair shop i know so maybe a pinched wire is causing a false or low reading.

was wondering if my MAP sensor being dirty might be effecting the system without setting a code...ive never cleaned it and the car has 120k

Definitely replace the ECTS and check the connector for your idle problem.. even if it doesn't fix it, its a good thing to do, and its pretty cheap and easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:

What is the actual code number for the TPS. The scanner definition has no real value, need the number.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Found that the dimmer/dash illumination wire wasnt taped off and was touching the radio ground wire....wrapped it up put a new fuse in and it the lights work!
Yup, sadly I learned about this because I had the same problem. Glad I could help.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
What is the actual code number for the TPS. The scanner definition has no real value, need the number.
P0122 - TPS sensor low circuit "A" input

P0507 - high/irregular idle code set has come and gone with the TPS error code

Recently it hasnt been idling high, its been missing or something when cruising at highway and lower speeds. the car shudders and shakes. Because of this i cant rely on it and have had the hardest time figuring it out.

since ive had the car its also had a p0442 which is a small evap emissions leak somewhere... dunno if its related but it came on shortly after i bought the car and it was warrantied. took it into the then saturn dealer and they replaced the gas cap and oxygen sensor but code came back so i dont know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The TPS code will probably go away by replacing the present sensor with one from your local junk yard. The OEM parts, even when scavenged of of a dead car work better. For your 2000 SC-2 the TPS from any model 2000-2002 SOHC or DOHC car will function properly. Once the TPS is replaced remove the PCM B fuse from the engine compartment fuse box for a couple of minutes and replace it that will reset the codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!