SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Silversnake
Silversnake is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Dizzy 1999 Saturn Sc2 3-Door Coupe

I have a 1999 saturn sc2 that I am currently putting payments on. I ran into a problem with the horn. It did not work ever since I got it. So today, (March 3rd, 2011) I went to autozone to get a horn. I unbolted the old one, and looked at it. It almost appeared that there was a relay on it with three wires going into it? Im not too sure but all I know is that the horn I just purchased only had 2 pins. One for ground and the other for Power. I want the security system to work and so Im only imagining that third wire is for just that. Another thing is among the 3 wires, I found that 1 of the 3 were positive by using a light test. One wire was hooked up to the horn button inside the cab. The weird thing I found was that the other wire was ALWAYS on. So I checked it with the horn. I cut the harness off, hooked it to the positive and the weird ground and it worked! Only problem is.. I dont think It was suppose to. Simply because of the fact that I did not hit any buttons and the security system was NOT activated. My question is... How do I hook up an aftermarket horn with the 3 wires and what is making that wire always grounded? Could it be a bad relay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silversnake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silversnake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silversnake is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 1999 Saturn Sc2 3-Door Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversnake View Post
I have a 1999 saturn sc2 that I am currently putting payments on.
Payments on a 11 year old car thats maybe worth $1500-$2000 dollars? Wow.

Quote:
I ran into a problem with the horn. It did not work ever since I got it. So today, (March 3rd, 2011) I went to autozone to get a horn. I unbolted the old one, and looked at it. It almost appeared that there was a relay on it
It does have a built-in relay.

Quote:
with three wires going into it? Im not too sure but all I know is that the horn I just purchased only had 2 pins. One for ground and the other for Power.
Thats the incorrect horn.

Quote:
I want the security system to work and so Im only imagining that third wire is for just that. Another thing is among the 3 wires, I found that 1 of the 3 were positive by using a light test. One wire was hooked up to the horn button inside the cab. The weird thing I found was that the other wire was ALWAYS on. So I checked it with the horn. I cut the harness off, hooked it to the positive and the weird ground and it worked! Only problem is.. I dont think It was suppose to.
Ground is just that, the ground. One positive is to feed the built-in relay. The third wire is a signal wire from the horn buttons to trigger the built-in relay to activate the horn.

Quote:
Simply because of the fact that I did not hit any buttons and the security system was NOT activated. My question is... How do I hook up an aftermarket horn with the 3 wires and what is making that wire always grounded? Could it be a bad relay?
Why not just return the horn and pick up the correct one?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
My hubby bought an 02 Neon in 06, 6 year loan...it'lll be 10 years old by time it's paid!

My 05 Vue would be same thing...5 yr loan though..i'm paying more than the note every month though, Will be paid in 3 years.Why my hubby didn't or isn't is beyond me.

I'm sure they(OP) are only paying the minimum, and almost everyone does.

Now that our Neon needs transmission repairs, it hits hard as we have to pay that monthly bill and won't be able to drive it until it's fixed.

I can't see why someone would be paying on that old of a car, I've bought 8-9 year old cars for cheap!

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Silversnake

1999 SC2

Quote:
Why not just return the horn and pick up the correct one?
I eventually will pick up the right horn I guess but the matter of the fact is that autozone is the closest place around and if I were to find and buy an actually horn built for my car the price would be around $75 Id imagine. But my actual question of this whole page is... Why is that third wire always grounded, Cuz im almost positive that the security would run through that to the relay on the back of the factory horn. When I ripped that relay off and opened it up cuz Im curious like that, both of the grounds went to one terminal and the positive when to another terminal.

SilverSnake

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Silversnake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
dcc81187
dcc81187 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1996 SC1

If you wanted to you could just wire in an external relay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcc81187's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcc81187 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcc81187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
bescurred
bescurred is on a distinguished road

Not everyone is in a great financial situation...

however, I'd buy the correct one for the car and no do the aftermarket one.

1995 SL2 122k <----Daily Driver! (Barney)
2000 Ext. Cab Silverado 235k (Ol' Blue)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bescurred's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bescurred reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bescurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
dcc81187
dcc81187 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1996 SC1

Double post sorry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcc81187's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcc81187 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcc81187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

You can wire in an external relay and use the aftermarket horn. How well it'll hold up will depend on how well you do the wiring. I did that with my wife's '99 SC1 4-5 years ago, and honestly didn't weatherproof it well at all, but it's still working.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Silversnake

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
You can wire in an external relay and use the aftermarket horn. How well it'll hold up will depend on how well you do the wiring. I did that with my wife's '99 SC1 4-5 years ago, and honestly didn't weatherproof it well at all, but it's still working.
I never really understood how relays worked or how to hook them up so thats out of the question, haha. Thanks for saying that tho. I got it all hooked up now and the horn sounds like a freakin clown car. My mom laughed her butt off listening to it! Hahaha. I may just bridge off the 12v power line and connect the other ground and see if that would make my security horn work.

SilverSnake

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

There are a few diagrams floating around here that show how to wire up a 2-connector horn to the 3-S series horn conneector throught the relay. If you find posts by richpin06, look in his picture gallery. Might even be a video on YouTube (not sure, but if you check, on Youtube it's richpin06a)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
I never really understood how relays worked or how to hook them up so thats out of the question, haha. Thanks for saying that tho. I got it all hooked up now and the horn sounds like a freakin clown car. My mom laughed her butt off listening to it! Hahaha. I may just bridge off the 12v power line and connect the other ground and see if that would make my security horn work.
If, by this, you mean you have a two-wire horn connected, and grounding the main current of the horn through the steering wheel buttons, disconnect it NOW. If you're lucky, the most innocuous outcome is that the button switches will fail. If you're not so lucky, it may involve the fire extinguisher that (let's hope) you have tucked under the seat.

The third wire on the three-wire horn is always grounded because that's the ground for the main power draw of the horn. The middle one is just the ground for the TRIGGER (the relay), which draws MUCH less current; the buttons on the wheel are only equipped to handle that lower current. THAT is why all the cars have either an external relay in the junction box ('91-'95, '00-02) or an internal relay in the horn ('96-'99).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
The only time I've financed a car is when it was 0% interest rate (my current car was purchased this way), If he has a similar set up, might not be so bad.

Besscured, yes, not everyone is in a good financial situation, but most of us make our own beds. I rode a bicycle everywhere until I got my first real job out of college. I pay cash for everything that is not 0% financing (even homes).

Silversnake, listen to Low Saturn, he knows his stuff. Take the horn back.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote