SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Jmrothrock29
Jmrothrock29 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Catalytic Converter?

Ok i have a 2002 Sl2 with 230 K the cat is OE Unfortinatly i have Ca Emissions on this car Meaning i Have A Pre Cat as well as a rear My Q Is if i rod out the front cat and Replace the Rear only we dont have emissions here were i live if i do this Might i Get A Ses Light any input would be greatly aprecited on this

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jmrothrock29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jmrothrock29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jmrothrock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2
Default Re: Catalytic Converter?

Assuming you mean replacing the rear cat with a non-CA one, the front O2 sensor does not monitor catalyst efficiency, so I cannot see an issue with causing trouble codes.

However, may I ask why you are clearing the pre-cat? Is it for increasing exhaust flow/performance?

If so, the empty chamber on the exhaust manifold will most likely cause an unpleasant sound. I would suggest swapping in a different manifold.

What is your Saturn's oil economy?
Canada Saturn owners REVOLT!!! Improper factory spark plugs! c.c
If you are in the Southern Wisconsin area, check out: facebook.com/SaturnFix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnFix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Jmrothrock29
Jmrothrock29 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

i'm suspecting the precat is plugged BUt i am not yet ready to condem it until i get around to rechecking the compression in the engine the car is just running realy slugish so i'm just needing to weigh my options and no i was going to get a 49 state cat that is Ca emissions Just Not Carb compliant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jmrothrock29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jmrothrock29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jmrothrock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

'00-'02 got the dumb precat setup regardless of CA emission package or not. Might be able to find a 9 bolt '99 manifold without the precat but that might screw with the AIR system.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Catalytic Converter?

Cleaning out the pre-cat should have no effect upon the front O2 sensor operation because the sensor is pre-pre-cat. To badly misquote Raul Julia in Gumball Rally: "what is behind it does not matter". No codes should result unless something else is wrong (leaks are the most common culprit).

It will also make no unusual or objectionable noises unless you are listening to it with a stethoscope or something like that, in which case you probably shouldn't be doing that in the first place. Don't waste your time and money on a different manifold IMHO, put it toward the cat replacement instead.

However........ Replacing the main cat with something less than it was intended to be could cause an issue. The rear O2 sensor monitors its "efficiency", basically meaning that it looks to see that there is a pre-determined base level of clean up from pre-cat to post-cat, or better. So if you put in a cat that is not operating at the same level of "efficiency", you could get the code for "low catalyst efficiency". FWIW, if you have CA emissions, I'd suggest that you put a CA-type cat on it. But it can be a "universal" type (weld-in) to save money if you wish. Try Magnaflow. Worked for mine.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
dcc81187
dcc81187 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1996 SC1

If you suspect a plugged cat take out the front o2 sensor and go for a drive. if it is the cat it will run fine with the sensor out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcc81187's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcc81187 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcc81187 is offline   Reply With Quote