SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Transmission Cooler?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alumi...ht_2923wt_1165

Any thoughts on a transmission cooler like this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Transmission Cooler?

Nothing you could print in a family forum!

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Nothing you could print in a family forum!
lol, you think the aluminum fin heatsink design wouldn't work as well? That's what we use exclusively in electronics really. My concern was that it wouldn't be tough enough to be used undearneath a vehicle with rocks and such getting kicked up there.

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-13220-F...=3B2IIIVEBQCTG

This is another one I've been looking at. More of a conventional type, and similar to the flex-a-lite posted previously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

This is the one I had on my Protege:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hayde...#ht_1334wt_716
It's similar to the aux one that came from the factory on my Explorer.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
BlownL36
BlownL36 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

anybody put a trans cooler on an 02 vue w/ 3.0l v6?

2002 Vue 3.0L V6 AWD
2002 GTP-Ton of Mods!
2004 Cobra- Ton of Mods!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlownL36's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlownL36 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlownL36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

The ridgelines are suppose to come with one stock, anyone know how big it is?

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Hey everyone. Been gone for a bit due to school and work but I have been reading the post when I can. I'm looking at moving to upstate New York in a few months and of course, I'll be towng a U-Haul trailer. Nothing too big, but I was looking on etrailer.com and found this cooler. Any thoughts on it?
http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission...eid=2005759013

I thought about having U-Haul install the hitch and cooler until they quoted me a price upwards near $400. Found a video on youtube about installing the hitch and figure I can do that myself but the cooler is something else. Only installed them on the Isuzu NPR trucks but they had a space made for it. How easy is it on the VUE?

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

The Vue has these bars on the underside that would be perfect for installing a long transmission cooler. I dunno if they're made for that or not, but they're perfect. Outside of that it's just a matter of changing the routing of the lines.

I'm debating on adding an aux transmission filter in line as well. Being that the one in the Vue is not easily serviceable, it's a nice thought to have one that would be. Then again, at 100k+ already on mine, it might be too late to really matter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 03-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Supposedly plate and fin coolers are better than tube and fin.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Yep, the companies that make tube/fin coolers say theirs is best, the companies that make stacked/plate coolers say theirs is best. Marketing depts. wouldn't lie to ya............would they? Been using a Perma-Cool almost 5 years now. Mount it in the cool air stream behind the grille.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162292

Last edited by djb383; 03-20-2011 at 05:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
risknotdonot
risknotdonot is on a distinguished road

Yes without a doubt you need to install a auxiliary transmission cooler. I have an 03' 2.2 VTI. It was starting to slip and i noticed it was temperature related. Transmission was getting very hot and issues would start. I had to let it cool off my driving in spurts and letting it cool. Went on here and read about it in the forum. HUGE difference in the transmission with an Aux cooler. It does not slip and ambient air temperature is up to 96 in stop and go traffic. 55 dollars is a very cheap investment in a cooler from Advance or AutoZone. I went with the plate type but just get it installed ASAP.
The normal transmission cooler is NOT part of the radiator as stated in previous discussions. Air flow comes into the car like this: air conditioning condenser, manufacturer's trans cooler, then radiator. Terribly inefficient for the factory cooler. I did the install in the front yard with car ramps. Mini-tubing cutter is needed for mine, other than that, follow the directions that comes with the cooler.[IMG]
[/IMG]
PS while the grill and headlights are removed go ahead and remove the bong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to risknotdonot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help risknotdonot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
risknotdonot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by risknotdonot View Post
.........The normal transmission cooler is NOT part of the radiator as stated in previous discussions.
U sure about that? Every vehicle I've owned, the tranny fluid is routed to the factory tranny cooler that's located in the cool tank on the engine coolant radiator.........nothing between the condenser and radiator unless that's where u mount an auxiliary cooler.....but mounting it between the two causes a loss in efficiency.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by risknotdonot View Post
.The normal transmission cooler is NOT part of the radiator as stated in previous discussions.
The original post (OP) was created by a 3.5 owner, and yes - those Vue's do circulate ATF through the engine coolant radiator.

I'll check the service manual and repost but am thinking only CVT equipped Vues have an ATF cooler separate from the radiator.

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
The original post (OP) was created by a 3.5 owner, and yes - those Vue's do circulate ATF through the engine coolant radiator.

I'll check the service manual and repost but am thinking only CVT equipped Vues have an ATF cooler separate from the radiator.
I was wrong - somewhat - according to FSM - 3.0 Vues also have ATF cooler sandwiched between condensor and radiator.

GM replaced CVT with 4T45 auto trans for 2005 and newer, and also dropped the separate ATF cooler to use radiator system used by the 3.5.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
hein
Advanced Member
hein is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Here's a cooler/filter install I did on my 06 Redline

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150013

I also have a Scangauge set up to monitor the trans temp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

What tranny fluid temps does the ScanGauge show?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
What tranny fluid temps does the ScanGauge show?
Not to pre-empt hein but my 3.5 ATF gauge ranges 170 to 180 cruising on interstate but temp does increase during stop and go city driving - I believe I've seen up to 200 degrees.

I also have scangauge in my Chevy PU and ATF temp climbs to coolant temp and tracks right along with on higher excursions - when engine temp is 210 while bogged in city traffic - the ATF temp is nearly identical.

I suspect same results for the Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Do u have a auxiliary cooler in your Vue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!