SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
ttigger
ttigger is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 vue rl recall beware

This is to reprogramm the PCM to eliminate gear hunting at 25-45 mph.
All well and good--But YOU WILL LOSE YOUR TOP END. It will be governed at 100 mph like the base VUEs. They have reprogrammed mine 3 times and are on line with GM Tech trying to get my top speed back. It came from the factory and would run 120+ mph.
Not sure if this affects newer RLs or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttigger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttigger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Hoagrod
Advanced Member
Hoagrod is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2005 vue rl recall beware

I just scheduled mine to get this done next friday. I'd like to learn more about this for sure even though I don't plan on going 120mph anytime soon. Holy neuter!!!

2006 Vue RedLine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hoagrod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hoagrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hoagrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

I'm sure it would. It also confirms that the top speed limiter is a simple PCM function that could be flashed over if a company wanted you to pay them to do it.

Hopefully they release another flash for RLs that preserves the top speed limiter and fixes the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttigger View Post
This is to reprogramm the PCM to eliminate gear hunting at 25-45 mph.
All well and good--But YOU WILL LOSE YOUR TOP END. It will be governed at 100 mph like the base VUEs. They have reprogrammed mine 3 times and are on line with GM Tech trying to get my top speed back. It came from the factory and would run 120+ mph.
Not sure if this affects newer RLs or not.
Not sure what's up with your '05, but I had my '06 Redline reprogrammed last Friday and tonight I verified that I do still have my 120mph governor. It flew right to 120mph without a single hitch tonight on my way home from work. It's possible that there is an issue with the reprogramming of the '05's in particular, but it makes me wonder if the wrong version of software is being used by your dealer to reprogram your Redline. Good luck getting your issue sorted out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
ttigger
ttigger is on a distinguished road

Can you post the program number that they used. It should me on your service order. Might be a big help if they can use the same one. I can't imagine any powertrain changes between the 05 and 06. (Both Honda)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttigger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttigger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
col_dude190
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttigger View Post
Can you post the program number that they used. It should me on your service order. Might be a big help if they can use the same one. I can't imagine any powertrain changes between the 05 and 06. (Both Honda)
There isn't too much on my service invoice. All that it lists is:

J# 1 48CVZ GM RECALL TECH(S):4028 WARRANTY
RECALL 10285 REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

JOB #1 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS 0.00

Not very descriptive. Not sure if any of that will help you at all. I'm assuming that the programming they used was based off of my VIN number. What you might have your dealer try is somehow inputing a '06 Redline VIN number and using whatever software version comes up that way. Just a suggestion. Also, my dealership was Classic Chevrolet in Mentor, Ohio. They are the closest SASP to where I live. Not sure, but they might be able to help your dealership out if they are looking for more answers about the programming. They were very helpful and pleasant to deal with (my first experience with a SASP and not a Saturn dealer) and I'm sure that they would help you guys out or at least point you in the right direction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
newbievueowner
Advanced Member
newbievueowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
There isn't too much on my service invoice. All that it lists is:

J# 1 48CVZ GM RECALL TECH(S):4028 WARRANTY
RECALL 10285 REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

JOB #1 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS 0.00

Not very descriptive. Not sure if any of that will help you at all. I'm assuming that the programming they used was based off of my VIN number. What you might have your dealer try is somehow inputing a '06 Redline VIN number and using whatever software version comes up that way. Just a suggestion. Also, my dealership was Classic Chevrolet in Mentor, Ohio. They are the closest SASP to where I live. Not sure, but they might be able to help your dealership out if they are looking for more answers about the programming. They were very helpful and pleasant to deal with (my first experience with a SASP and not a Saturn dealer) and I'm sure that they would help you guys out or at least point you in the right direction.
Did the reprogramming make a difference, meaning were you able to feel any change with the TC reprogram? Did your '06 have any issues to start with?

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
col_dude190
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbievueowner View Post
Did the reprogramming make a difference, meaning were you able to feel any change with the TC reprogram? Did your '06 have any issues to start with?
I did have the judder between 30 and 50 on occasion when the engine's RPMs dropped below 1500 or so, but it was something that I had always considered a part of how the Honda Transmission operated, as both my '04 and '06 Redlines did it. Everytime that I felt the judder got too annoying, I would always just change the transmission fluid and it tended to go away for awhile. I have found that changing the fluid every 20,000 miles or so has definitely helped with the issue.

The reprogramming has definitely made a difference in the way that the transmission shifts and when the TC engages and disengages. Now with my Vue since the reprogramming, the RPMs very rarely drop below 1500 rpm at low speeds (under 50mph) and the TC doesn't engage until somewhere between 50 and 55, which seems to prevent the lugging and juddering that I had before the reprogramming. I have been very impressed with the reprogramming so far and I am hoping that GM wises up and expands the campaign to include '04s as I now know that it would make a huge difference for my '04 as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
I did have the judder between 30 and 50 on occasion when the engine's RPMs dropped below 1500 or so, but it was something that I had always considered a part of how the Honda Transmission operated, as both my '04 and '06 Redlines did it. Everytime that I felt the judder got too annoying, I would always just change the transmission fluid and it tended to go away for awhile. I have found that changing the fluid every 20,000 miles or so has definitely helped with the issue.

The reprogramming has definitely made a difference in the way that the transmission shifts and when the TC engages and disengages. Now with my Vue since the reprogramming, the RPMs very rarely drop below 1500 rpm at low speeds (under 50mph) and the TC doesn't engage until somewhere between 50 and 55, which seems to prevent the lugging and juddering that I had before the reprogramming. I have been very impressed with the reprogramming so far and I am hoping that GM wises up and expands the campaign to include '04s as I now know that it would make a huge difference for my '04 as well.
Did you ever think to ask your Chevy dealer if they'd upload the firmware for your '04 using the VIN from your '06? I'd be interested to see how that would work out.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
col_dude190
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Did you ever think to ask your Chevy dealer if they'd upload the firmware for your '04 using the VIN from your '06? I'd be interested to see how that would work out.
No, I never took my '04 in to attempt to have it updated. My '04 is a very early '04 and it seems to have a very early version of the PCM software as it pulls extremely hard in first gear as compared to my '06. While its governed at 100mph, which is kind of annoying, I get a lot more use/fun out of my tire spinning unneutered first gear, so I have avoided having any sort of computer updates done on my '04.

As I said in the other thread, I have no doubt that the software update would work on my '04 as well because the PCMs are exactly the same. I just choose to keep my '04 as it is with its ancient programming. I just accept the fact that every 20k my Vues need their transmission fluid changed to avoid the transmission judder. Its just one of the many quirks of Vue ownership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!