SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Noodles1985
Noodles1985 is on a distinguished road

Default Tire Size Help (widest tire on OE wheel)

I own a 1997 Saturn SL. The vehicle was originally equipped with tires sized 175/70R14. What are the wheel specifications (i.e., width/offset/etc.)of the O.E. wheel? Can I install a 195/60R14 sized tire on a stock 14" wheel? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Noodles1985's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Noodles1985 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Noodles1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
radi
radi is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Tire Size Help (widest tire on OE wheel)

I don't know the specs, but I have looked them up on TireRack.com in the past. They list the numbers for all the common sizes.
Or you could do a visual comparison here:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to radi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help radi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
radi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

You can use 195/60R14 tires, so long as you are using conventional NGK spark plugs. Premium spark plugs generally cause the wheels to overspin and interfere with the strut.

What is your Saturn's oil economy?
Canada Saturn owners REVOLT!!! Improper factory spark plugs! c.c
If you are in the Southern Wisconsin area, check out: facebook.com/SaturnFix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnFix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
radi
radi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnFix View Post
You can use 195/60R14 tires, so long as you are using conventional NGK spark plugs. Premium spark plugs generally cause the wheels to overspin and interfere with the strut.
You can prevent that wheelspin problem by installing a used resin-tip ECTS, a cheap aftermarket EGR, and a Bosch universal O2 sensor.

OP: Please ignore the non-tire related commentary, it is not relevant. Spillover from a different thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to radi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help radi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
radi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Red96RaceCar
Red96RaceCar is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Before i get into it i'll explain what the numbers mean in case you don't already know.
195 (or 175) is the width of the tire in millimeters
60 (or 70) is the height of the side wall, its an aspect ratio that is described as a percentage of the tire width

You want to know if the 175/70/R14 and 165/60/R14 are the same height. Its as simple as multiplying the 175 * 70% and 165 * 60% and seeing if there the same:
.70 * 175 = 122.5 millimeters
.60 * 195 = 117 millimeters

There not quite the same therefore your speedometer would be off (slower)
If you used a 195/65/R14 (126.75 millimeter) The speedometer would be a little Fast
If you used a 205/60/R14 (123 millimeters) it would work.
(I know 205's fit on my 96 SC2 with out rubbing on anything)
Hope this helps

Last edited by Red96RaceCar; 03-28-2011 at 12:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red96RaceCar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red96RaceCar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red96RaceCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Wow, you're good! That's exactly the type of traction control system I install on S-Series at my shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Noodles1985

Thank you for the help (and sarcasm). Obviously, I am in dire need of additional traction due to the wheelspin (the engine produces an estimated 60 horspower at the drive wheels). So, naturally, I need the widest contact patch possible.

I'm not planning to recalibrate the speedometer. I'll probably use my girlfriend's GPS unit to check how accurate or inaccurate the speedometer is with the new tires mounted. I know the GPS unit reads accurately (tested in many different vehicles with O.E. equipment).

The primary reason for installing a wider tire is the frightful lack of lateral grip. I'm probably going to install a set of high performance all-season radials, which will also have the benefit of not being cracked and riddled with flat spots. The car will always be slow, but it would be nice if it were a bit more tossable in corners. I'm well versed in the art of momentum driving having driven many painfully underpowered vehicles in my life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Noodles1985 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You should be fine with the wider tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
Noodles1985

Follow-up:

If you search for tires by vehicle on Discount Tire Direct, the search results include "plus" sizes. Tire Rack does not include this information.

Discount Tire Direct states that a 195/65R14 or 205/60R14 tire will fit the stock wheel. The former size is limited in terms of performance all-season tires (plenty of 195/60R14 tires to choose from though) and Discount Tire Direct (among other retailers, but not Tire Rack) sell the Falken Ziex ZE-512 tire in the latter size.

Additionally, actual tire size may vary according to manufacturer. A magazine did a comparison test among several tires a few years ago and found that tire size was slightly different for each manufacturer even though they were identified as being the same size tire. I think it was Sport Compact Car (RIP), but I'm not certain. Tire Rack includes a warning about this in their tire size guide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That has always been the case. They all use a different ruler. If it were me I would find a local tire dealer and see what he says. They do have good inside info. The national chains are just pushing tires. The is about 725lb on each front whee and 450lb on each back so tire size, rubber compound, and tread pattern are critical. You can also fit the 15" rims and the 195 tires. I suspect there are some 195/60s that put more rubber on the road than the 205s. The 195/60/15s are very close to the strut and on the smaller rim will be closer..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
SaturnFix

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The is about 725lb on each front whee and 450lb on each back so tire size, rubber compound, and tread pattern are critical.
Ha! It's no wonder the europeans dominate the Saturn in rally and race.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
They all use a different ruler. If it were me I would find a local tire dealer and see what he says.
Holy schnitzels do they use a different ruler. My grandfathers winter tread measured around 7.25"/185mm (contact patch) and they're marked as 215/60's. My summer tires measured around an inch larger, or 210mm and they're marked as 205/40's.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote