SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2
Default Sujestions for higher setting/ bigger car

My dad today came home, gripping about getting into his 98 SL1 manual (bought in 98 with 10,000 miles know at 280's due to his commute, about hr each way, and all the trips that we have took in it)

So any thoughts on cars that set a bit higher and bit bigger (my sister and I are no 3 feet any more, trying to fit two 6' + people and a 5' 8" person in it is kinda hard)

Thoughts on any of saturn (I personally like saturn a lot) but the deal is want sameish or better gas millage for the car

Thanks

Nick

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Sujestions for higher setting/ bigger car

Vue.

L200 looked slightly larger then a SL2 but not enough to really matter.

'07 Taurus is starting to be too small for my ~75yr old grandfathers 6'4" frame, and that car feels huge after being in my '96 SC2 all the time

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

He could move to an L series sedan or wagon. You could get them with a standard transmission and 4 cyl 2.2 engine which would help with your fuel economy. I had leased a 2001 LW in this configuration and it wasn't too bad of a car and it definitely had more room then the S series and a higher seating position. However, they do have some issues to watch for related to the steering and suspension components. I'm not sure if they ever figured out the cause.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

I would take a look at a 4cyl, 5 speed Vue. They have more leg room and aren't too bad on gas.

Edit: I just saw your sig and saw you already had a Vue.

2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Myself, my eight year old son and my parents all fit pretty comfortably in my Aura. Its got the 3.6L V6, so it has plenty of power to get a fully loaded car moving. And the way they designed the front seat backs, the car had a lot of rear leg room.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

A 2005-2007 V6 FWD VUE is capable of about 28mpg on the highway and has substantially more room inside. It's also got a very dependable Honda drivetrain.

For a newer Saturn, there's always the Aura. However, given that Saturn has been killed off, you might as well get the Chevy equivalent, the Malibu, if you must have a GM product. You won't get SL1-level mileage though. For what it's worth, the Prius is pretty roomy inside (compared to an SL1) and gets substantially better mileage.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
For a newer Saturn, there's always the Aura. However, given that Saturn has been killed off, you might as well get the Chevy equivalent, the Malibu,
But an Aura with similar options can be found for a lot less money. And since its a cousin to the Malibu and G6, you can use those parts. I have several Malibu and G6 parts on my Aura right now. Even some Sky parts.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
He could move to an L series sedan or wagon. You could get them with a standard transmission and 4 cyl 2.2 engine which would help with your fuel economy. I had leased a 2001 LW in this configuration and it wasn't too bad of a car and it definitely had more room then the S series and a higher seating position. However, they do have some issues to watch for related to the steering and suspension components. I'm not sure if they ever figured out the cause.
i kinda would not trust a L-series i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
I would take a look at a 4cyl, 5 speed Vue. They have more leg room and aren't too bad on gas.

Edit: I just saw your sig and saw you already had a Vue.
yeah you can fit a lot easier into the Vue, personally I loved it, except it did not seem to be fully shifted when you had it in 5th gear (plus thinking about getting rid of manual trans, since both of them having problems in knees)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
But an Aura with similar options can be found for a lot less money. And since its a cousin to the Malibu and G6, you can use those parts. I have several Malibu and G6 parts on my Aura right now. Even some Sky parts.
Mike, how do you like your Aura (that's what i was thinking as a replacement)? any problems with it? gas millage?

and right now cheapest thing I can find is a 06 G6 with 36k for 10 grand (basic package, all of our cars normally are, only one that I can remember my parents buying with any options was a 96 Chevy Lumina Van, with power locks, (ABS i think was an option) but for me my truck was bare bones, Saturns semi equipped

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I'd also suggest a Buick LeSabre or Chevy Impala. Too bad crown vics or grand marquises are out..

+1 on no L-series. Trottida, the L-series is also known for electrical problems with the BCMs and water pump issues as well.

Fido, just so ya know, the '07 Taurus looks the same from 2000-2007. So that might be an option..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

The last years of the old generation Impala (~2005)is a pretty good choice for space and fuel economy with the 3.4L. The early ones have leaky intake manifold problems that I think are a fair amount better on the later ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
A 2005-2007 V6 FWD VUE is capable of about 28mpg on the highway and has substantially more room inside. It's also got a very dependable Honda drivetrain.
Wish sometime forums had "LIKE" buttons!!

The 05-07 V6 are nothing but auto, you can pick one up between 9-12k, and for still a reasonably low mileage.

Love mine!

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote